Four Concerts

Paul Henneberry

Reaction score
Howdee, my new batch of concert ukes are complete! . Everything went to plan which for me is probably the most pleasing outcome. I love a good plan.
The common features are:
  • Scale Length: 15”
  • Fretboard Material: Mulga
  • Tuners: Gotoh stealth STP31 cosmo black,
  • Strings: Worth Brown BM
  • Bracing: Double X with CF reinforcing
  • Pick Up: JJB prestige 220
  • Finish: Mirothane 5555 gloss
  • Green Bling: recon malachite
The individual timbers for each uke are. (You can probably work out which is which in the pictures):
  • Body Material: Curly Big Leaf Maple
  • Soundboard Material: Curly Big Leaf Maple
  • Neck: Curly Big Leaf Maple

• Body Material: Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
  • Soundboard Material: Australian Red Cedar
  • Neck: Australian Red Cedar

• Body Material: French Walnut
  • Soundboard Material: Celery Top Pine
  • Neck: Curly Black Walnut

• Body Material: Dark Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
  • Soundboard Material: Dark Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
  • Neck: Dark Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
I had detailed the build process with a bunch of posts on my blog site if you are interested in the techniques or tools I used. https://jarrahdalestringinstrumentcompany.wordpress.com/2.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

1.JPGDSCN0607.JPG
cheers
Paul

Attachments

• 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Very attractive with lovely detail.

Very nice. I like your headstock design. Very unique.

>>> A lot of the pictures are coming through as duplicates. Might want to delete some of them...

I love that first one and I'm assuming the cedar is the more orange one in the group shot. I covet that one lol.
They're all beautiful and your friends or the charity should be very happy.
Thanks for sharing.

Gaw! 👊🏻🤤
And you're not even selling?!? I haven't heard them but they certainly "look the business" and I'm sure could bring a pretty penny.

I like that malachite! Very nice finishing work. Paul, I checked out your blog, and your philosophy of gifting the ukuleles to the world resonates with me. Making the world a better place, four ukuleles at a time, eh? :)

Your Uke's are gorgeous! Love the blue fittings- SO classy!

They are beautiful ! Do you have any recordings made? I would love to hear them...Thank you for sharing...

Hi, thanks everybody for your kind and supportive posts.
I don't count hours but I guess there are about 100 hours in each instrument. So that is 400 hours of my spare time spread over the last 6 months and I loved almost every minute. This is the second batch of these concerts I have done so the moulds and tooling were already in place which greatly helped in smoothing out the production flow. After 50 ukes, the area where I'm finally seeing productivity improvements is in finishing. Its now down to about 20% of the build hours and the stress has finally gone out of the process. For those that are struggling with spraying high gloss, stick with it, you will eventually stop having pin holes, runs in the wet spray and rub throughs. I did a post on my blog about overcoming those issues.
Michael Smith, I think I got almost the last gotoh stealths in the wild from the Southern Ukulele Store in the UK. Rob was an absolute pleasure to deal with and he might have a few more left. This was the second time I have used them after suffering all of the problems that have earned them a bad wrap the first time. But they are so small and cute I decided to give them another go. This time I found some 6mm ID / 7mm OD teflon tube on ebay and used it as a sleeve for the posts. It worked a treat and almost completely cured the backlash problem. I'd definitely use them again if Gotoh decide to put them back into production.
Zeka7, I'm a modest player but would record something for you if I had the facilities but I don't have a decent microphone or anything analogue to record it onto. If I borrowed a mic what is the best way of making an audio file available? I don't think we can attach audio files here can we? I might be able to host it on my blog site but have never tried.
My next uke project might be to try and make a copy of Joni Mitchell's first ever instrument which was a Harmony Baritone made in about 1962. All mahogany, peg tuners, tortoise binding only around the soundboard, hardly any rosette. It will take all of my discipline not to bling it up. I made a copy of one of her dulcimers a few years ago and enjoyed the research.
Anyhow, thanks again everybody for your support.
cheers
Paul

... Joni Mitchell's first ever instrument which was a Harmony Baritone... hardly any rosette. It will take all of my discipline not to bling it up...
You could always add a tiny, ~5° arc of malachite to the rosette to satisfy your bling urge.

Another fabulous batch of instruments Paul.

Howdee, my new batch of concert ukes are complete! . Everything went to plan which for me is probably the most pleasing outcome. I love a good plan.
The common features are:
  • Scale Length: 15”
  • Fretboard Material: Mulga
  • Tuners: Gotoh stealth STP31 cosmo black,
  • Strings: Worth Brown BM
  • Bracing: Double X with CF reinforcing
  • Pick Up: JJB prestige 220
  • Finish: Mirothane 5555 gloss
  • Green Bling: recon malachite
The individual timbers for each uke are. (You can probably work out which is which in the pictures):
  • Body Material: Curly Big Leaf Maple
  • Soundboard Material: Curly Big Leaf Maple
  • Neck: Curly Big Leaf Maple

• Body Material: Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
  • Soundboard Material: Australian Red Cedar
  • Neck: Australian Red Cedar

• Body Material: French Walnut
  • Soundboard Material: Celery Top Pine
  • Neck: Curly Black Walnut

• Body Material: Dark Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
  • Soundboard Material: Dark Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
  • Neck: Dark Curly Tasmanian Blackwood
I had detailed the build process with a bunch of posts on my blog site if you are interested in the techniques or tools I used. https://jarrahdalestringinstrumentcompany.wordpress.com/View attachment 141488View attachment 141489View attachment 141490View attachment 141491

View attachment 141487View attachment 141493
cheers
Paul
Wanted to mention these aqua strings would probably look lit as s** on these particular ukes.

I like that malachite! Very nice finishing work. Paul, I checked out your blog, and your philosophy of gifting the ukuleles to the world resonates with me. Making the world a better place, four ukuleles at a time, eh? :)
From the blog:
“It’s my way of giving something back to my community that I am sure will make it a better place.”

This is exactly why I started a band playing free shows for children. We do not play anywhere that has admission fee. You’re doing the work!!! Glad to have you!!!

Top Bottom