Flat wound Baritone Strings?

Quietdaddy

UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am primarily a baritone ukulele player. I have tenors as well, but the baritone voicing has me captivated. The only thing that annoys me somewhat is the squeak of the D and G strings. As my technique gets better and better, it seems that the squeak is a less prevalent problem, but it is still occasionally there. Does anyone out there make flat wound strings to help minimize this problem? I know that Fremont makes a flat wound string for low G on a GCEA tuning, but I have not seen anything on flat wound strings for Baritone.

sure. Thomastik Infeld CF35 and C30 will give you D and G on baritone scale

This above from Jim is the solution. I have used them on baritones and smaller gauges on tenors, great string. Expensive BUT last a long time and do exactly what you want, no squeak.

This above from Jim is the solution. I have used them on baritones and smaller gauges on tenors, great string. Expensive BUT last a long time and do exactly what you want, no squeak.
I second this. Definitely the best choice for flat wound baritone strings. The only issue is that you have to get the treble strings separately as well unless you want to pay for a whole set even if you don't use the wound strings in the set.

I have just acquired a baritone at the great Pono sale on Reverb. The first thing I did was order as set of Worth Browns - they have now settled in and I love them. I like the unwound strings and like all being fluorocarbon. There is NO SQUEAK.

And now for a variation!
I have now ordered a high D to replace the low D in order to hear what it sounds like as a re-entrant tuning. I called Strings by mail and they suggested a Savarez carbon - in fact I ordered a whole set as well because I like having strings in reserve. I am keeping to unwound strings.

Congratulations ! Ive had good experiences with savarez strings on baritones. Enjoy. :

Congratulations ! Ive had good experiences with savarez strings on baritones. Enjoy. :
I appreciate the encouragement. This is my first foray into a baritone and as I began with guitar in the 1950s this is like coming home. Back then I would experiment with flat wound strings and hated their "tubbiness." String technology has come a long way since then. I love the depth of the baritone. When I first played it with out group last Monday they shared how much they liked its depth. My hope is that the re-entrant tuning will make it have the traditional sound that I love, but combined with that same depth.

I appreciate the encouragement. This is my first foray into a baritone and as I began with guitar in the 1950s this is like coming home. Back then I would experiment with flat wound strings and hated their "tubbiness." String technology has come a long way since then. I love the depth of the baritone. When I first played it with out group last Monday they shared how much they liked its depth. My hope is that the re-entrant tuning will make it have the traditional sound that I love, but combined with that same depth.
Let us know how the reentrant tuning works for you. I’d be interested in hearing your take. i really do like the way the savarez strings sound on a bari. I have them on an old Harmony bari thats been modified into an 6 string. It doubles the d and g strings - and savarez strings being the High d and g. They hold their own and blend well.

Let us know how the reentrant tuning works for you. I’d be interested in hearing your take. i really do like the way the savarez strings sound on a bari. I have them on an old Harmony bari thats been modified into an 6 string. It doubles the d and g strings - and savarez strings being the High d and g. They hold their own and blend well.
Will do when I return from the beach in the middle of the month.

I have just acquired a baritone at the great Pono sale on Reverb. The first thing I did was order as set of Worth Browns - they have now settled in and I love them. I like the unwound strings and like all being fluorocarbon. There is NO SQUEAK.

And now for a variation!
I have now ordered a high D to replace the low D in order to hear what it sounds like as a re-entrant tuning. I called Strings by mail and they suggested a Savarez carbon - in fact I ordered a whole set as well because I like having strings in reserve. I am keeping to unwound strings.
It is now 20 months since I started playing my baritone with this string setup. I have been a long time member of a ukulele group that plays weekly. I have only played the Pono since setting up with the Savarez strings. The instrument, with its Savarez strings continues to be an absolute joy. During that time I have changed the tuning machines twice. First I went to the tune-a-lele tuners and one of them died and now the tuners are Gotoh gptl. The latter tuners are amazing. Meanwhile the strings took the changes in their stride. I am now considering selling the rest of my ukuleles. I love the Pono baritone and its re entrant stringing with the Savarez

I play tenor tuned baby Baritone and use CF35 (4th), CF30 (3rd), CF27 (2nd) and love the tone/balance in tension I get with this setup (1st string is Aquila Red .31)

And now for a variation!
Try Magma UK130FW Flatwound Bari-Strings. They're in Low D Tuning but they have a Jazz-Tone

flatwound uke strings.jpg
Ta-da, here they are. These are Magma UK130FW Flat Microwound Baritone Ukulele strings. They have a nice Jazz tone to them which is quite mellow sounding.

Did I read somewhere to apply beeswax? Anyway, I found after some break in time on new Flight bari, the squeak lessened considerably .

Did I read somewhere to apply beeswax? Anyway, I found after some break in time on new Flight bari, the squeak lessened considerably .
But the UK130FW Strings would work too

Top Bottom