Finger board thickness

AstroEd42

Hello
I’m a new builder, and I’m doing a Tenor ukulele. Can anyone tell me what the fingerboard thickness should be?
Thank you
Ed

Last edited:

BuzzBD

Mine are usually between 5/32” and 3/16”, but keep in mind this needs to be coordinated with the neck thickness.
Brad

merlin666

It will also depend on the wood. Ebony is quite dense so an ebony fingerboard will be heavier at same thickness than those before made of most other materials. I found this very noticeable when I visited the KoAloha factory and they had piles of koa and ebony fingerboards side by side.

sequoia

Hello
I’m a new builder, and I’m doing a Tenor ukulele. Can anyone tell me what the fingerboard thickness should be?
Thank you
Ed

I never thought the thickness of the fretboard was particularly important. Now the thickness of the neck + the fretboard - that is important. Keep in mind that the thickness of the fretboard has nothing to do with the height of the action. That is set by nut/saddle height. My fretboards are about a 1/4 thick or 6+ mm. After a little sanding a bit less than that.

AstroEd42

Thank you all for your responses. Now I can go forward. One of the ones I purchased is 6.4 mm, I’ll go with that.
Thanks again
Ed

Timbuck

I would not use one that thick if I wanted to maintain a 15mm thick neck at the first fret it would make the neck very weak at the nut at 8.6mm. I took these dimensions from a genuine 30s Martin Concert showing the fretbord at .115 inch thick = 2.9mm for a tenor I would go for 3.25mm at the very most
61090962-0989-48BA-BAA2-C56F36D15D09 by Ken Timms,

Last edited:

AstroEd42

A very good point Timbuck. On the 2 plans I have, which seem to scale accurately, it measures about 4 mm, so 3.25 would be close. I was afraid that too thin, but I guess not. Thanks loads for the info.����
Stay safe
Ed

Timbuck

I looked at another site and discovered that Gibson guitar fretboards with a radius are approximately 6mm at the centre.

Allen

I only build with a compound radius on all fret boards. They are 5mm thick at their hights point in the centre of the board.

AstroEd42

Thank you all very much for your responses. I will be working on the neck and fret board later next week. My ticker is giving me a hard time. Only running on 3 cylinders. Just have to take it easy for awhile.
Regards
Ed