Flamed vs. curly

Lalz

I see these two words used a lot to describe patterns in wood but I'm not sure I get what the difference is between the two. Are there significant differences between a flamed vs. curly wood or are these words interchangeable or is one used for certain woods only (flamed maple?) and the other one for other woods? (curly koa?)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

The first picture is flamed koa.
The second picture is curly koa.
I hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• koa1.jpg
    koa1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 231
  • koa2.jpg
    koa2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 224

Rick Turner

Chuck, you are the man! Hilarious... Thanks for a moment of levity on my coffee break.

But you forgot "fiddle back" and "tiger striped"... Please post new pics demonstrating those wood figure patterns. I know you have such pictures...

Lalz

I see! So curly means that the intricate wood pattern causes a state of hypnosis or sort of optical illusion where everything in the background of the uke is mirrored? Wow, I had no idea! That's AWESOME! :D

BlueLatitude

If you paste both those pics into a photo program and look at them with your eyes relaxed, you can see a 3D effect!! Cool!!! :D

brutaldiver

Ahhh... I see.... But which is has more chatoyance?!?

Lol just kidding of course.
If you all like that effect on your ukes, you should see it on the 1911 pistol grip sets I've made... looks absolutely beautiful against a nice dark slide and frame! Of course it looks great on the cooking spoons I've made too. Dang, i do believe Koa can be all around 'good stuff' ! Hah

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

How come the two images have different sizes?...I mean they're the same picture except the titles are different lol

Well, that's because they aren't the same picture. One is flamed, the other is curly. Look at them side by side and you'll notice a difference. :)

Koa Soprano

All joking aside I was taught there is a difference. Curls are the when the figuring cuts completely across the piece without breaking, flames are when the figuring breaks up across the piece, like the way flames painted on a hot rod taper off.

Curly Koa:

ogxu7p.jpg

Flamed Koa:

wc0bw3.jpg

dkwan9

Don't forget "Quilted"..

I've heard that there is a sound difference between flamed and quilted woods because of the cutting techniques required to produce the flamed or quilted look (ie, flatsawn vs quartersawn). If I remember correctly, quilted tends to produce a more mellow sound.

Anyone else heard of this before?