Fender Avalon Tenor - REVIEW

badhabits

Can you imagine Kamaka putting their name on a cheap(er) Chinese made guitar and selling it as a Kamaka? Why, Fender??

bazmaz

Can you imagine Kamaka putting their name on a cheap(er) Chinese made guitar and selling it as a Kamaka? Why, Fender??
I'll never understand it - like I don't understand why Fender don't make a killer solid steel string electric - they could easily do it and would wipe the floor with RISA

badhabits

I'll never understand it - like I don't understand why Fender don't make a killer solid steel string electric - they could easily do it and would wipe the floor with RISA
They would! as long as they don't name them the stratolele or ukecaster.

Arcy

The alternate reality tenor tele is a great example. They sold out instantly and now go for twice the initial cost on the used market. Make more and get a piece of that, Fender!

bazmaz

The alternate reality tenor tele is a great example. They sold out instantly and now go for twice the initial cost on the used market. Make more and get a piece of that, Fender!
Agreed - they were superb - made in their Mexican plant - which these days are easily as good as the USA (I own a Vintera Mexican Tele Deluxe and a USA Tele - the quality control between them is identical).. If they applied that to make a tenor or baritone ukulele it would be KILLER!

I don't think Fender even make these acoustics - they are just factory line stuff with their headstocks and logos.

Renaissance-Man

Fender has always been this way. Leo Fender built a cheap bolt-on-neck guitar for the masses. Then CBS took over and began cost cutting, going so far as removing one of the four screws holding the neck to the body. It goes on and on...

bazmaz

Fender has always been this way. Leo Fender built a cheap bolt-on-neck guitar for the masses. Then CBS took over and began cost cutting, going so far as removing one of the four screws holding the neck to the body. It goes on and on...
They've clawed right back since those dark CBS days - their current electrics are considered to be up there with the best they have ever made - my issue with them is the prices!

Eggs_n_Ham

So, more of a grimace than a smile Baz? You gave it a 7.4 score- not too bad!

bazmaz

So, more of a grimace than a smile Baz? You gave it a 7.4 score- not too bad!
On my scoring nothing below 8 gets a recommendation - 7's are 'be careful' territory, 6's are 'honestly, REALLY be careful' and below that - forget it!

7.4 is not a great score for me!

mjh42

UU VIP
UU VIP
I'm not sure Fender could make a better uke than the Risa's at the price point. Sure Fender should have the know how. Sure Fender should be able to make and install better pickups and electronics but would they? What would the cost be? Or would they off shore to China and you get what you pay for? I've seen the Tenor Tele's guitars but that's about as far out as I see Fender going with that idea. The Risa offerings have their issues but one seems to have to go more semi to full custom to up the ante/quality on such instruments. Again at what cost?
Risa, Flight, Fanner, a few others seem to be doing just fine with electric magnetic pick up offerings.
I see Kala has entered the solid body electric market with a new offering, nylon string-some kind of piezo pick up.

Ukecaster

Yeah, and those Alvarez ukes with the Grateful Dead art on the top a few years ago? Cheap trash that folks are now selling (or at least trying to) for hundreds of dollars. :rolleyes:

bazmaz

I'm not sure Fender could make a better uke than the Risa's at the price point. Sure Fender should have the know how. Sure Fender should be able to make and install better pickups and electronics but would they? What would the cost be? Or would they off shore to China and you get what you pay for? I've seen the Tenor Tele's guitars but that's about as far out as I see Fender going with that idea. The Risa offerings have their issues but one seems to have to go more semi to full custom to up the ante/quality on such instruments. Again at what cost?
Risa, Flight, Fanner, a few others seem to be doing just fine with electric magnetic pick up offerings.
I see Kala has entered the solid body electric market with a new offering, nylon string-some kind of piezo pick up.
I completely disagree - the Risa in the UK comes in at about £550. Fender made the Tenor Tele (essentially a large scale baritone) made in their Mex factory - UK price was just over £400 and the QC as good as if not better than the RISA - why? Because Fender are tooled up for making things quickly on large scale.

If they shifted to China i'd agree with you - but the tenor tele was Mexican and it showed