f*Bb*D*G Tuning - Songs to try

Joko

Reaction score
I've just started playing with this full-step down tuning, and I like the sound. I'm using "Low-F" tuning on a tenor, and I'm asking anyone out there who has tried it too for suggestions. If going a step up leads one to Tin Pan Alley, where does one step down lead?

I've just started playing with this full-step down tuning, and I like the sound. I'm using "Low-F" tuning on a tenor, and I'm asking anyone out there who has tried it too for suggestions. If going a step up leads one to Tin Pan Alley, where does one step down lead?
I use this tuning on tenors sometimes. Both with low F and high F. It really just leads to playing the stuff you already play 1 step down. Depending on your vocal range it may or may not make certain songs easier to sing. I personally think reentrant tenors sound better tuned to this way compared to standard C6 tuning. Again though it’s really just a tonal difference from the lower tension and lower pitch and potentially a difference in how easily you can sing along to what your playing (just the reverse of a capo). That really it.

First off, when you write f Bb D G, you are telling us that you are using high f tuning. F Bb D G is low F tuning. Secondly, why do you think that a step up leads to Tin Pan Alley? You can tune the uke however you want and play any song, in any key that you want to play as long as you develop the ability to play chord shapes in more than one place on the neck.

It leads where ever you want.

The string intervals are the same as GCEA tuning, you can play anything that is written in GCEA using the same shapes and it will sound like music.

It will sound in a different key, like it will be transposed. If you do not know what all that means, I suggest you take some time to learn what it means before continuing, and if you do that, you will have no troubles finding tunes to play.
I suppose I should have clarified I was looking for other uke players to share titles of songs that they thought sounded better than the original key when played with this tuning. It's not the same as just transposing; it's halfway to an entirely different intstrument.

"If you do not know what all that means," ...rather condescending thing to say. Aloha, Bill.

Secondly, why do you think that a step up leads to Tin Pan Alley?
English tuning is the norm for that genre. 100 years ago, D-tuning was predominant, so to me at least, songs played with aDF#B don't necessarily have to sound that way, but it does take the ear that direction. I have a friend who used English or Canadian tuning for an entire album. It gives the whole compilation more of a yesteryear flavor.

:::f Bb D G, you are telling us that you are using high f tuning. F Bb D G is low F tuning:::

My mistake in the notation. F Bb D G

What got me interested in this alternate tuning was learning "Hometown Blues" by Steve Earle. He plays it on guitar with a capo on 4. I wondered then how it would sound on a tenor with the capo at (-2).

(Yes, I realize I was off by a half tone)

I hope it sounded okay.

Like you, I do not cherish the tin pan alley sound. For the last two of three years I have played EAC#F# and sometimes even a half-step lower if I let the uke de-tune itself. To be honest, I cannot think of a single song that doesn't sound better less twangy. I mostly compose in E which in my tuning is actually Db, but I am very happy with my sound.

I love Bb tuning on tenors, a much better sound to my ears, since many tenors resonate better in that tuning. I've also been tuning my sopranos down a 1/2 step to B, for a slightly fuller sound. There's no rules, no uke police, do what sounds good to you!

Edit: oh sorry, there IS a uke police

I've found an old "Ukulele Ike" book in the piano bench. Half the songs are written in Bb. Sure does sound great on a tenor.

I would think that a main reason to tune down a bit is for people who don't like to sing in key of C and for whatever reason don't transpose their chords. On the other hand, if I had a spare tenor I would probably tune it in re-entrant G like the first tenors were tuned a hundred years ago. Would the tension really be that different from linear C for that?

I love that tuning on my tenor - love it. And I tend to adopt it for old-fashioned more soulful jazz songs (and play "as if" I'm in standard tuning). It works well for those types of songs for me as lots is originally in the key of Eb or Bb (but played on transposing instruments, so "as if" in easier keys). Apologies if this is all something you already know!

Last edited:
Top Bottom