Do You Still Own your 1st Uke?

Many better ukes have come-and-gone, but I still own the one that got me started :)
My wife got if for me as part of a birthday gift. I didn't want anything too expensive in case I gave-up on playing :eek:
I still play it on a regular basis, especially during the dry Chicago winters because I don't need to baby it. With Fremont strings, it still sounds surprisingly good :eek:
No, and i am sorry now that I sold it. It was a sweet little Silvertone. Back in 1989 I replaced it with a Martin. Many more ukes have come my way since then but for sentimental reasons I wish I had kept it. I recently got a similar 1930s Silvertone just because it reminded me of that very first uke.

Last edited:
Technically, yes...it is still in the house...it is my "wife's uke" though she rarely plays it (she's a piano gal).

Joyhn

Yes, it is a Lanikai LU21 soprano. I still play it almost daily. Don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Yes, I still have my first ukulele, and its my daily player. A Kamaka tenor. I bought it after I moved to Hawaii back in the early eighties.

I made it a point to keep my first ukulele. I'm actually not quite sure where it is right now...probably in a closet, but I do still have it. A Tangi Mahogany soprano. Cool little uke that I just kept by my computer when I was first learning to play. My first "real" ukulele is a Kanilea K1-T and I have kept that one as well--through all of the buying and selling I've done.

Yup, my Dad placed his pre-war Martin O in my hands on my 10th birthday. I'm now 71. Now a family heirloom and gets played regularly if not often. Amazing little instrument.

Yes and yes. My first uke is a Tahitian uke with carved totems and the whole bit. My sister brought it from Moorea as a gift to her wood worker brother four years ago. I stared at it for awhile then finally decided to learn how to play "one song" on it. The local music store didn't have any idea how to play it but sold me a Vineyard concert and a month's worth of lessons for $100.

My wood shop has since relocated to the same building as the music store, I host the Canogahana Players uke group twice a month at the store, there are now two Tahitian ukes in my inventory, and I play that Vineyard concert with greater ease than any of the dozen ukes I've purchased or the half dozen I've made.

1051.jpg

Not totally - my first uke was a Kala KA-ST that I bought in Maui when I didn't know anything. A couple of days later I bought a Islander soprano for my daughter and that was the one that hooked me on playing. A few months back I sold the Kala to get enough money to buy a Pono. I have promised my daughter I'll buy her a flea when she gets through the next Suzuki violin method book, and then I'll probably take over the islander. Definitely going to hang onto that one - its a neat little instrument that sounds pretty good and plays great. It doesn't technically count as my first ukulele, but it is the one that got me hooked.

No I don't but it did go to a good cause. My first was a yellow Mahalo soprano. After I got my Kanile'a, it became a dusty bag on the floor. When the uke club I was a part of got asked to perform at a wedding, I offered it up as an item for all the guests to sign as a keep sake for the bride and groom.

Yes, I could never get rid of my first uke, especially because it has a bunch of signatures.

My first uke was a Lanikai LU-21C. I returned it after less than a week and ordered a Kala KA-CE instead. I later sold the Kala but now I wish I hadn't. That was a great ukulele and it took almost 2 months for it to arrive. I'm playing a Pono these days.

No, I don't own my first ukulele.

Strictly Speaking, don't own my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th ukulele. :D
(Okay, my 3rd Ukulele was my Spongebob Pineapple that I still own but I lent it to a friend 16 months ago.)

But I still own all the other ukuleles I bought after this great ukulele fluctuation time and play them regularly ;)

(Except of a discounter ukulele I recently purchased to turn it into a clock. :rolleyes: )

Edit: Ah, sorry, that's not true. I bought and sold two other (cheap) ukuleles during my "keeping period"... :)

Last edited:
Got a pic of it :confused:

Here you go Paul.
002-7.jpg

Yes I still have my first uke and will never part with it; it was a present from my husband. It's the Greg Bennett UK50 mahogany laminate and it plays well - I keep it as my low G uke now and it's right beside me. Great thread....

Top Bottom