fake kamaka?

tupacboy

Hi everyone!

Happy Friday!

I posted this on reddit and grobedam referred me to here =)

My dad (70 yrs old soon) wants a vintage kamaka for his 70th, after some research I read on a few places there was era of fakes but can't really find good info on what to look for?

Any help / guidance is appreciated

Blank Williams

I’m not familiar with fake Kamakas but I do have some experience with vintage ones. Have you already looked at some? The few that I have seen for sale currently all appear to be legit. Kamaka changed minor features in their ukes a lot over the years so you’re best bet is to post a few that you’re looking at and get opinions that way. But in all honesty I don’t think fake Kamakas are all that common or something you need to worry too much about. Oh and for what it’s worth I don’t claim to be an expert, I’m just a fan of vintage Kamakas so take that for what it is.

rainbow21

Hi everyone!

Happy Friday!

I posted this on reddit and grobedam referred me to here =)

My dad (70 yrs old soon) wants a vintage kamaka for his 70th, after some research I read on a few places there was era of fakes but can't really find good info on what to look for?

Any help / guidance is appreciated
Just make your purchase from a seller that has a physical store as well. Do not purchase from eBay or a separate listing on a site that does not usually sell ukuleles.

ghostrdr

What are you calling vintage? The new ones are pretty nice and I think they’ve made some improvements over the years. What size are you looking for? Standard (soprano), concert or tenor?

man0a

Vintage Kamaka's are difficult to fake because of their great build quality and real light weight. I would be more worried about a vintage Kamaka that was in poor condition. Ukuleles that are played regularly for decades are bound to pick up scratches and dents, not to mention normal wear to the frets and fretboard. Ukuleles that are not properly humidified may have warps and cracks that are expensive to fix.