Flight TUS-35E BK

Wiggy

Does anyone here own a Flight TUS-35E BK? How do they sound plugged in?

While not a pro player, I am well-versed in amplifiers and PA systems and so enjoy tinkering with amplifying ukuleles.

UkeStuff

While I haven't played one, the TUS35E-BK has a passive pickup, and is the only Flight travel model (of all the TUS, TUSL, and TUC models that are available) that ships with a pickup.

Wiggy

While I haven't played one, the TUS35E-BK has a passive pickup, and is the only Flight travel model (of all the TUS, TUSL, and TUC models that are available) that ships with a pickup.
... and it only comes in black - mysterious looking, but not my favorite. The price of this one is very tempting.

Yes, it is passive and does not have volume or tone controls. I have no experience trying to amplify that type of pickup. That's why I posed the question.

Does it have a weak signal that cannot be amplified enough by a mixer or instrument amp? Is it excessively trebly?

I already have a TU55S Mango to cart around and like it a lot.

<edit> Ah-hah! I found this about the passive pickup system in Flight's FAQ:

"A passive pick-up is just that…it is passive. While many amplifiers will still produce tone from a passive pickup, passive pickups are meant to be used with a pre-amp."

The requirement of a dedicated preamp is a purchase-stopper for me.

Next for consideration:

Flight DUS320CEQ SP/ZEB​

Last edited: