Fremont Blacklines or Worth Browns?

RawrGazzawrs

I'm familiar with worth browns but not fremont blacklines.. has anyone tried both and can post a comparison? I'd like to get both and see myself but I'd like to know if there are any big differences in their sound.

bazmaz

Any comparison will only be as good as the uke it was tested on, the playing style and the ears of the player.

I've played both, find them similar, but different ones suit different instruments (for me at least) - your mileage may vary.

coolkayaker1

Yep, what bazmaz said. It's too subjective to answer in general...like asking someone what's the difference between a Ticondaroga #2 yellow pencil and a Palomino #2 black pencil.

Bill Mc

I've used the Fremont Blacklines a number of times on different ukuleles but used the Worth Browns only once on a Brüko #6. So my observation is limited only to that one situation. I replaced the Fremont Blacklines on my Brüko with the Worth Browns tuned to G, C, E, A. The effect the Worth Browns had on the Brüko was that they toned down the sound, felt softer under my fingers, and a bit sloppy. None of theses changes were acceptable. So I tuned up the Brüko to A, D, F#, B. That made quite a nice change in the sound and feel but only for about one day because the B string snapped ! Whether or not these results are characteristic of the Worth Browns I have no idea. Nevertheless the Worth Browns left me unimpressed and I will not purchase another set.

bazmaz

What Bill Mc says highlights the issue Rawr - I know many who like Worth Browns on that uke and many that don't. Neither party is 'right' or 'wrong' .

Grab a set of what you fancy, trial them and share your thoughts with UU!

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
String choice is personal and VERY subjective.
I find the Blacklines and Orcas to be very similar.
To me they sound a little brighter than Worth Browns, but mellower than Clears.
To me they all have the same feel on my tenors.

wickedwahine11

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I recall, I preferred the feel and look of the Worth Browns, but I thought the Fremont Blacklines were a little louder and slightly brighter, though I think it all depends on the instrument. Strings thatI love on one uke, I don't necessarily like on another. I hate to say it, but your best bet is to try both.

guitarsnrotts

Tried both on both my Mainland cedar/rosewood pineapple soprano and Martin S-O. On each, the Worths sounded a bit warmer. I also liked the feel of the Worths for fingerpicking a bit more. That being said the Fremonts were the only strings I found that really brought out the best tone of my Lanikai spalted mango tenor. Somewhat louder on the tenor than the Worths, although they were Worth clears I tried on the tenor.

PoiDog

I've tried (and used) both a lot, on a variety of ukes - from solid koa tenors to laminate concerts.

Both are great. Both have their own personality. Both have their own drawbacks.

Give the Fremonts a try. They may be *The* string for you.

hmgberg

I've used both on the same instruments. As most everyone agrees, it's subjective. I have Browns on most of my ukes, I like the warmth. They are louder and mellower than Clears. The Fremonts were brighter than the Browns, louder than the Clears, but not as rich as the Browns. If you like a bright sound, go with the Fremonts; if you prefer mellow, choose the Browns. If you're not sure...get them both.

poppy

I ended up with a Worth low g and freemont c,e,a strings . It just worked well on my concert lol so I'm still confused but I like it ! As I remember the worth had just a tad more tension and I liked the feel better.

bdukes

Yep, what bazmaz said. It's too subjective to answer in general...like asking someone what's the difference between a Ticondaroga #2 yellow pencil and a Palomino #2 black pencil.

Oh no you didn't! Everyone knows that the Tico 2 is the superior writing instrument. The tolerances to which the T2 is manufactured are far more exact than the Palosteamo (what us pencil connoisseurs call them). Higher contrast and easier shading on virtually all writing surfaces come standard with the T2. The eraser alone is worth the purchase. Anybody who thinks otherwise has their head where the sun don't shine. And.... scene. :)

As others have said, personal pref and a number of other factors will play into your decision, such as type of uke, wood, playing style etc. I have tried both the Fremonts and the Worth BTs on multiple ukes and have selected each of them as good choices for certain ukes. I think of it as a range from brightests to warmest, with Worth Clears and Worth Browns as the ends of the spectrum, with Fremonts somewhere in the middle. Personally, I prefer Fremonts on my Koa ukes and Worth Browns on ukes that are inherently brighter, like the spruce - maple combination in the Pono MPT-SH. FWIW, I have some samples on soundcloud. Having said all that, you'll probably want to buy both. Small investment to find out what works for you.

http://soundcloud.com/bdukes22/worth-bt-pono-mptsh
http://soundcloud.com/bdukes22/fremont-blacklines-pono-mptsh

coolkayaker1

Oh no you didn't! Everyone knows that the Tico 2 is the superior writing instrument. The tolerances to which the T2 is manufactured are far more exact than the Palosteamo (what us pencil connoisseurs call them). Higher contrast and easier shading on virtually all writing surfaces come standard with the T2. The eraser alone is worth the purchase. Anybody who thinks otherwise has their head where the sun don't shine. And.... scene. :)

But, it depends on the hand using them, so a person would really have to try both. LOL

wickedwahine11

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had both sets on my Kanilea today. The Worth browns were sweeter and I preferred the feel of them. The Blacklines were louder and had better intonation. I noticed the Worth browns were off by a couple of ticks on the C and G string, but I think I like the sound a tad more, so it is a tough call as the Blacklines had perfect intonation.