eBay Ukulele War Stories?

My older brother was a bit of a master at sniping. He did buy a lot of testing equipment on eBay for his work. I’m not sure how much he tried to go low on those, but knowing him, he would probably be knee deep in the bidding.

He told that at one time he’d run 2 or 3 computers. As he would say, sometimes an unemotional max bid that looks like it will lose doesn’t leave enough time to re-enter a bid. So he would log into his eBay account on 3 computers. He would have his unemotional bid on one computer, an I-could-live-with-going-this-high bid on another computer, and an I’m not going to lose this on a third computer. Depending on the item, he would or would not place additional bids. He did have the disposable income, but he liked to play the game.

Of course if someone lists a low enough Buy It Now, he, like anyone else, would just buy it.

John

Ebay was set up to exploit that "I'm not going to lose this" feeling.

They MIGHT be, but a) they become fodder for people who are emotional bidders who need to win for their psyches, and b) they often haven't really placed their max bids because if they had, they wouldn't bid again when they aren't the high bidder. Last minute bidding is the closest thing to a blind bag where you get one shot and everyone shows their hand at the end. Early bidding just invites peoples' egos to the party. Ebay bidding is set up for egos.

While I agree with what you’re saying, again, the judgement I’m reading between the lines in how it is being said really rubs me the wrong way.

Then again, since we’re typing, tone and all that is incredibly hard to “hear”, and I suppose I am being somewhat judgmental about your opinion myself.

I just hate to see normal discussions devolve into these “talking past one another” arguments that this thread seems to have turned into. In the end, we are all aiming to do the same thing on eBay—win what we want at a price we are happy paying—just with our own different methods.

We’ve gone way off track from the OP’s request for our best “bidding battles” or buyer’s remorse stories. Can we please get back to that and off this now somewhat tedious discussion about the “best way to bid”?

Edit: re-reading the OP, it does seem there was a question about the way others bid to avoid being disappointed. That said, I’d still like to see this discussion around the merits of bidding software vs live “emotional” bidding end. We’ve all had our say, and clearly no one is changing their opinion or tune.

Last edited:
While I agree with what you’re saying, again, the judgement I’m reading between the lines in how it is being said really rubs me the wrong way.

Then again, since we’re typing, tone and all that is incredibly hard to “hear”, and I suppose I am being somewhat judgmental about your opinion myself.

I just hate to see normal discussions devolve into these “talking past one another” arguments that this thread seems to have turned into. In the end, we are all aiming to do the same thing on eBay—win what we want at a price we are happy paying—just with our own different methods.

We’ve gone way off track from the OP’s request for our best “bidding battles” or buyer’s remorse stories. Can we please get back to that and off this now somewhat tedious discussion about the “best way to bid”?

Edit: re-reading the OP, it does seem there was a question about the way others bid to avoid being disappointed. That said, I’d still like to see this discussion around the merits of bidding software vs live “emotional” bidding end. We’ve all had our say, and clearly no one is changing their opinion or tune.

The discussion answers the OP's question and would help anyone who would like to have fewer frustrating, disappointing experiences. Some posters have asked questions and they have been answered. If the posting is annoying you, I hope you realize I am not forcing you to read them. Some theories say that people get upset when their "triggers" are hit. Maybe you can ask yourself what "triggers" are being hit here and why they bother you. Everyone is at one time inexperienced, and being human, we all can get "emotional". Emotions are one of the strongest driving forces for us and ebay, as a multi-billion dollar company, has it down to a science how to use our emotions to increase sales. I have never tried to change your method of bidding. You might quite possibly love the thrill of bidding wars. But not everyone does.

The discussion answers the OP's question and would help anyone who would like to have fewer frustrating, disappointing experiences. Some posters have asked questions and they have been answered. If the posting is annoying you, I hope you realize I am not forcing you to read them. Some theories say that people get upset when their "triggers" are hit. Maybe you can ask yourself what "triggers" are being hit here and why they bother you. Everyone is at one time inexperienced, and being human, we all can get "emotional". Emotions are one of the strongest driving forces for us and ebay, as a multi-billion dollar company, has it down to a science how to use our emotions to increase sales. I have never tried to change your method of bidding. You might quite possibly love the thrill of bidding wars. But not everyone does.

So just one more question and I'll let it go. Do you think that by doing what you are doing, using your software and holding out until the last seconds to bid, you are saving these uninformed and unsophisticated bidders from suffering angst? Is your point to say that eventually they will realize that bidding is futile for them, therefore they should wisely step aside and quit mucking up the bidding? Because that is kind of what it is sounding like to me. Correct me please if I am wrong.

Last edited:

I don’t think I need to justify thinking that judging others isn’t a great thing to do. And honestly, I’m not “triggered” at all, or feel forced to read your repeated opinions. I’ve done so willingly, and simply want this and other discussions here to stray less into speculating what might motivate others and stick to simply stating one’s own opinion. I just think the judgmental language is unnecessary to effectively state your case, which again I think has been done several times over.

I’ll refrain from continuing to add to this thread of discussion and simply express my hope to see something new next time this thread is updated.

So just one more question and I'll let it go. Do you think that by doing what you are doing, using your software and holding out until the last seconds to bid, you are saving these uninformed and unsophisticated bidders from suffering angst? Is you point to say that eventually they will realize that bidding is futile for them, therefore they should wisely step aside and quit mucking up the bidding? Because that is kind of what it is sounding like to me. Correct me please if I am wrong.
How would my using software for MYSELF save anyone else from anything? It saves me from suffering any angst because if I win, which I normally do, I am happy and if I don't, I don't second guess myself because I bid my max without inviting others to outbid me. I can't remember the last time I experienced the frustration the OP mentioned. I've certainly never bid more than I was comfortable with and later regretted it. I have no desire to get in a bidding war and I never do, though I do bid. It is simply a more pleasurable experience for ME. If ebay was set up in a way that people thought their bidding was futile, it would have gone out of business long ago. Now my question - please explain exactly what I SAID that pointed to that I would consider my using software was capable of saving anyone else from angst? I only said it saves the user angst. AND YOUR words are uninformed and unsophisticated. Mine were inexperienced and unskilled, which EVERY sniper was.

Last edited:
I have just seen a picture of Sebastian Vettel the racing driver after he lost an eBay auction after the Canadian Grand Prix. He must have set up a bid before the race and then at the end something had gone wrong and he lost.

I think Lewis Hamilton was the winning bidder...

How would my using software for MYSELF save anyone else from anything? It saves me from suffering any angst because if I win, which I normally do, I am happy and if I don't, I don't second guess myself because I bid my max without inviting others to outbid me. I can't remember the last time I experienced the frustration the OP mentioned. I've certainly never bid more than I was comfortable with and later regretted it. I have no desire to get in a bidding war and I never do, though I do bid. It is simply a more pleasurable experience for ME. If ebay was set up in a way that people thought their bidding was futile, it would have gone out of business long ago. Now my question - please explain exactly what I SAID that pointed to that I would consider my using software was capable of saving anyone else from angst? I only said it saves the user angst. AND YOUR words are uninformed and unsophisticated. Mine were inexperienced and unskilled, which EVERY sniper was.
I'm just moving on here my friend. We're not going anywhere with this discussion. I'm not even sure we are having the same discussion. Carry on and have a good day. :)

Right now I’m picturing the poor OP sitting, head in hands, wondering “What the heck just happened here?”

Back to a few stories. Years ago I bid on an 80’s loaded pickguard for a Strat. I won the auction for a lot more than I bid, except I inadvertently bid $14,700 instead of $147. I contacted the seller and showed him what I did. He contacted the second bidder who accepted the second chance. I offered the difference, but the seller said not to worry about it. Afterwards I realized I was just pushing the bid up.

I’ve had a few auctions where I won at a ridiculously low amount and the seller told me there was supposed to be a reserve. If it is an honest mistake I’ll just ask for a credit back. I usually tell them that they may want to re-consider that $75 reserve on an item I won for $1.04.

On musical instruments I won’t buy unless I can return the item. There are just too many potential issues. When I buy used I expect non-perfection, but “mint” can sometimes be all over the place.

John

Back when I first joined UU, I had no ukuleles, and did so because I really wanted a preowned Pono baritone uke, and couldn't respond to ads in the marketplace until I joined. With the first two ads I responded to, I "missed it by that much". The second one was a particular letdown. But fortune was smiling on me because a few days later, as I refreshed my eBay search tab which I also kept an eye on, a "buy it now" appeared for the same MBD model, and had just been listed in the past hour. I jumped on it. It was one of those marked 2nds, and cost $300 including an Oahu case, a ukulele stand and shipping. Now, all that was left was the waiting (it was coming from clear across the country)!

The seller said the stand would have to be shipped separately, no big deal, but it came within 2 days via priority mail! Duh? I really didn't care about the stand, and subsequently gave it to a friend. I had to wait another several days for the instrument itself, which came via ground. But when it finally arrived, it did not disappoint! It was clearly one of those instances of "somebody bought a baritone, and then decided it was not their instrument after a very short time". It looked brand new! And to this day, I remain baffled that it was marked a 2nd, as I could never find a flaw on it. And it was love at first sight, and instant bonding as soon as I had it tuned in fifths.

bratsche

What were you hoping to buy?

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. After submitting a bid with days to spare and after upping my max bid 3 times before starting this post (basically what all of the pros said not to do) I actually ended up winning the uke that I wanted. I think it’s winning if I ended up below my max bid, right? Anyway, I ended up with. Circa 1935 “Historic Mahogany Pineapple (30's)” described here minus the paint. Kamaka Historic ukulele

I think I lucked out by ending up with this for about $200. It’s rough but it’s a pineapple and it’s cool to think that maybe Sam Kamaka himself made it.

Again, thanks to all who shared their thoughts and stories. You all made for a memorable thread.

8009B2C3-EB96-43F7-B888-83B4EED250B6.jpg1F9CEF52-F1E2-4F3C-8871-E50348F92D7D.jpg

Another consideration is the timing of the end of the auction. If it ends at 2:00 AM, not many people will be around watching it. I've read several times that Sunday is a good ending day, and 6:00 PM west coast time (9:00 PM eastern) is a good time to end it.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. After submitting a bid with days to spare and after upping my max bid 3 times before starting this post (basically what all of the pros said not to do) I actually ended up winning the uke that I wanted. I think it’s winning if I ended up below my max bid, right? Anyway, I ended up with. Circa 1935 “Historic Mahogany Pineapple (30's)” described here minus the paint. Kamaka Historic ukulele

I think I lucked out by ending up with this for about $200. It’s rough but it’s a pineapple and it’s cool to think that maybe Sam Kamaka himself made it.

Again, thanks to all who shared their thoughts and stories. You all made for a memorable thread.

View attachment 118852View attachment 118853

Neat! I saw this keep popping up on my eBay “related items” list, and I would’ve joined the fray if I hadn’t found my Nunes soprano. That put a quick stop to my vintage UAS.

That said, a nice pre-war Martin S2 is high on my “to save for” list.

Congrats again! I hope you’ll get it fixed up and restored like the gold label you posted about!

Another consideration is the timing of the end of the auction. If it ends at 2:00 AM, not many people will be around watching it. I've read several times that Sunday is a good ending day, and 6:00 PM west coast time (9:00 PM eastern) is a good time to end it.

Good tip for the sellers out there. But the whole software auto-bidding thing kind of negates the idea that an auction that ends at an odd time could be more easily won.

All this eBay talk has forced me to look for ukes on eBay. Bad posters! Bad posters!

There's a nice Kala KA-15 starting at only $29.99. Now all I have to decide is how high to bid, when to bid, and whether or not to use bidding software. :)

EDIT: I see that Good Will in Seattle is selling on eBay. Clever of them.

Top Bottom