Filling The Gap

Explorer77

There is a slight gap at the front of my rosette that I'm not sure how to fill before finishing. Using the same redwood is too dark. I was able to come up with a very close match using a lighter wood mixed with shellac and dye, however, I'm afraid that the dye will spill over onto the rosette or into the rosewood top. There is a layer of shellac on the top and in the 'gap groove' but I'm still not sure about it. Any advice?Gap.JPG

Kelali Kev

You can use medium super glue, but since you have shellac on it now don't use an accelerator which may affect the shellac. It may take several coats to bring the groove up to flush to where you can sand it flat.

mikeyb2

Or try wet sanding with shellac, so that the "dust" from the top wood mixes with the shellac to make a slurry that may fill the gaps. You may have to repeat, until you reach the desired effect.

Explorer77

You can use medium super glue, but since you have shellac on it now don't use an accelerator which may affect the shellac. It may take several coats to bring the groove up to flush to where you can sand it flat.
That will still leave a DARK visible line.

Explorer77

Or try wet sanding with shellac, so that the "dust" from the top wood mixes with the shellac to make a slurry that may fill the gaps. You may have to repeat, until you reach the desired effect.
Thanks, but the same Redwood dust will appear darker than the top. I've been experimenting using lighter wood samples.

sequoia

Probably the best thing to do in this situation is to not let this happen in the first place because, sorry, you are never going to make that gap disappear. The two biggest things to prevent this sort of thing from happening is to:
1) Always put a couple of coats or three of dilute shellac (~ 1/2 lb cut) on the top before cutting the rosette. Let dry overnight for best results but you can cut in an hour or two if you are in a hurry.
2) Use a fresh, sharp down cut router bit.

There are other tricks to help, but those two are biggies.

mikeyb2

Thanks, but the same Redwood dust will appear darker than the top. I've been experimenting using lighter wood samples.
It will definitely be darker if you use CA, but less so with shellac and probably even less with Titebond.
Take note of what Sequoia, says above. Prevention is much better than cure.