First attempt at playing

Mr. Mojo

Hey everyone,

So after receiving my first Uke yesterday I somehow found a few minutes to finally try strumming it. My wife is working and I'm alone watching my grand kids all weekend. I thought I wouldn't have a chance at this until Monday but was able to squeeze a few minutes in after I took one grand daughter to dance.

I was only able to get about 20 or 30 minutes though cause I had to leave again. I went online to a quick lesson link and found a few common chords and gave it a whirl. I've never played before so bare with me. I had been looking at some lesson info online all week as far as how to strum etc. in anticipation of getting the Ukulele.

That G chord was the tough one. Well, not so tough but tough to Switch to from another chord. Small frets. Anyway here is a few seconds of my first try. I guess I may do this another 10,000 times and then move on and then repeat:

Last edited:

player

uke forever
UU VIP
Wow, first attempt and strumming like a pro!

mikelz777

Did that come from zero experience with a stringed instrument?

Mr. Mojo

Did that come from zero experience with a stringed instrument?

No :) Around 15 years ago I messed around with guitar for a short time. Maybe a year or two? I learned a few chords, nothing too intricate, and then began starting to workout scales and single note playing wanting to play more of a lead guitar than rhythm. I was a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan. That got too complicated and I stopped and went back to playing blues harmonica and singing and then eventually focusing only on vocals. But I haven't touched a guitar in about 13 or 14 years and now realize I forgot any of the few chords I knew.

mikelz777

I suspected there was some kind of experience in the past! :) Your strumming didn't sound like someone who was totally new to stringed instruments. You're already well on your way! I too was a guitar player in the past and eventually abandoned it. I'm having so much more fun on the ukulele and I'm sticking with it!

Mr. Mojo

I'm on my way! Where to, I have no idea yet :D But your right, it is fun....I enjoyed my little test run. Unfortunately it's a bad timing thing as far as it being the weekend and me being busy. And it's a holiday besides, so Tomorrow on Memorial Day I won't be home either. Looks like Tuesday's my day! Thanks for taking a peek. I can't figure out how to embed the video though.