Dumping Weight

There is nothing wrong with gaining weight. Now there are many ways to reset it. For example, I personally know a drug that helps in this and also replaces many food additives and normalizes blood sugar. you can also try.

Probably best to avoid letting things get to the point where you need a drug like that, if you can.

If someone needs a medication to normalize their blood sugar they should definitely take what their doctor prescribes.

But the existence of such medications doesn’t mean we should stop caring about healthy habits because there will be meds to help if we need them - if you have the option to avoid getting into a state where meds like that are necessary, that’s still healthier for you in the long run.

For example, I personally know a drug that helps

I don't know which drug you mean, but I spent a few years in medical education, with obesity as one of our specialties, and there are two brand news ones that are genuine gamechangers. In fact, if you look up "weight loss" and "game changer", you're going to find acres of results for semagulatide, which was approved in 2021, and it is indeed a game changer. SAFE weight loss of 15-20% total bodyweight had previously been unheard of without surgery, but this is doing that. A newer one, tirzepatide, is through FDA approval for Type 2 diabetes, and will be approved for weight loss any day now, and it's regularly showing up to 30% total bodyweight reduction!

Semagulatide also had its origins as a treatment for T2D, and is marketed under two names, depending on whether it's primarily for diabetes or obesity, but I did want to note: there's a tendency in American medicine (and culture) to view drugs and surgery as dishonorable shortcuts, that you need to somehow "earn" weight loss, when nothing could be farther from the truth. People are finding that the benefits of these treatments include sending Type 2 diabetes into remission, as long as you still have working beta cells left. Diabetes is by its nature a progressive disease, no matter how well its treated, so acting as quickly as possible with drugs and surgery is not only extending lifespans, but reducing overall health costs. Insurance is only part of the way along in catching up to this truth, but people should definitely be speaking to their doctors sooner rather than later about this!

the thing that really did it for me was starting on intermittent fasting - not eating for 16 hours straight.

Once I did that, for the first time in my life, my eating changed from a neurotic reaction to something that just addressed hunger. I actually would walk away from my favorite treats if I was not hungry. That hadn't happened for me for 60 years.

Like you, @greenie44, I've struggled most of my life with this. Four times, I've lost over 50 pounds, the biggest of which was over 80 pounds, and the most recent of which is happening right now. 🤣 I'm down just over 50, with another 5-ish to go to come in for a landing. Even though I'm in my 60s now, there are ways in which this round has been the easiest, because of THIS.

The best tip I got was to start slowly. If you normally eat breakfast at 7, wait until 8 for five days, then take the weekend off.

The following week, breakfast at 9 for five days, take the weekend off. The week after that, breakfast at 10 for five days, take the weekend off.

The goal that was suggested for me was noon, so basically no breakfast, but on purpose, and be done with eating by 4 -- so yes, a four-hour window. It wasn't super easy to get there, but once I got there, the weight came off the easiest that it ever has, and like @greenie44, I found my success so motivating that it was easy to ignore the siren call of treats.

The reason why taking the weekend off works is that by narrowing the eating window, you're giving your mitochondria time to repair themselves, which buys you metabolic flexibility. You don't NEED to do do it every day, and the success keeps your "off" days from turning into food orgies, which is exactly what used to happen to me. :)

Your mileage will vary, but I definitely found that adjusting the window to be earlier in the day rather than later makes a BIG difference....but hey, if you work in the world, and your spouse wants to have dinner with you, then make it more like noon to 7 or 8, but unless you're awake until midnight, that's going to make things a LOT harder. Your body will do the work if you let it, but maximizing your chance of success also means maximizing the distance between the end of eating and when you sleep. :) Again, that's when your body is repairing itself, and building in that metabolic flexibility.

I tweak the time of day and size of the window to act almost as a gas pedal-brake system. Tighten the window, make it earlier = faster weight loss; wider window, later = slower weight loss.

There are additional nuances with what you're eating (some things you just can't eat if you want to lose weight, and they're probably not at all what you're thinking), but for most people, just narrowing the window will be enough for at least a few pounds. You can take it from there as your needs apply...

....but tightening up that eating window will work for pretty much anyone.

Or you could just throw 75lbs on your back and go for a hike up the local hills.

I was after muscle gain not weight loss, but I imagine it would get anyone fit, and pull fat off you if you have too much.

Or you could just throw 75lbs on your back and go for a hike up the local hills.

I was after muscle gain not weight loss, but I imagine it would get anyone fit, and pull fat off you if you have too much.

Probably depends on someone’s health status whether or not they can safely do that.

Intense exercise is good for prevention. But for someone who’s already obese and diabetic, going for a hike with 75 pounds on their back may not be physically possible, and if they try it might lead to injury or heart attack.

For those of us who still have the option, I’m all in favor of diet and exercise to prevent future problems. (And I need to pay more attention to this - my exercise hours have been dropping as my ukulele hours have increased!)

But due to a lack of time machines, a lot of people don’t have that option. If someone is already obese and facing health issues from that, then there should be no shame at all in using medications their doctor has prescribed to help improve their health.

Probably depends on someone’s health status whether or not they can safely do that.

Intense exercise is good for prevention. But for someone who’s already obese and diabetic, going for a hike with 75 pounds on their back may not be physically possible, and if they try it might lead to injury or heart attack.

For those of us who still have the option, I’m all in favor of diet and exercise to prevent future problems. (And I need to pay more attention to this - my exercise hours have been dropping as my ukulele hours have increased!)

But due to a lack of time machines, a lot of people don’t have that option. If someone is already obese and facing health issues from that, then there should be no shame at all in using medications their doctor has prescribed to help improve their health.
True.

I got grossly unfit over the last few years, but I was still basically healthy, just lazy.

Losing weight is easy, I've done it plenty of times! :) but seriously, IF worked for me, allowing me to lose 40+ lbs, and more importantly, maintain that for years. My eating window is 12pm to 8pm, and I don't even think of food till1-2pm. Of course, morning coffee is mandatory, and lots of water. Once you get used to it, it just becomes a way of life, but I understand that some folks just can't give up breakfast.

Last edited:
My eating window is 12pm to 8pm, and I don't even think of food till1-2pm. Of course, morning coffee is mandatory, and lots of water. Once you get used to it, it just becomes a way of life....

That's the thing. Once you climb up the hill (and the "start an hour later each week" trick really does work!), the momentum shifts, and it feels like the wind is at your back. It felt almost like my body got in gear, and everything was moving in the same direction. It's so nice to feel like I'm not fighting for every step of progress!

There is nothing wrong with gaining weight. Now there are many ways to reset it. For example, I personally know a drug that helps in this and also replaces many food additives and normalizes blood sugar. So you can try buy victoza online or in local pharmacy and check the result out by yourself.

Ah-ha!! It’s a sneaky spam account that goes back and edits the spam link in later. (“buy victoza online” is a link in the post, I removed the link in the quoted version to avoid giving the spamvertized bogus online pharmacy site another link.)

Original pre-edit post that a few of us replied to:

There is nothing wrong with gaining weight. Now there are many ways to reset it. For example, I personally know a drug that helps in this and also replaces many food additives and normalizes blood sugar. you can also try.

I thought the whole “There is nothing wrong with gaining weight because you can just take a drug to lose it again.” thing sounded a little bizarre…

Last edited:
Top Bottom