Earthquake and Ukes!!

costaricadave

Reaction score
Had a super close call with both of my ukes today. I make it a point to put my Moore Bettah in its case every night after I am done playing. Then carefully putting it on a counter safe away from my 5 year old. I strung my Mainland Low G and have been playing it some everyday too. So both ukes have been out and about. The Mainland has been just sitting on my TV stand at night. Well....Today we had a 7.9 Earthquake. I was fairly sure that the mainland would have fell off the TV stand onto the tile floor and was scared that the MB might have shook off it's resting place as well. It at least was in it's case. Thankfully both survived as did the house and pool. But...I now will make sure both Ukes are closer to the floor!! Close call....

A true UU-er, first thought (well probably second or third actually) is Are the ukes okay?

Having been through a few big quakes here in L.A. I can empathize and am glad you are okay down there in C.R.! We had a little 3.3 here locally and generally the only concern with those is waiting in the moment to see if it gets bigger, and when it is over wondering if it is a foreshock to The Big One.

Glad to hear you, the house/pool and ukes all made it thru. Living in SoCal, this is just another reason I don't believe in leaving ukes on wall hangers.

Having been through a few big quakes here in L.A. I can empathize and am glad you are okay down there in C.R.! We had a little 3.3 here locally and generally the only concern with those is waiting in the moment to see if it gets bigger, and when it is over wondering if it is a foreshock to The Big One.
I hear you on that! I could handle a 3.3 easy if I knew that's all it was going to be. But you never know. Having lived thru a 9.2, the slightest tremor has me terrified wondering if that's only the beginning.

Sounds like you were all shook up. Glad the ukes and you are ok....

I bought a wall hanger a few months ago but never put it up. Glad now that I didn't. All of the pictures and mirrors were off of the wall or barely hanging on. I am pretty sure my MB would have taken a pretty nasty fall. It will continue to live in it's case.

I bought a wall hanger a few months ago but never put it up. Glad now that I didn't. All of the pictures and mirrors were off of the wall or barely hanging on. I am pretty sure my MB would have taken a pretty nasty fall. It will continue to live in it's case.
I have actually been thinking about getting a wall hanger, but not as a storage solution, just as a place to put my uke when I'm taking a break during practicing like going to the bathroom, or cooking/eating dinner or going outside to imbibe some stale air.

Meanwhile, I just use a little floor stand for temporary use. Otherwise, they always go back into their cases out of harm's way. :)

I'd heard about the earthquake earlier today. I'm glad you, your ukes and your home and pool got away unscathed. That sounded like one massive earthquake.

Top Bottom