Favorite Baritone?

Mine on eBay. Lol. Wait, you're in Japan. Did you move, iDavid? :eek:

The one Coolkayaker is selling is one of the best deals I've seen.

For myself, I own a Favilla Bari I really like for a deeper sound and also am keeping my fingers crossed on a Chennell archtop bari that should be done by late Dec. Jazzboxukes.com

Thanks, Jim. I can't believe no one wanted it at over $600 off new, which they could check on MM website to see their discount. Weird. Again, thanks, Jim.

It was too high brow for us Cretons. Lol. Good luck with the sale. I wanted it. But it was too far out of my league.

Thanks, Jim. I can't believe no one wanted it at over $600 off new, which they could check on MM website to see their discount. Weird. Again, thanks, Jim.

I wanted it! I just couldn't afford it :( so I ended up with a Pono Mango Baritone. If you're looking for something lower in budget I can recommend the Pono MGB, David.

I picked up a LoPrinzi Model 2 solid mahogany in the Marketplace and it is an outstanding instrument.

I wanted it! I just couldn't afford it :( so I ended up with a Pono Mango Baritone. If you're looking for something lower in budget I can recommend the Pono MGB, David.

Did you try the other Pono Baritones? I wonder how it would compare to a cedar-top?

Did you try the other Pono Baritones? I wonder how it would compare to a cedar-top?

I was able to compare it with a Pono Mahogany Baritone (that had more boom and bark & I preferred the smooth sound of the Mango) but not a cedar top, I'm afraid - though I would think that the tone is similar. I was drawn to this ukulele because of the sound sample on the HMS site and I found it to be a faithful representation of the tone when I played it, so listening to that should give you some idea: http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mgb-mango-baritone-1445.html IMO it's a fab rhythm/jazz uke (which is what I wanted it for), and plays superbly right up the neck with great sustain - but I wouldn't choose it for lead playing (when I'd generally want more clarity and brightness)... though it may be suited to that with different strings on it (I have mahanas on it). I love it because some baritones sound like guitars with 2 strings missing to me, but this one is definitely a ukulele, & has a sound all of its own. Good luck with your search!

but this one still has my attention....

http://vimeo.com/81702431

Those Pono tenor guitars are really nice! But I didn't know if they were in stock.

I do have a Favilla baritone that I like very much. The neck is a little thick but the scale is my preferred 19 inch vs. 20 inch. I preferred it to a Kamaka HF-4. It has a very warm rich tone.

Last edited:
but this one still has my attention....

http://vimeo.com/81702431

Go with what has your attention, David. There was a thread on that jumbo Bari, I'm sure you saw.

One factor to keep in mind for resale is that uke players generally shy away from bigger sizes and longer fretboards. There was a gorgeous baritone on UU three months ago that languished, a Pono, bc the fretboard was 21,5 inches. I agree with Hodge re fretboard. Traditional is always better for resale. I get a distinct "flavor of the month" vibe from the uke-guitars.

Of course, if you never sell it, moot point.

For me, if I was going that big, I'd get a guitar. Bigger ukes just sound "flabby" to me (where guitars do not, perhaps due to steel strings).

PS I use all nylon string SC reentrant on my Bari, and they sound great. That said, steel D sounds better on my other Bari. Hmm.

Last edited:
Cool Mele tenor guitar (listed as a bari) on Ebay.

Go with what has your attention, David. There was a thread on that jumbo Bari, I'm sure you saw.

One factor to keep in mind for resale is that uke players generally shy away from bigger sizes and longer fretboards. There was a gorgeous baritone on UU three months ago that languished, a Pono, bc the fretboard was 21,5 inches. I agree with Hodge re fretboard. Traditional is always better for resale. I get a distinct "flavor of the month" vibe from the uke-guitars.

Of course, if you never sell it, moot point.

For me, if I was going that big, I'd get a guitar. Bigger ukes just sound "flabby" to me (where guitars do not, perhaps due to steel strings).

PS I use all nylon string SC reentrant on my Bari, and they sound great. That said, steel D sounds better on my other Bari. Hmm.

I have the same strings on my older Pono and dig them. One thing making me hesitate with the Pono TG is the scale length, not the overall size. It specs close in size to a Taylor mini which I like. However, not sure how it would sound with a reentrant tuning. I had more than a few ukes and never keep any of them linear for long.... perhaps should see if I like that first.

Those newer Ponos sound great.

Guess it come down to the old cash. Would love to get Kinnard Bari...

I have the same strings on my older Pono and dig them. One thing making me hesitate with the Pono TG is the scale length, not the overall size. It specs close in size to a Taylor mini which I like. However, not sure how it would sound with a reentrant tuning. I had more than a few ukes and never keep any of them linear for long.... perhaps should see if I like that first.

Agree with everything you wrote. I, too, am re-entrant biased. The DGBE baritone, and I just bought one, still sounds foreign to my ear. I like it for aping the baritone videos that I enjoy (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67pbCPi8a8 ) And my experience, like DATS video, is that baritone is best for slower paced songs. I have never seen anyone "tear it up" on a baritone. Maybe I don;t get out enough. lol Sometimes I like to wail out, and tenor uke/shorter fretboard/scale allows for that.

I guess listening to too much re-entrant Jake can give a guy a re-entrant ear. lol. I completely agree with you--and as Hodge mentioned for him--I would not want a longer fretboard/scale length. Especially if dGBE re-entrant baritone will use non-wound strings (at least the sets I have seen). So, yeah, like your way of thinking, I would not opt for a longer scale (and again, that seems to be the bias based on past sales of used instruments that I have seen).

Agreeing also with you about the quality of Ponos, what about just buying one of those new Pono baritones from HMS? Give us your feedback.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-rbsh-pc-cedar-rose-baritone.html

Best of luck, iDavid. It sure is fun spending your money. LOL

Last edited:
I currently have 4 baritones that are excellent. 1960'ish Martin, Leonard Young (maple b/s, spruce top and pick-up), custom 5 string D body style Boat Paddle (Nara b/s, cedar top, MISI pick-up), and a Favilla. They are are great! The one I seem to gravitate to the most is the Favilla.

Top Bottom