Famous-Japan. New Soprano variant

I've often wondered about what makes a Soprano vs concert, considering the long neck variations.

It's an ongoing point of confusion for me.
It's not helped when there are other ukuleles out there that mention they have a Soprano body, concert neck, with a tenor scale, such as the Jake Shimabakuro laminated model that are described this way.

Thanks for mentioning the neck length.
Ill keep that in mind; 13" for Soprano, and 15" for concert.
Kanile'a sopranos have 14 frets to the body (with a 13.5 inch scale length). I like this design since it gives me more room when playing up the neck. Imua used to use this design as well. I'm sure there are other brands that do this. https://theukulelesite.com/kanile-a-premium-koa-soprano-k-1-s-prem-tru-r-g-22461.html

A concert-scale ukulele should have a scale length of 15-16 inches. Soprano scale length is 13-14 inches. Super-soprano or long-neck soprano is usually a concert scale length with smaller body size. I'm pretty sure the Shima ukulele is advertised as concert-scale.

I just saw this while browsing.
A new variation of their Eco Series (laminated).

What's different compared to their FS-1:

1.) It's in a "Matcha" color, which is green tea powder.

2.) The body is made from black walnut.

3.) Gold tuners.

I thought is was interesting. Only 50 made.

Here's a link:

I think it looks pretty nice based on the pictures.
My wife things it's ugly.
I'm curious what people think about this one.

View attachment 142432
I like it a lot. Overall effect is what you might end up with if you left a Bruko in a beach chair (sans umbrella) all afternoon.

After falling in love with my recently purchased Kiwaya KPC-1M, it wasn't hard to follow up that purchase today of a Famous FS-5G from Amazon, of all places!

Top Bottom