Flea or Fluke?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I don't live anywhere where I can go try one out. The Fluke I think looks cooler, but the Flea looks like it might be more comfortable to hold. Thoughts from those of you who have tried both?

My very first ukulele was a concert Fluke. I originally bought it mostly for the cool look, and loved being able to stand it up on it’s own anywhere. In time, I came to really appreciate how great a ukulele it really was. I had an opportunity to play a friend’s soprano Flea several years ago. It had a very similar type of sound as the Fluke. Both models are easy to play. But, personally, I prefer the look, size, and sound of the Fluke. The string tension on my Fluke was slightly higher (which worked better for me), likely due to different strings and the two different scales. I found the Fluke a bit easier to hold, partly because of it’s shape, and partly because it was a bit bigger in overall size, so there’s just more of it to hang onto. Both models have slippery backs, so you will benefit greatly if you attach a strap. If straps are not your thing, a large piece of grippy shelf liner between you and the back of the ukulele will help stabilize it somewhat.

My very first ukulele was a concert Fluke. I originally bought it mostly for the cool look, and loved being able to stand it up on it’s own anywhere. In time, I came to really appreciate how great a ukulele it really was. I had an opportunity to play a friend’s soprano Flea several years ago. It had a very similar type of sound as the Fluke. Both models are easy to play. But, personally, I prefer the look, size, and sound of the Fluke. The string tension on my Fluke was slightly higher (which worked better for me), likely due to different strings and the two different scales. I found the Fluke a bit easier to hold, partly because of it’s shape, and partly because it was a bit bigger in overall size, so there’s just more of it to hang onto. Both models have slippery backs, so you will benefit greatly if you attach a strap. If straps are not your thing, a large piece of grippy shelf liner between you and the back of the ukulele will help stabilize it somewhat.
I found star-shaped, black, non slip bathtub stickers for about $2 and slapped them all over my Fluke. It made a huge difference.

I tired a friends Flea. Just seemed a little small to me with the soprano scale. The Fluke in concert scale seemed more approachable as a first instrument. I went with the Fluke. I had the slip strips applied but still had issues with stability. Round belly and round back instrument rolled around a bit. I put on a MF strap and all has been well. Not a fan of velcro but once I put the strap on I have never taken it off so no problem.

The Flea just on looks alone, totally subjective though. To me the Fluke looks like a confused balalaika or a cheap bottle of perfume 😂. Regardless both sound amazing and are a blast. You can’t go wrong with either.

I own a soprano Flea, concert Fluke, and concert Firefly. I love them all for different reasons and play them more than any of my other ukes, including the really pricey ones. Still, I found playing the plastic backed instruments difficult while I’m standing unless they have some support.

I bought the MF strap for the Firefly, but any setup with ties on both ends would work. I put a strap button near the base of the Flea before MFC offered the Velcro straps, so any strap works. The Fluke has the Velcro strap.

If I were recommending one, it would depend on which scale you prefer playing. Soprano Flea, of course. Fluke if you’re a concert or tenor player.

I’ve never played a Fluke, but I want one when I get the chance/money. I have a concert Flea. Has a lovely sound, is easy to play and those weird headstocks, I Heart them 👍

I’ve never played a Fluke, but I want one when I get the chance/money. I have a concert Flea. Has a lovely sound, is easy to play and those weird headstocks, I Heart them 👍
Here's another vote for the concert-scale Flea! Although I've since made disposition of mine, I always loved the combination of the smaller Flea body paired with the concert neck, thus bumping that string tension up to a perfect feel for the gCEA tuning.

I own a soprano Flea, concert Fluke, and concert Firefly. I love them all for different reasons and play them more than any of my other ukes, including the really pricey ones. Still, I found playing the plastic backed instruments difficult while I’m standing unless they have some support.

I bought the MF strap for the Firefly, but any setup with ties on both ends would work. I put a strap button near the base of the Flea before MFC offered the Velcro straps, so any strap works. The Fluke has the Velcro strap.

If I were recommending one, it would depend on which scale you prefer playing. Soprano Flea, of course. Fluke if you’re a concert or tenor player.
Does the soprano Flea have more room than usual sopranos as for instance the Firefly has? My Firefly although soprano, is quite suitable to play almost as a concert. I am hesitating between the Flea and the Fluke, slightly balanced to Flea according to shape but the seller a Europe has a Fluke with wooden fretboard which I very much prefer than the plastic one (here your opinion is also valuable for me).
thanks!

Here is some info

Complete-Ukulele-Specs.png

I've never studied Flukes or Fleas, but I have one recommendation. Get a model with a wood fingerboard and real frets. At the beginning all you could get was a one piece plastic fingerboard with the frets molded in. That didn't prove to be very durable.
The optional geared Peghed tuners might be a good thing too. Depends on your preference.

I've never studied Flukes or Fleas, but I have one recommendation. Get a model with a wood fingerboard and real frets. At the beginning all you could get was a one piece plastic fingerboard with the frets molded in. That didn't prove to be very durable.
The optional geared Peghed tuners might be a good thing too. Depends on your preference.
thanks!!

I've played a plastic fretboard Flea soprano consistently for the past 11 years, with no visible sign of fret wear.

Last edited:
I play a soprano Flea and the fellow beside me played a concert fluke at our local jam two weeks ago, and they sounded more similar than different. I think if a person recorded themself on one then the other, with the same strings, it would be difficult to tell them apart. Personally I agree with the idea of just using scale to decide, and some of the decorative patterns look cooler with one body shape or the other.

My Flea is a bit slippery, but actually less slippery than either my old Flight TUS, or the Kala that I am helping to break in before taking it to the library. That thing feels like it is finished with Teflon.

The wooden fretboards are highly prized, the main reasons to stick with plastic are $ and water resistance if you plan to use it outdoors.

I do prefer the feel of the wooden fretboard, but I have known people who had the standard fretboard for ages and it has held up with no problems. You do need to be careful to not use wound strings and perhaps some others that may have something in the compound that could be abrasive.

The wooden fretboards are highly prized, the main reasons to stick with plastic are $ and water resistance if you plan to use it outdoors.

You also would not have to worry about any fret sprout in dry climates

Regarding plastic fretboard wear, I think That’s likelya wound string thing, or maybe a 5-10 year thing which I haven’t gotten to yet.

Top Bottom