Entry Level Hawaiian Brands ?

M3Ukulele

Honestly, I’d just buy a Pono AT, MT or MGT Mango for $399 in Satin finish. Nice geared tuners. You can get in Pinapple shape also. I have an AT solid Acacia and love it. I also have a MTD-SP by Pono with gloss finish and more expensive ukuleles but for that price you cannot beat the quality and sound. Check out HMS who have all three and a pineapple mango I think at $349 on special. Even though Pono is made in Indonesia, their roots and design are all Hawaiian!

Peter Frary

I've seen a lot of Hawaii made instruments for sale at swap meets and craft shows here on Oahu. Usually a one man shop in his garage. Quality varies but I've bought really nice sounding all koa 'ukuleles for around $200-300 more than once. Really plain koa and rustic finish but very playable and good sounding. A few years back I was walking to the community garden in Moiliili and saw an elderly man building 'ukuleles in his car port. He let me play one and it was amazing. I bought it on the spot for $240 (all solid koa tenor). I bought a second one for a student the week after but that was it. I returned a few month later but he had promised instruments to a local music store and wouldn't sell out his door anymore.