Does baking soda and superglue work on Tusq...?

Mike $

...or does it burn and make a mess like some other plastics do?

I replaced my nut with a bone one and would like to experiment on the old Tusq nut that was slotted off-center from the factory. Thanks.

Mike $

I am overwhelmed by all the responses to this thread. To anyone with interest, here is what I found out:
- Yes you can use Superglue and baking soda on a tusq nut and re-slot it.
- It is really easy to do if you have some files. (I got some Music Nomad files from Sweetwater, great service btw, that were really inexpensive and work great)
- You don't need to use baking soda. It works even better if you just pour superglue over the existing slots. When I tried with baking soda, it took 3 tries to get the slot filed without the soda/glue patch breaking apart. You should prepare the nut with blue tape or similar tape to avoid a mess and leave it on quite a while to ensure it's dry.
The experience was very educational. In addition, I experimented on the saddle to get better action throughout the neck. Most important take-away was that it is simple to do this myself and have gotten over the fear of making irreparable adjustments. I can always cut a new nut or saddle myself with confidence. Now to purchase some bone for further experimentation.

Kekani

I am overwhelmed by all the responses to this thread.
I’d imagine those of us in the Lounge that use Tusq for nuts (and saddles) would just replace the nut, so the lack of response could simply be that it’s not a common practice?

Ed1

UU VIP
I am overwhelmed by all the responses to this thread. To anyone with interest, here is what I found out: [SNIP]
I'm glad you asked and answered. I keep thinking that "tomorrow" I'll start working on setups on a few of my ukes and have wondered about this when I make my first mistake. So all that is now left for me is to make "tomorrow" change to "today."

Jerryc41

...or does it burn and make a mess like some other plastics do?

I replaced my nut with a bone one and would like to experiment on the old Tusq nut that was slotted off-center from the factory. Thanks.

Adam Savage, one of the guys from Mythbusters, did a segment on his YouTube channel about the usefulness of baking soda and super glue. It good for lots of things.

Timbuck

I could not reply to the thread as I did not have any Tusq or even know what it was...I had Baking Soda and CA glue if I had Tusq as well I would have gone out to the Shed and tried it out...Just as you did in the end, and answered your own question :)

Mike $

I’d imagine those of us in the Lounge that use Tusq for nuts (and saddles) would just replace the nut, so the lack of response could simply be that it’s not a common practice?

Yes, I gathered that. My opening statement was simply an amusing observation on the lack of interest in this thread?

I'm glad you asked and answered. I keep thinking that "tomorrow" I'll start working on setups on a few of my ukes and have wondered about this when I make my first mistake. So all that is now left for me is to make "tomorrow" change to "today."

I learned a lot doing this. First off, you don't need a separate file for each slot thickness. They recommend using up to 3/1000" (0.003" I believe) larger than your string gauge, so I only bought 2 files (0.028 and 0.033, I believe) for $15 each. Also, I learned that you don't have to buy a nut blank if you have a fine toothed saw and a de-greased dog bone (about $5 for more than a couple of saddles or nuts) that your dog is willing to part with. There is also a place that sells Mammoth Ivory blanks for $30 or so, which I think would be really cool to have on my uke. And, since they are extinct, there are no bans on the Ivory. So when I get pretty good at fitting the bone, I will splurge and buy some blanks and have a good story to tell about the cavemen who brought down the woolly mammoth who adorns my ukulele.

Adam Savage, one of the guys from Mythbusters, did a segment on his YouTube channel about the usefulness of baking soda and super glue. It good for lots of things.

Thanks, I just watched one with superglue and baby powder and got some great ideas.

I could not reply to the thread as I did not have any Tusq or even know what it was...I had Baking Soda and CA glue if I had Tusq as well I would have gone out to the Shed and tried it out...Just as you did in the end, and answered your own question :)

My hope was that someone had tried it already so I wouldn't have to. I guess, if I were a bit quicker in the brain, I could have experimented by putting a drop of glue on the underside to see if it burned through or set without disturbing the material.

Last edited:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

BTW, fossil ivories including mastodon and wooly mammoth are banned in at least a half a dozen states. Hawaii, California, Washington, New York and New Jersey are just a few that come to mind.