FedEx - Total Incompetence!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I ordered a Uke from Cool Hand Ukes on Thursday, Oct. 28. It was shipped the next day, and I got a notice from FedEx to expect delivery on Monday, Nov. 1.

Over the weekend I got a notice from FedEx changing the expected delivery date to Tuesday, Nov. 2. It informed me that the shipment required "Direct Signature" for delivery. I got a second notice saying the same thing. I stayed home all day on Tuesday, but FedEx never showed up.

Sometime overnight FedEx sent another notice saying to expect delivery on Wed. Nov. 3. I stayed home all day waiting. Another no show for FedEx.

Again, overnight, I got another notice from FedEx saying to expect delivery on Thursday, Nov. 4. I stayed home again all day. Another no show. During the day I called Peter at Cool Hand Ukes. He promptly followed up, and told me that FedEx had told him that they had attempted delivery, but no one was home to receive it. I confirmed the delivery address with Peter. It was OK. I then ran FedEx tracking, and found that same information myself. I saw an option to instruct FedEx to deliver to their partner, Walgreens Pharmacy. It's only a block away from me, so I selected that option.

On Friday I went to Walgreens and finally got my package.

The incompetence here is breathtaking. I believe that a bicycle courier could have gotten my package to me sooner. FedEx kept sending me notices saying they were going to deliver, and warning me that I had to be home to sign for it. They never once sent me a notice of delayed delivery in time to prevent me from wasting a day waiting around for them to show up. They only care about avoiding the possibility that they might have to make a second delivery attempt. That would inconvenience them. They don't care about me. And then, finally, the coup de grâce. They failed to deliver, and lied about me not being home to sign for it. Frankly, I'm surprised they could even find Walgreens!

I will never, use FedEx for anything, and I warn y'all about it too. :mad:

I feel for you. This happens to me every time with UPS. Entire days wasted waiting for them because otherwise they'll dump the instrument in full view and just leave it there in the sun or cold - even though the sender paid for signature to be required. I don't like feeling angry and I wouldn't say that I let myself hate many things. But I hate UPS with absolute fury.

But at least now you have your ukulele - how is it? Not shredded I hope?

In my case, FedEx Tracking recently kept telling me my package would be delivered on Thursday. Wednesday night the notification changed to Monday. With the notation it was "On Time". Friday night at Midnight, the tracking changed to it will be delivered Saturday morning before 9:55am.

It arrived at 3:20pm Saturday. Good thing I was home to sign for it. The tracking indicated: Ahead of Date.

A few months ago, I knew I wasn't going to be home for a FedEx delivery and I changed the delivery location to the local Walgreens. It was delivered to my home instead. Even though the delivery slip clearly said to deliver it to Walgreens. Oh, and it was left at the door of the house, no knock or doorbell, even though they were supposed to get a Signature.

But, I will say this, I've had better luck with FedEx than I've had with USPS or UPS.

Maybe FedEx knew you were not going to open it until Christmas.

I think all of delivery is luck of the draw. I have had good service from FedEx, both sending and receiving. And nightmares with USPS. It should all get worse over the holidays for the next couple of months.

Today fedex dropped off a package at my house and left it out in the middle of the driveway!

Yeah, that's another thing. I didn't request "Direct Signature," and Peter at Cool Hand Ukes said he didn't request it either. So, I guess FedEx just took it open themselves to impose that restriction on my delivery. And, I immediately searched their software for a way to cancel that signature requirement. There was no way. No option to sign in advance or to cancel the requirement. A real bummer!

FedEx and UPS have merged and are now called "FedUP"!

Yeah, that's another thing. I didn't request "Direct Signature," and Peter at Cool Hand Ukes said he didn't request it either. So, I guess FedEx just took it open themselves to impose that restriction on my delivery. And, I immediately searched their software for a way to cancel that signature requirement. There was no way. No option to sign in advance or to cancel the requirement. A real bummer!
You need to sign up for the website Delivery Manager separately and/or download the app .
I don't know if the DM allows control over Direct Signature .
It also has a Premium section for a fee .

I haven't gotten a single delivery on time with FedEx this entire year. Every single package, no matter the contents, has given me a delivery date, and then a few days later will change, saying "delivery delayed" to a later date. For a while, it wouldn't even do that; the delivery date would come and go and it would change to "delivery pending" and never update. The package would be randomly delivered anywhere from 2-5 days later.

Last December there was a package that took me weeks to get. It was continually delayed

It could be a holiday season thing ; Porch Pirates !

I recently bought an ukulele. The dealer said they prefer to ship to the local FedEx store because that solves several different problems with FedEx home delivery, including the mystery delivery dates that FedEx sends you as well as thefts, etc. When FedEx notifies you that the package is available for pickup, that is usually accurate information. Picking it up at the FedEx store was quick and easy and maybe faster than home delivery since FedEx prioritizes delivering to their stores.

Yes, I have resolved to direct all future FedEx deliveries to the nearest FedEx, or FedEx Partnered store. Of course, I will never use FedEx to send ship anything myself. I wish to add that, unlike some others who have commented here, I have never experienced such rudely incompetent service from UPS. In the areas where I've lived, I get to know the UPS driver, and he or she recognizes me and we waive to each other, etc. Much different from what FedEx has always been.

George glad you finally got your uke .

I feel your frustration. It seems that the effects of pandemic are being felt on most services like FedEx, UPS, for the Postal Service. Each has managed to disappoint me in the past few months.

Had an Apple product to be delivered by UPS with signature required. Thank goodness I got an email stating my package had just been delivered. The driver didn’t collect a signature nor even get to my house. He threw it on a neighbors doorstep a few houses down the street. I had to hunt it down.

These days I don’t expect much in the way of speed or accuracy from delivery services, any of them with the possible exception of Amazon.

Same here. Fed Ex delivery date for package kept changing. I checked the Fed ex tracking frequently and was home all day on the date is was supposed to arrive. Then I see the notice that it was delivered at my front door. Went out and no package. Neighbor said they saw the Fed Ex truck stop in front of my house, but they never saw the delivery person get out of the truck or go to my door. I checked all the surrounding houses, but no package. Two days later my package was delivered by my regular USPS person, along with my daily mail. Strangely, all the shipping labels on the package were USPS labels, not Fed Ex. I called the company that I purchased from and they said they only use Fed Ex, not USPS.

Luckily, my package wasn't a ukulele. Glad your ukulele arrived George!

None of the package delivery services are what they once were. As far as service--you are at their mercy and we pay for it. Had a similar experience with the last ukulele I had delivered. Eventually I had it dropped off at the local FedEx/Printing center and once there everything went smoothly.

I always change the delivery option to deliver to Walgreens, or CVS for UPS. It's worked out well so far.

Same here. Fed Ex delivery date for package kept changing. I checked the Fed ex tracking frequently and was home all day on the date is was supposed to arrive. Then I see the notice that it was delivered at my front door. Went out and no package. Neighbor said they saw the Fed Ex truck stop in front of my house, but they never saw the delivery person get out of the truck or go to my door. I checked all the surrounding houses, but no package. Two days later my package was delivered by my regular USPS person, along with my daily mail. Strangely, all the shipping labels on the package were USPS labels, not Fed Ex. I called the company that I purchased from and they said they only use Fed Ex, not USPS.

Luckily, my package wasn't a ukulele. Glad your ukulele arrived George!
They do that once in a while, hand it off to USPS for delivery. They must have some deal with USPS. I really dislike that practice. It always adds a couple days and tracking ends with the hand off. When I lived in Puerto Rico FedEx did it more often than not. But I still get it once in a while up here in the Midwest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom