Don't you guys just hate it when

jaggtmolina

Reaction score
you see a dope cover on youtube and you ask for the chords and they never respond? whether it's cuz they just overlook it or just wanna be selfish, it sucks. ahaha. but hey! that's what i got my UU fam for. :)

you see a dope cover on youtube and you ask for the chords and they never respond? whether it's cuz they just overlook it or just wanna be selfish, it sucks. ahaha. but hey! that's what i got my UU fam for. :)

haha yes, it's pretty lame.. but ah well. there's nothing we can do about it. ><;;

and yes, yay for the UU fambam! :)<3

I hear you guys, and I understand. But I also see the other side where, these people go through all the time to figure out the song, then have to tab it out. Maybe they don't use or read tabs themselves and keep it all in their head. Which I find it very difficult to do. I've tried to tab out some songs myself from songs that I've found on youtube, or off mp3's. For me personally it takes me a couple of hours to figure a song out if I don't just give up from frustration. So for people like seeso, tsudawada sp?, dominator, who does these amazing tabs on guitarpro, and the others. Kudos to you for all the work you guys do.

Now I'm not knocking you guys at all, but just trying to open your eyes to all the work that gets done for the finished product, and just how lucky we all are to have so much help.

I'm with that Peanutz, we have to realize that some are skilled enough (wether by natural ability or training) to be able to learn songs by just watching or listening.

Often times this info is simply in their head, and not documented in a format that can be easily shared with others. For example, I have two brothers, who are both awesome musicians -- one has tremendous natural ability (seems he can pick up just about anything and 'just play') but understands very little about music theory, while the other has spent years study-train-study-train, is a freaking encyclopedia of music theory, but still has some trouble in the 'creative' or 'improv' side of things. When you put them together, the result, as you might imagine, is pretty amazing. As for me, maybe I'm adopted because I'm quite simply a math-head and have a very hard time from either angle, but I enjoy it all the same and am making progress, even if it's at a snail's pace, it makes me happy.

That said, if tabs/chords/whatever is available and you're willing to share, please do. On the other side of the coin, if not available, we simply have to understand that some of us are just built different. Us math-heads will just have to grind a little harder. :D

Have fun!

oh ya, i feel you guys. i'm not trying to hate :). i'm talking about just leaving the person hanging. know what i mean? i could totally understand if someone would've said "hey, i spent a lot of time figuring this out on my own and i don't want to just give you my work." that's dope. i understand. but it's just grimey when people just leave you with nothing. aha.

"peace. love. and ukes!" - saw that somewhere in this forum. :)

I think they should at least post the names chords they're using, especially if chords are not readily available at any of the tabs sites. Just put them in the video description area (sidebar). It's part of being a productive member of the community. It also cuts down on the number of emails you receive asking for the chords.

If they don't know the names of the chords they're playing, then I think they should say so in the vid description. Just say, "I don't know what chords I'm playing, so please don't request them." It does suck to be left hanging.

However, tabs are completely different. It takes a lot of time and effort to write out tabs. You also need to be able to understand a lot about theory. No one should be thought of as a jerk because they don't supply tabs. It's hard work.

Then there are those who just don't want anyone else to know what they're playing. While I understand that mentality, I don't agree with it. It's not really "selfish" per se. I mean, they spent all this time and effort into figuring a song out, why should someone else have all the fruits of that effort without putting in the work?

What really gets me is when someone posts a comment or emails me asking for the chords or tabs without first checking the video description. Almost all of my videos have a link to the tabs or chords in the sidebar, they just didn't bother to look. That gets my goat.

Some UTube musicians never post responses and i can understand that. They'd have to regularly monitor past videos and some of these people have lots of videos. It just becomes a lot of trouble for them. We're lucky to have access to the videos at all.

That said, I'm always appreciative when I get a response after I've left positive feedback.

Haven't heard that one in a while LOL.

seeso, you get a lot of responses to your vids - don't you get a little tired of feeling the need to always respond?

I don't get tired of it. These people took the time to comment one of my vids, which really help me out. It's the least I can do to say thanks.

That said, I've been slacking lately. I used to reply to every single comment. I kept that up for a good while, but for the last couple of months I've been terrible about it. I feel a little guilty about that.

I plan to take a day and start to cut into my back log of unanswered comments and emails. I've got about 200 unanswered emails to get to. Ack.

So pretty much Dominator is "king deach" of tabs?

Hah! I agree. Dominator is the Deach of tabs.

a lot of good points here. for me there are certain things that i will do and certain things i wont do.

i will help out when i can. i will try to lead you in the right direction.

i wont spoon feed you.

when i teach guitar to my students, they always want to learn to play chords first. but i keep telling them that its coming later. when they get an idea of how the music theory works, i teach them a few easy chords. A, C, and D. then i show them how those chords are put together. then their homework is to use the theory i taught them to figure out how to play E and G. i save B and F for later because of the barre.

give a man a fish and he eats for a day. teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

i know that we're all here to help each other. and im probably going to catch some crap for saying this, but its not hard to do a search for the same information that people are searching for to bring you the information that you are requesting.

for example:
if i want to learn the chords for "waiting in vain". i could take 5 seconds and google "waiting in vain chords" and BAM! the first result has chords.
or
i could take the time to search through youtube and find someone playing the song, post a comment requesting chords, and wait for a response (could take days). while im waiting i can go to my favorite music forum (ukulele underground, of course) and ask if someone could give me the chords to that song. and wait. and wait for someone to go to google and do a search for "waiting in vain chords" and post up a link to the results that they found.

i will admit that i am guilty of sometimes supplying too much info hehehe. but its usually stuff i can rattle off the top of my head without taking the time to place a well thought out search. but it also pains me to see that some people would consider it being left hanging if the person doing a cover didnt provide whatever was being requested. no one has an obligation to do anything of the sort, IMHO. i do try to respond, and ill give up the chords if i know them, and i usually say if i dont know the chords. but to be honest, my obligation is to my children and my work. so if that gets in the way of ever getting back to someone, and its looked at as if i am leaving someone hanging, why even bother?

Dom is the king kahuna of tabs. lol

just ask dom if he has the tabs you want. If he gets enough requests for a certain song he will probubly tab it out.

dont quote me though.

oh and everyone:

Dont pester the Dominator. He works really hard to make the tabs, but dont overload him with questions and requests.

ps: woothoo for the UU family!

a lot of good points here. for me there are certain things that i will do and certain things i wont do.

i will help out when i can. i will try to lead you in the right direction.

i wont spoon feed you.

when i teach guitar to my students, they always want to learn to play chords first. but i keep telling them that its coming later. when they get an idea of how the music theory works, i teach them a few easy chords. A, C, and D. then i show them how those chords are put together. then their homework is to use the theory i taught them to figure out how to play E and G. i save B and F for later because of the barre.

give a man a fish and he eats for a day. teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

i know that we're all here to help each other. and im probably going to catch some crap for saying this, but its not hard to do a search for the same information that people are searching for to bring you the information that you are requesting.

for example:
if i want to learn the chords for "waiting in vain". i could take 5 seconds and google "waiting in vain chords" and BAM! the first result has chords.
or
i could take the time to search through youtube and find someone playing the song, post a comment requesting chords, and wait for a response (could take days). while im waiting i can go to my favorite music forum (ukulele underground, of course) and ask if someone could give me the chords to that song. and wait. and wait for someone to go to google and do a search for "waiting in vain chords" and post up a link to the results that they found.

i will admit that i am guilty of sometimes supplying too much info hehehe. but its usually stuff i can rattle off the top of my head without taking the time to place a well thought out search. but it also pains me to see that some people would consider it being left hanging if the person doing a cover didnt provide whatever was being requested. no one has an obligation to do anything of the sort, IMHO. i do try to respond, and ill give up the chords if i know them, and i usually say if i dont know the chords. but to be honest, my obligation is to my children and my work. so if that gets in the way of ever getting back to someone, and its looked at as if i am leaving someone hanging, why even bother?

i feel you nuke. i see where you're coming from. :)

Top Bottom