E+ chord?

Down Up Dick, I concur, I never started understanding music theory at all until I started trying to learn to play bass.
None of it makes a bit of sense reading about it, to me. Nor on the ukulele. Just the bass. Why? Who knows.
Me three. I think it's because you play a bit closer to the metal: basic bass technique involves knowing how chords are built so you can arpeggiate them. You can get much further on uke or guitar learning the chord shapes without understanding how to build them.

Piano also makes the relationships clearer by laying out the notes linearly instead of on a fingerboard grid.

A lot of what I learned academically for guitar and uke started to make sense once I applied it to bass and keys.

I play it just like the C+ (1003) or sometimes from an E7 (1202) I extend my finger on the
1st (A) string out from the 2nd fret to the 3rd fret (1203) :) [I actually play C+ that way
as well (1203)]

keep uke'in',

I play it just like the C+ (1003) or sometimes from an E7 (1202) I extend my finger on the
1st (A) string out from the 2nd fret to the 3rd fret (1203) :) [I actually play C+ that way
as well (1203)]

keep uke'in',
Yes I like that shape too. These augmented chords are nice for certain transitions. It's not only an E+ and C+ but also an Ab+. If you insist on E as lowest note (root) then 5443 is a solution for re-entrant.

That shape's fine if you rely on the nut. But I had trouble with it once I had to replace the nut with a barre. I will practice some more and see if I cannot overcome it.

We all know the diagonal Δ7 shape. For example FΔ7 is 10 9 8 7. All you do is lower the C string a fret to 10 8 8 7 and you have the one augmented shape. Then to play any augmented chord you just move the shape until your target note is covered by one of your fingers and you have your augmented chord in the key you want.
You might want to define "we". I have no idea what a diagonal Delta 7 shape is - never heard the term before tonight.

I neither read notation nor tab, play strictly by ear, although I generally understand chord shapes and move all over the fretboard when I play.

But the theory discussions, and the assumption that we _all_ can follow them, much less understand them...? I can understand the individual words, but I can feel the drooling from the side of my mouth when I get about halfway through the posts...

I'm sorry; I never meant to be obfuscating or divisive. All I was saying is that if you take the diagonal chord shape that is illustrated in the Mel Bay or Hal Leonard book of chords, and then move the ring finger down a fret and the pinky down a fret...then you have the augmented shape which can be moved anywhere. And as long as one of your fingers is covering the note you're after (in this thread the E) then you're playing the augmented chord of that note (the E augmented). I know this isn't very profound, and I kind of knew it, but it became really clear to me while participating in this thread.

10 8 8 7 isn't an augmented chord. That is an F minor major 7 chord. To make an augmented chord, you simply raise the 5th note of your major triad. So, from an F chord 10 9 8 8, you raise the 2nd string up one fret to 10 9 9 8. For an E aug chord, it's 9887, but it is much easier to play 5443. You have a lot more room for your fingers down the neck. The Aug chord shape repeats every 4 frets, similar to how the dim7 chord repeats every 3 frets.

10 8 8 7 isn't an augmented chord. That is an F minor major 7 chord. To make an augmented chord, you simply raise the 5th note of your major triad. So, from an F chord 10 9 8 8, you raise the 2nd string up one fret to 10 9 9 8. For an E aug chord, it's 9887, but it is much easier to play 5443. You have a lot more room for your fingers down the neck. The Aug chord shape repeats every 4 frets, similar to how the dim7 chord repeats every 3 frets.
yeah, that was a typo. I'm doing it right but I just put the numbers down wrong. More importantly I'm enjoying it and using it less. At first I was using them everywhere kind of how on the harmonica you bend all notes once you learn how. Discretion comes over time.

Top Bottom