Favilla - Dating

RickL

Hello All - I just bought my first ukulele three days ago; a Favilla Baritone with no label and a stamped S/N; trying to figure out it's age based on the S/N; I'm a singer-songwriter; and I publish Guitar International Magazine (2005 - 2021)....just discovered this fine site! Rick

Nickie

Welcome Rick. I'm sorry, I know squat about Favila ukuleles.

Ukecaster

You can email the utmost authority, Tom Favilla, at thomasfavilla@yahoo.com. He has loads of info on his family's instruments, and has always answered my questions on ukes. Good luck!

Last edited:

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
I had a baritone with same configuration; no label inside or serial number. Tom said they were from '46-53. With label around 1954. Also mentioned Favilla was the first to make baritones. They were designed for kids learning guitar as most guitars with 6 strings was too bid for their hands. They quickly realized the market for a larger ukulele hence the baritone was produced.

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Since I couldn't find a way to edit the above post here is what Tom told me:
Nice work on the Baritone uke. We tuned them like the first strings on a guitar D,G.B,E.
Not having a label or serial number would place the instrument as pre-1953. Actual time
span would be between 1946 and 1953 (probably closer to 1953). "53-57 serial number no label. Post '57 label and serial number
Good luck with it.

RickL

Thanks all...looks like a '53 - '57 for the first one; no label; ink stamped SN and I bought another no label, no SN and the dimensions
differ...No SN = wider headstock, less wide bridge, narrower heel...both 19"....I've sent Tom F. a note....the No SN also came with a
handmade case out of cardboard, red plastic handle, wood grain look covering, string and endpin to close the case secure...could be
original I suppose, it's old but in nice shape, like the use. Tx, Rick