Flight Antonia and DUC-525

Morenatti

Hello!

I'm glad to be part of the forum. After long time reading, I decided to register
to ask about two Flight models which I have found on offer.

They are both solid top concert, but don't have many reviews:

- Flight DUC-525 (spruce top)
- Flight Antonia C (mahogany top)

Any opinions? Thank you!

UkingViking

I never tried either, and never heard reviews, so I cant really say much.

But those are two very different instruments in terms og tone wood and looks, so you must have preferences without hearing them live.

One is spruce, for a brigther tone, one is mahogany for a warmer tone. Mahogany is more traditional for ukulele, spruce is dominating the guitar world for its clarity. You should listen to some tonewood comparisons on YouTube to get an idea of what you like.

Then for the looks, one has a classic look with abalone rosette, one has a laser etched rosette with casual motives. Surely one thing must appeal more to you than the other.

They are from the same manufacturer, and at approximately the same pricepoint, so the build quality i probably about the same. I assume you have looked for reviews at gotaukulele, and found none for these. There is one for Flights Amara model, which is in the same price category. That didnt get too bad a review. There were some comments on price, but if you found a special offer, that wouldnt be your problem.

Last edited:

Dohle

As much as I like Flight I have to say their model names for their less expensive models are awful. It's impossible to discern anything from those codes except maybe the scale length. I much prefer the actual names they give their models like the Victoria or, indeed, Antonia.

In any case, I would definitely pick the Antonia out of those two. A solid spruce top uke with laminate back and sides will sound very bright whereas the Antonia will likely sound more balanced. I also don't really care for the laser etching of the DUC-525 and much prefer the subtle and traditional look of the Antonia. I couldn't find any reviews or videos of either but I did find a video from SUS in which Alex plays the tenor version of the Antonia:
To me, that uke sounds really nice for the money, and I'm sure the concert version will be on the same level.

Morenatti

I never tried either, and never heard reviews, so I cant really say much.

But those are two very different instruments in terms og tone wood and looks, so you must have preferences without hearing them live.

One is spruce, for a brigther tone, one is mahogany for a warmer tone. Mahogany is more traditional for ukulele, spruce is dominating the guitar world for its clarity. You should listen to some tonewood comparisons on YouTube to get an idea of what you like.

Then for the looks, one has a classic look with abalone rosette, one has a laser etched rosette with casual motives. Surely one thing must appeal more to you than the other.

They are from the same manufacturer, and at approximately the same pricepoint, so the build quality i probably about the same. I assume you have looked for reviews at gotaukulele, and found none for these. There is one for Flights Amara model, which is in the same price category. That didnt get too bad a review. There were some comments on price, but if you found a special offer, that wouldnt be your problem.
Actually the DUC-460 Amara is also on offer in that same store, at around 110€. A good price, I think, but it's all laminate, and I was looking for a solid top. I don't know if it will make a difference at these first stages, though.

Also it's a generalist music store, not a specialized one. So no setup would be made, I guess.

I know it's recommended to buy on specialized stores, but it's really that import? I mean, out of 100, how many units will need a setup?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Actually the DUC-460 Amara is also on offer in that same store, at around 110€. A good price, I think, but it's all laminate, and I was looking for a solid top. I don't know if it will make a difference at these first stages, though.

Also it's a generalist music store, not a specialized one. So no setup would be made, I guess.

I know it's recommended to buy on specialized stores, but it's really that import? I mean, out of 100, how many units will need a setup?
Anything that comes out of a factory will benefit from a setup. Can you play fine without one? Absolutely, but a setup will make it so much easier to play, especially if you're a beginner.

UkingViking

To me it sounds like a good idea to go for a solid top from the start.
If it is a local brick and mortar music store, you have the advantage, even over specialized shops, that you can try out the actual uke you are buying and decide what you like. I am not an expert on setups, went for a long time without thinking about it. But you could check the string height at the first and 12 th fret to see if it looks off, and bring a tuner to check intonation. Always good to bring a tuner.

From the three Flight ukes mentioned, I would be inclined towards the mahogany one myself. It also comes with fluorocarbon strings, so you wont have to change to fluoros yourself - I am a fan of Worth Browns. But it is all a matter of taste, and a assume you asked about the spruce one because you like it.

Morenatti

Thank you, you have right about spruce. I rushed for the price and for being solid top, but I have searched for some demos and found it too much bright.

To me it sounds like a good idea to go for a solid top from the start.
If it is a local brick and mortar music store, you have the advantage, even over specialized shops, that you can try out the actual uke you are buying and decide what you like. I am not an expert on setups, went for a long time without thinking about it. But you could check the string height at the first and 12 th fret to see if it looks off, and bring a tuner to check intonation. Always good to bring a tuner.

From the three Flight ukes mentioned, I would be inclined towards the mahogany one myself. It also comes with fluorocarbon strings, so you wont have to change to fluoros yourself - I am a fan of Worth Browns. But it is all a matter of taste, and a assume you asked about the spruce one because you like it.
Unfortunately it's an online store. I don't know if that ruins the sale, but being a brand that sells that much on Amazon and the likes I think the setup might be not so bad out the box. Just guessing

UkingViking

If the ukulele should be badly set up, which nothing indicates, you can always Google how to do it. It is some rather affordable ukuleles, and you can worry too much in stead of getting strumming.
After the British ukulele shops got brexited, ordering < €200 ukes from those is cumbersome, and "Gute Ukulele" doesnt have many entry level ukuleles. So ordering from a general music shop can make sense in your case.
Is this your first ukulele?
Have fun!

Last edited:

Morenatti

If the ukulele should be badly set up, which nothing indicates, you can always Google how to do it. It is some rather affordable ukuleles, and you can worry too much in stead of getting strumming.
After the British ukulele shops got brexited, ordering < €200 ukes from those is cumbersome, and "Gute Ukulele" doesnt have many entry level ukuleles. So ordering from a general music shop can make sense in your case.
Is this your first ukulele?
Have fun!

Yes, I'm having a hard time finding a good deal with setup done in EU.

It will be my first uke as such. I have learned the basics with a cheap, no branded uke that was around my home, but it's now when I'm really getting excited. I even have signed up to James Hill courses, so I'm looking for something more suitable to keep learning.

And yes, you are right... Maybe I'm overthinking it!

Last edited:

Ziret

Thank you, you have right about spruce. I rushed for the price and for being solid top, but I have searched for some demos and found it too much bright.

Unfortunately it's an online store. I don't know if that ruins the sale, but being a brand that sells that much on Amazon and the likes I think the setup might be not so bad out the box. Just guessing
I’ve bought many cheap ukes on amazon that were set up perfectly, and a few that weren’t. The ones that weren’t were from brands that are generally found in music stores—and are generally more expensive. I don’t think there’s a rule that they all need setups anymore.

Booksniffer

Yes, I'm having a hard time finding a good deal with setup done in EU.

It will be my first uke as such. I have learned the basics with a cheap, no branded uke that was around my home, but it's now when I'm really getting excited. I even have signed up to James Hill courses, so I'm looking for something more suitable to keep learning.

And yes, you are right... Maybe I'm overthinking it!

You are in the EU?

I can give you a couple of places to find good quality starter ukuleles, with setup if the instrument needs it.
Let's see, off the top of my head:

Ukesupply.de
Ukuleleplein.nl

There are one or two more in Germany I think, I'd have to dig through my bookmarks.
Gute Ukulele is fantastic, but they stock more the kind of ukulele that you start saving up for when you decide you're really serious about the instrument... ;)

You can also take a look at worldofukes.co.uk; prices to the EU include taxes already, Matt basically absorbs the extra cost.
(Take a look at their sales & specials section; usually some excellent deals there, also / especially in the beginner price range! And don't hesitate to email Matt with any questions or requests, he is a great guy to deal with)

Edit: ah, how could I forget https://mercatinodellukulele.it/gb/!

Last edited:

Morenatti

You are in the EU?

I can give you a couple of places to find good quality starter ukuleles, with setup if the instrument needs it.
Let's see, off the top of my head:

Ukesupply.de
Ukuleleplein.nl

There are one or two more in Germany I think, I'd have to dig through my bookmarks.
Gute Ukulele is fantastic, but they stock more the kind of ukulele that you start saving up for when you decide you're really serious about the instrument... ;)

You can also take a look at worldofukes.co.uk; prices to the EU include taxes already, Matt basically absorbs the extra cost.
(Take a look at their sales & specials section; usually some excellent deals there, also / especially in the beginner price range! And don't hesitate to email Matt with any questions or requests, he is a great guy to deal with)

Edit: ah, how could I forget https://mercatinodellukulele.it/gb/!

Thank you, I'll have a look at those sites. I didn't know some of them.

Cadia

World of Ukes is a great place to buy from. Very accomodating, and very fair pricing.

UkingViking

World of Ukes is a great place to buy from. Very accomodating, and very fair pricing.

The issue is that they have been brexited, and though they offer to handle the import hassle on ukes above a specific pricepoint, the OP is looking for entry level ukes below that treshold. Hence it is one of those spots where shopping within the EU makes sense, even if the vendor is less renowned.

Dohle

The issue is that they have been brexited, and though they offer to handle the import hassle on ukes above a specific pricepoint, the OP is looking for entry level ukes below that treshold. Hence it is one of those spots where shopping within the EU makes sense, even if the vendor is less renowned.
World of Ukes will cover VAT and import fees regardless of the price of the uke. It's just that you get free shipping for ukes over £200. Any lower than that and you just have to add £15 shipping.

UkingViking

World of Ukes will cover VAT and import fees regardless of the price of the uke. It's just that you get free shipping for ukes over £200. Any lower than that and you just have to add £15 shipping.
I stand corrected.

It is a nice shop indeed. I bought my AMM3 from them, though that was pre brexit.