FS: LoPrinzi model AK-S all-koa soprano, UPT tuners

Patty

UU VIP
UU VIP
I bought this LoPrinzi soprano model AK-S from Donna LoPrinzi on March 23, 2022. It's a delight, and I thought I'd have it forever, but my UAS got the better of me. A couple of days ago I jumped on another soprano I'd been hankering after, and now something's gotta go. (This hurts!) It comes down to selling either this or my Ken Timms soprano, and the Timms has edged out this lovely LoPrinzi.

Sides, back, and top are all koa, a lovely deep honey color with beautiful grain. The neck and headstock have the signature Loprinzi stripe of walnut sandwiched between maple. Ebony fretboard and bridge. Bone nut and saddle. The neck is about 5/8 inch thick at the nut, and the nut width is 1+3/8. It is now strung (low G) with Living Water strings.

I had Donna add Gotoh UPT friction tuners in an ivory color to match the maple stripes on the neck and headstock. Also added tortoise-colored wooden strap buttons from Waverly to complement the koa. It's all extremely pretty! No flaws, dings, or scratches.

Price is $600 plus shipping. The uke will be shipped in a sturdy UkeCrazy foam case (pictured). PayPal only, no trades.

IMG_1376.jpeg
IMG_1338.jpeg
IMG_1341.jpeg
IMG_1343.jpeg
IMG_1346.jpeg
IMG_1348.jpeg
IMG_1350.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1378.jpeg

Tom51251

This is a great little player. Are you sure you won’t regret selling it?

Last edited:

DuckyI

This sounds like something you will regret... Is there a way to keep hold of it?

Patty

UU VIP
UU VIP
This sounds like something you will regret... Is there a way to keep hold of it?
Well, if I think of a way, I’ll withdraw the FS listing. But practical considerations intervene!

gsk475

Hi, sorry, this may be a dumb question, but if they're Gotoh UPT tuners, doesn't that mean they're not friction tuners? I thought those were geared?

Patty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Hi, sorry, this may be a dumb question, but if they're Gotoh UPT tuners, doesn't that mean they're not friction tuners? I thought those were geared?
They are geared only in the sense that they're made with tiny gears inside the mechanism, but in appearance they're like friction tuners. There was a recent thread in one of the forums with the history of their development. I can't seem to post a link to the thread itself, but here's the manufacturer's link that he posted. (And by the way, there are no dumb questions!)

gsk475

They are geared only in the sense that they're made with tiny gears inside the mechanism, but in appearance they're like friction tuners. There was a recent thread in one of the forums with the history of their development. I can't seem to post a link to the thread itself, but here's the manufacturer's link that he posted. (And by the way, there are no dumb questions!)
Thank you for the explanation! I'd heard of Gotoh tuners before, but I don't think I've ever seen any in person and didn't know this history about them. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if I see an ukulele with them in a store and try them out.

rainbow21

Thank you for the explanation! I'd heard of Gotoh tuners before, but I don't think I've ever seen any in person and didn't know this history about them. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if I see an ukulele with them in a store and try them out.
They have a 4:1 gear ratio and are very smooth. They are easier to tune than friction and are perhaps the favorite of many players and manufacturers currently. Having Gotoh Planetary tuners are usually considered an upgrade.