Ebony fretboards

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just arrived today 3 excellent guitar fretboards I found on Amazon at the right price ans quality, I will get 12 soprano boards from these and enough left over for some bindings as well.
9B2F8E02-9B93-4724-A67E-A81B52E5320F by Ken Timms,

Timbuck
Thats a great find. You said you will use it for bindings also. Is it Ebony? If so, is it difficult to bend.
Ed

I don't know about Ken and others, but I find ebony extremely difficult to bend for bindings. I usually get a little crack right there at the waist and these are tenors. I think the key is thinning them overall and especially at the waist. I tried the repair trick with CA glue with limited success (none). Usually I ended up trashing them which is a crying shame :( Ebony is too rare and beautiful to be trashing. Is is almost a sin.

I don't know about Ken and others, but I find ebony extremely difficult to bend for bindings. I usually get a little crack right there at the waist and these are tenors. I think the key is thinning them overall and especially at the waist. I tried the repair trick with CA glue with limited success (none). Usually I ended up trashing them which is a crying shame :( Ebony is too rare and beautiful to be trashing. Is is almost a sin.
I can't remember it's I've ever bent ebony...I'll have go and see if it can be done...I remember Chuck saying that he bends it sometimes for bindings.

I can bend it fine for the upper and lower bouts and it holds and takes the shape well with little spring back, it's just that final waist bend and... a little crack along the grain line. Good luck.

I just finished sanding down these ebony fretboard blanks...16 boards in total from 4 guitar blanks ... it worked out at 2.49 GBP or 3.45 USD each :)

As for bending ebony for bindings ... I search a few Guitar forums for tips and here is one I liked.

[FONT=&quot]One of my favorite 'tricks' for bending binding that doesn't like to bend is to thin it. I generally thin my binding to ~1.6mm and then use a matching inner 'purfling' piece at ~.6mm. This gives the visual effect of a 'wider' binding but makes manipulating tricky woods a walk in the park.[/FONT]

Last edited:
I have bent ebony for bindings several times. It is not so difficult.

Top Bottom