Flight WUS-4 Soprano - REVIEW

N

No, I would say more like the KS-5 - which are more money than $200

Surely the WUS-4 would be equivalent to the KS-5 since they're both laminate koa whereas the WUS-3, which kaimuki was asking about, would be equivalent to the KS-1, both laminate mahogany.

Current price of the Kiwaya KS-5 in Japan is about USD$310 plus tax. These are even harder to find at USA stores than the KS-1, but I do see some Japanese vendors selling them on Amazon USA for US$330 (shipped from Japan).

Hello there,
I am new to the forum but not a newbie in the ukulele world after seriously starting to play the instrument (after 26 years on guitar) last year.
My first soprano I purchased was and still is a Flight WUS3 model. I still play the WUS models as my main live and practise instruments.
I added some Brükos to my arsenal lately and like them a lot.

I tested many different models and brands over the year, new and vintage ones.
I still find the WUS ukes (next to the Brükos with an other kind of sound pronounciation) to sound incredibly good. I did not test high end models but the following ukes aside the WUS 3 & 4 (here a Japan made model)
- Kiwaya KTS-4
-Kiwaya KS 1 (I will speak more about that comparison and will show/link a video later)
-Ohana SK 38 and 39
-Brüko Sopranos
-vintage Martin style 1
-Koaloha Opio Soprano
- less well made entry Level Sopranos by different companies.

For several reasons I decided to keep the WUS models as my main ukuleles.

Directly compared to the Kiwaya KS-1 (Famous FS 1) it sounded more punchy, louder, boomier if you could say so. That does not mean I did not like the KS-1. It sounds more focused on the midranges and barks really nicely and reminds a bit more of an older Martin soprano.
I would definately purchase one if those ECO (how they are named in Europe) models over all the others in that or even a higher price range.
In comparison to a straight out of the box Kiwaya KTS-4 I liked the fullness in sound of the WUS3 more (which I did not expect). I know that this could have several reasons (like that the model would have needed time to open up more, may be other strings - although I am good at finding out the best tone of an instrument however it is strung -, I was not focused/trained to hear a Martin ukulele Sound at that time, may be other factors).

The WUS models are confirmed (by Juliana from Flight and Barry confirmed that too) built by ex Kiwaya builders (approximately). There is a strong connection to Kiwaya as you can tell and they also look very very similar (besides the head stock) to GCEA laminate ukuleles (Mahagony or Koa) by Mitsuba Gakki in Hawaii (in store at f.e. Puapua Ukulele). The second relation is not officially confirmed anyways.
The deal with the WUS models was to introduce high quality affordable sopranos with a "vintage" vibe to the european market. They are models of Flight's "heritage" series next to a Kind of Martin soprano and concert and a longneck soprano (lower price anddifferent making).

For me the WUS models do the trick perfectly though.
I liked the Ohanas for their vintage Martin vibe, loved the vintage 1940s Martin Style 0 for its even louder, aged, nearly resonator bell like tone but the model I had was in a heavily used shape. Even with a reset nut and saddle the bridge it was not 100% nicely in shape at the bridge and for what I am after I did not really get "warm" with this one (I should have kept it anyways).
I did use it for two recordings for my next Album though (one solo bluesy original track and one overdub playing slide on it).

I am going the Brüko route right now for several reasons (I visited the factory this year and it really convinced me to support their ukes more, although they already have a great, world wide reputation).
They Sound different to the WUS models (which may have a bit more the orientation of old Kamaka like models (where the Kiwayas refer to the old Martin ukes)) and I like that contrast: clear, crisp nearly bell like tones, a certain Brüko like bark and a big variaty of models delivering different - but always Brüko destinct - tone and look, craftmanship.

I got my WUS3 models (2 from the first batch "made in Hawaii) from Andreas David and a Japan made WUS4 from an other dealer (ukesupply) who had the second batch first in Germany since I was after them at this time.

I recorded my debut EP playing them and gigged (when ever possible in those times) with them plugged (2 Equipment with Andreas Isaak passive under saddle piezos) and unplugged and am happy with them.
They do not get the tone (and volume) of an old Martin soprano but I think come really close to that for a good price.

Compared to a great sounding Koaloha Opio Mahagony Soprano the WUS 4 I had that day sounded a bit (weaker), the Koaloha sounded enormous... but a bit too boomy and complex for my taste at that moment. I might decide differently today.

So, here they were (if of any interest) my insights playing and comparing the Flight WUS models for more than one year now quite exzessiven. For the price I think they are awesome players' instruments with a really good tone, playability and quality.
I play low and high g material on them. Later I changed to simple friction tuners because I like those more (look and function wise).

Merry christmas, Kind regards and play some ukulele today.

Jan Haasler (from mid Germany)

Last edited:
Hello there,
I am new to the forum but not a newbie in the ukulele world after seriously starting to play the instrument (after 26 years on guitar) last year.
My first soprano I purchased was and still is a Flight WUS3 model. I still play the WUS models as my main live and practise instruments.
I added some Brükos to my arsenal lately and like them a lot.

I tested many different models and brands over the year, new and vintage ones.
I still find the WUS ukes (next to the Brükos with an other kind of sound pronounciation) to sound incredebly good. I did not test high end models but the following ukes aside the WUS 3 & 4 (here a Japan made model)
- Kiwaya KTS-4
-Kiwaya KS 1 (I will speak more about that comparison and will show/link a video later)
-Ohana SK 38 and 39
-Brüko Sopranos
-vintage Martin style 1
-Koaloha Opio Soprano
- less well made entry Level Sopranos by different companies.

For several reasons I decided to keep the WUS models as my main ukuleles.

Directly compared to the Kiwaya KS-1 (Famous FS 1) it sounded more punchy, louder, boomier if you could say so. That does not mean I did not like the KS-1. It sounds more focused on the midranges and barks really nicely and reminds a bit more of an older Martin soprano.
I would definately purchase one if those ECO (how they are named in Europe) models over all the others in that or even a higher price range.
In comparison to a straight out of the box Kiwaya KTS-4 I liked the fullness in sound of the WUS3 more (which I did not expect). I know that this could have several reasons (like that the model would have needed time to open up more, may be other strings - although I am good at finding out the best tone of an instrument however it is strung -, I was not focused/trained to hear a Martin ukulele Sound at that time, may be other factors).

The WUS models are confirmed (by Juliana from Flight and Barry Confiserie that too) built by ex Kiwaya builders. There is a strong connecticut to Kiwaya as you can tell and they also look very very similar (besides the head stock) to GCEA laminate ukuleles (Mahagony or Koa) by Mitsuba Gakki in Hawaii (in store at f.e. Puapua Ukulele). The second relation is not officially confirmed anyways.
The deal with the WUS models was to introduce high quality affirdable sopranos with a "vintage" vibe to the european market. They are models of Flight's "heritage" series next to a Kind of Martin soprano and concert and a longneck soprano (lower price anddifferent making).

For me the WUS models do the Trick perfectly though.
I liked the Ohanas for their vintage Martin vibe, loved the vintage 1940s Martin Style 0 for its even louder, aged, nearly resonator bell like tone but the model I had was in a heavily used shape. Even with a reset nut and saddle the bridge it was not 100% nicely in shape at the bridge and for what I am after I did not really get "warm" with this one (I should have kept it anyways).
I did use it for two recordings for my next Album though (one solo bluesy original track and one overdub playing slide on it).

I am going the Brüko route right now for several reasons (I visited the factory this year and it really convinced me to support their ukes more, although they already have a great, world wide reputation).
They Sound different to the WUS models (which may have a bit more the orientation of old Kamaka like models (where the Kiwayas refer to the old Martin ukes)) and I like thst contrast: clear, crisp nearly bell like tones, a certain Brüko like bark and a big variaty of models delivering different - but always Brüko destinct - tone and look, craftmanship.

I got my WUS3 models (2 from the first batch "made in Hawaii) from Andreas David and a Japan made WUS4 from an other dealer (ukesupply) who had the second batch first in Germany since I was after them at this time.

I recorded my debut EP playing them and gigged (when ever possible in those times) with them plugged (2 Equipment with Andreas Isaak passive under saddle piezos) and unplugged and am happy with them.
The do not get the tone (and volume) of an old Martin soprano but I think come really close to that for a good price.

Compared to a great sounding Koaloha Opio Mahagony Soprano the WUS 4 I had that day sounded a bit (weaker), the Koaloha sounded enormes... but a bit too boomt and complex for my taste at that moment. I might decide differently today.

So, here they were (if of any interest) my insights playing and comparing the Flight WUS models for more than one year now quite exzessiven. For the price I think they are awesome players' instruments with a really good tone, playability and quality.
I play low and high g material on them. Later I changed to simple friction tuners because I like those more (look and function wise).

Merry christmas, Kind regards and play some ukulele today.

Jan Haasler (from mid Germany)
Which strings on the WUS 3&4 high G ?

Which strings on the WUS 3&4 high G ?
Hello there,

I mosty use the strings they came with which are Flight FUS SC100 Flourcarbons (soprano/concert) or even FUS T100 (tenor) with slightly thicker A, e and g strings. A Set similar to the Martin M600.
Occassionally I tested them with Aquila Nylguts which I do not like that much but they still go fine with them (for a bit thicker feel).
I recommend the "The Tin Man's Magic Ukulele Strings" which I also tested (Christopher Davis-Shannon gave a Set to me and I ordered more after liking them). Wonderful tones with those.
In our german Facebook group "Ukulele Deutschland" those are liked a lot too and a german dealer Was sold out with them.
Christopher even added a bit more length to the next sets (which he hand cuts) to get 2 Sets out of one package.

I am not a certain liker of specific brands or sets per se. All flourcarbon Sets worked for me so far. I do not like a too loose and thin or too fat and strong gauge and tension so far.

I always encurage to experiment yourself. What works for me does not have to work for others. Going the route may be the goal.

I will post videos/link youtube videos on a string comparison soon too.

Thanks for asking.
Hope I did well answering the question.
Kind regards and happy strumming AND merry christmas.
Jan Haasler

Last edited:
Hello there,

I mosty use the strings they came with which are Flight TUS Flourcarbons (soprano/concert). A Set similar to the Martin M600.
Occassionally I tested them with Aquila Nylguts which I do not like that much but they still go fine with them (for a bit thicker feel).
I recommend the "The Tin Man's Magic Ukulele Strings" which I also tested (Christopher Davis-Shannon Gabel a Set to me and I 8rdered more after liking them). Wonderful tones with those.
In our german Facebook group "Ukulele Deutschland" those are liked a lot too and a german dealer Was sold out with them.
Christopher even added a bit more length to the next sets (which he hand cuts) to get 2 Sets out of one package.

I am not a certain liker of specific brands or sets per se. All flourcarbon Sets worked for me so far. I do not like a too loose and thin or too fat and strong gauge and tension so far.

I always encurage to experiment yourself. What works for me does not have to work for others. Going the route may be the goal.

I will post videos/link youtube videos on a string comparison soon too.

Thanks for asking.
Hope I did well answering the question.
Kind regards and happy strumming AND merry christmas.
Jan Haasler
Yes , you answered my question well . Thank You .

I forgot to mention that I play both low and high g tunings. For the low G I mostly use a wound Aquila low g tenor string (which is okay and available at my local area) but I also tried an Aquila red low g (tenor) string which I found too loose and not 100% intonating right on my uke at the time I used it.
I use single "D" Savarez wound classical guitar strings too or "D" D'addario "D" strings too. They all worked fine for me on my Flight WUS models or the Brükos that I currently love to play.

Here is a first comparison video with 6 different soprano ukes that I have at home (Flight WUS 3, Brüko S001 maple soprano) or that thankyfully www. ukesupply.de sent me to do some demonstrational videos with (Kiwaya KS-1, Islander solid mahagony soprano, Ohana SK-38 and SK-39).
A longer description in english is attatched to the video. I sometimes talk english or german and am not shure, which language to prefer to a potential audience (since I adress both, english and german speakers).

It may shows how the Flight WUS 3 sounds compared to all those nice sopranos.

The WUS 4 which I also play is a bit more mellow but not THAT much of different in sound (noticeably though).

I forgot to mention that I play both low and high g tunings. For the low G I mostly use a wound Aquila low g tenor string (which is okay and available at my local area) but I also tried an Aquila red low g (tenor) string which I found too loose and not 100% intonating right on my uke at the time I used it.
I use single "D" Savarez wound classical guitar strings too or "D" D'addario "D" strings too. They all worked fine for me on my Flight WUS models or the Brükos that I currently love to play.

Here is a first comparison video with 6 different soprano ukes that I have at home (Flight WUS 3, Brüko S001 maple soprano) or that thankyfully www. ukesupply.de sent me to do some demonstrational videos with (Kiwaya KS-1, Islander solid mahagony soprano, Ohana SK-38 and SK-39).
A longer description in english is attatched to the video. I sometimes talk english or german and am not shure, which language to prefer to a potential audience (since I adress both, english and german speakers).

The WUS 4 which I also play is a bit more mellow but not THAT much of different in sound (noticeably though).

You answered my question well . :) Thank You .

Welcome to the Forum, Jan. And many thanks for your excellent comparison video. It was quite comprehensive, and very helpful. I also really enjoyed your playing skills! Hope there is more to come. :) Happy New Year!

I know this is an old threat. I feel I might add some clearifisation here with a comparison I did a longer while ago.
After having played the WUS models excessively and recorded my two albums using them, comoaring them to the Kiwaya ECO (KS 1/5) models I can say that both ukulele models (WUS vs ECO) ate similar but very different (construction, shape, sound).
(I had two WUS 3 for low and high "g" and two WUS4 the same).

Back then I liked the more boomy and mud range focus (the bite/bark) of the WUS model iver the more elegant/delicate Kiwaya sound (here: WUS3 vs KS-1, high pressure laminate mahagony).

I compare the two in the beginning of the clip here.

I've got my first one back somecweeks ago and finally ended up reselling it again. Lovely built and sounding ukuleles (especially the first batch "Made in Hawaii) . But I am a lover of more old time sounding ukuleles/solid wood ukuleles like Brüko and Martin (vintage).
However. A great threat and thanks for All people here involved getting all those Information, knowledge and assumptions.

Jan

EDIT: Actually I see this video was reposted in that threat already. If obsolete then ignoriert this latest post

bazmaz , since you loved the Flight WUS-4 you might want to take a look at the made in Japan , Romero Creations Limited Edition 10th Anniversary Vintage Soprano .

Top Bottom