From tenor to concert?

Spud1$

Reaction score
I started with a Kala SMLT tenor which I love. My partner has begun learning and he also loves my tenor so I have been using my granddaughters Makala Dolphin. It's been fun and makes me think maybe I could adjust to a concert size and get a little more uke for the money. I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Thanks

I think you have to go a long way to beat a well set up Dolphin. I love mine. I also love my Mainland mahogany concert. I think you would be very satisfied with either a nice soprano or concert.

there's also the long neck soprano option. The kala snlg... (forgot its name) uke is only 90 dollars on HMS and it's probably one of the greatest bang for bucks that I've read online. If you get a long neck, you'll have the great long scale neck and the classic soprano sound.

EDIT: oops, someone beat me to it.

...get a little more uke for the money.
The size of the uke has nothing to do with the cost.

The larger the size, the greater the volume and the complexity of the sound (mode mid-low range tones). Some folks like the smaller ukes for their pitch, and small size. Me, I prefer larger ones. Nothing to do with price.

The size of the uke has nothing to do with the cost.

The larger the size, the greater the volume and the complexity of the sound (mode mid-low range tones). Some folks like the smaller ukes for their pitch, and small size. Me, I prefer larger ones. Nothing to do with price.

Well when I look at HMS they have some that come in more than one size and the tenor costs more than the concert. When I bought my tenor from HMS they had the exact same one in a concert but its cost was less. That is what made me ask this question to begin with. Also I read in another thread that often the same maker has similar sound in different size Ukes that it mostly depends on the wood. I have so little experience I just thought maybe I could get a better uke for the money I have to spend.

One of the biggest misconceptions I hear about ukes is that one size is better than another for a particular comfort reason. Or that concerts are 'easier' than sopranos as they have more space. Both wrong IMHO.

I know some huge guys who solely play soprano and never played much else.

Also - ease of space on the fingerboard is more to do with nut width than scale length. The difference in spacing between different sizes is actually quite small. I own sopranos with more space than concerts due to wider nuts.

You will be fine!

Though of course not if you compare a koaloha soprano to a koaloha concert!

Top Bottom