First Uke Hunting

dkzee

Reaction score
Hello UU! :eek:

I've been going on my first ukulele hunting at the local stores in Brunei, and I've come across these brands that look and sound promising: Ibanez Soprano, Epiphone Les Paul, and TGM Concert. They each come with the gig bag. I've actually found someone locally that are selling Makala Soprano and Pineapple as well.

These are how much they cost (I'm converting the prices to USD so you guys can roughly know how much they cost here):

Ibanez Soprano: $79
Makala Soprano/Pineapple: $95
TGM Concert: $115
Epiphone Les Paul: $179

I do plan to go to Miri, Malaysia to see what ukulele they hold there next Monday, (Aaaah, it's too longgg!) so I'll keep you guys updated.

I want to know if anyone has any experience with any of these brands and what are your recommendation(s)? I haven't heard of any TGM reviews. My budget is $200 and below.

If you guys suggest buying the ones online, I might for it. The ones I'm targetting online are the Lanikai LU-21C, Kala Watermelon, Anuenue U900, and Anuenue World Series (Italy Cat). Any reviews on any of them personally?

As you can see, I'm all over the place and thinking too much about it. So kindly help a fellow beginner make a choice? Thank you!

Last edited:
Get a uke from the Islander series online, well above $200, I just got a tenor, and it sounds sooo much better thatn the brands you just listed, they're a forum favourite!

Really? My first time hearing about the Islander! Are their concert uke as good as their tenor?

The brands mentioned above are the only brands I actually came across in the local music stores, sadly. The only brand I didn't mention was the Congress which I didn't like.

Last edited:
If $200 is your budget, I would certainly look at an Islander, or perhaps a Mainland -http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc;jsessionid=87AFA33DFBF140D6114668CE7E2ADBE0.qscstrfrnt01?productId=8&categoryId=3

They are both miles better than the four you mentioned in my opinion

Here's my two cents as a total beginner.......it doesn't completely matter because it will not be the last Uke you buy. I mean you could get all stressed about whether you're getting the "best" uke for your money, and I'm not saying you shouldn't get something nice......but only you decide what is the "best" for you. Seems like any ukulele you spend less than $500 is still considered an entry level uke, and I'm sure far more experienced folks can tell you what makes a quality one. I think liking the aesthetic of the instrument is important too......it should fit your style.

Strictly speaking as a non musician type, if you're learning you will eventually upgrade and whatever you buy will be the "cherished first uke" or "the loaner uke". You may even wonder how you even made music on the thing, but that will be because your ear has gotten better with practice. After much agonizing I bought a Kamoa E3 Tenor mainly because it is a solid wood instrument and I liked the look. Did some research, figured it was a great intermediate uke to go from experienced beginner to burgeoning musician on......and I spent $210 for it.

.......and on to my ninth point.......(sorry, I am wordy)

Thanks Jim! Oh, I see. The price is not bad as well. Why are the two brands favourites here anyways? Curious.

Thanks for the two cents, Igraine! No need to apologize, I found it informative! I was wondering if those brands were okay. I don't want to regret buying any of my ukes, hehe.

That's pretty cool! So how is your uke treating you?

Do any of your book stores have a copy of Ukulele for Dummies? It's new, and I think it will become the "standard" uke book for beginners. Comes with a CD.

Lots of good advice above. You will love any of the Mainlands. Lots of laminated ukes from Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, and more....with solid tops sound pretty decent for beginner. Islanders are made by Kanilea. Kamoa's are relatively new. Koa Pili Koko's on ebay great deal.
Read the posts. Find a few good recommendations and research the ukes. Many have sound clips on YouTube, or have been reviewed here. Use the search box to see if your choice has been reviewed. One thing you can be sure of, you'll get more advice here than you will know what to do with, LOL! Good luck...we are always here to help you.

+1 for the Islander MC-4. The Islander brand is the laminate (3-ply wood instead of solid wood) version of the Kanile'a (a premium brand) uke design. It is not glossy with fancy inlay or binding like similarly priced Kala/Lanikai/Coroba/etc., but I think they sound significantly better.

They do cost a bit more, especially if you have to pay international shipping from Hawaii. I think Hawaii Music Supply, an oft-recommended uke retailer, charges ~$60 USD shipping, but I would email or call them to get a firm quote. You should also ask if they have any of the 2012 models available yet. The logo on the headstock would be gold instead of white.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-concert-mahogany-mc-4.html

I like the Kala Thinline Travel uke as a good "first uke". They come with a gigbag. Solid top, arched back, Aquila strings. They sound good too. And under $200.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone! I'm still waiting 'til next week to check out the music stores in Miri, Malaysia to see what ukuleles they're selling there. If there's nothing there that I like, I'm considering getting an Islander MC-4 at Hawaii Music Supply. Looks like a lot of thumbs up for the fella!

@PhilUSAFRet; I'm not particularly sure if they have a copy of that book here. I'll try check out the book stores one of these days.

It must mean I'm on the right track on researching 'cause that's what I've been doing! Though funny thing is that there are these other cutesy ukuleles catching my attention! Must. Resist. For. Now. I'll be checking out the other brands you've mentioned.

Also, I noticed that you own an Epiphone LP. I've read your thread before (If I'm not mistaken), but what's your say about the uke now?

@Drew Bear; I've actually contacted them a few days ago via email. I'm still waiting for a reply. Thanks for the heads up about the 2012 model and the shipping price!

@allanr; I was thinking that ukulele might be more convenient for me since I do travel quite often. I'll be looking into that.

Okay, so I've contacted MGM and tried to estimate how much the Islander MC-4 along with the case including shipping would cost me and that would be $216. I'm kind of cringing since that's slightly over my budget already. If I get it without the case that would cost me $169, but the poor fella would be naked. ):

Still considering, but I'll have a look see for other ukuleles.

Last edited:
HMS packs their ukes very well, so don't worry about them shipping a naked uke. Besides, the shipment is insured, so any shipping damage would be covered. I'm guessing you should be able to find an inexpensive gig bag locally.

Of the 4 ukes you mentioned in the first post, the Makala is probably the best value. TGM is not a common brand, so I don't know if you'll get any feedback on that here. Here's a review of the Les Paul by a UU member:
http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2011/07/is-les-more.html

Unless you were going to play amped, I'd avoid that for the price you mentioned.

Knowing that makes me relief. Well the Islander MC-4 is still in my list. I just hope that if I do decide to get it at HMS, their special promotion is still going on. Aaah, please stay!

Thanks for finding me that review, Drew. After receiving a lot of feedback on this thread, I don't think I'll be buying my ukulele locally. Well, until they at least start stocking up the good ones. I'm giving it one more week before I make my final decision. I wish the days would go faster though!

Oh yeah, anyone who have any experience with a Fender, aNueNue and/or a Luna?

Last edited:
Hi dkzee,

You mentioned the U900 aNueNue. Just a few thoughts about that. If you like it for the looks it is a pretty decent ukulele. I was given one as a gift and I really like it (I got the pineapple with the bear). However, if you want a nice ukulele that is pretty much identical in build and sound, look at the Luna brand Honu and Tattoo. I think they are made at the same factory. The parts are identical except for a few details like headstock shape, bridge shape and of course the decoration. They have an almost identical sound, too. The Lunas are about 1/2 the price though.

Top Bottom