G'day from Woy Woy, Australia

WoyWoy

Reaction score
Hello to all UU members and thanks for having me - although Groucho Marx did warn that he would not join any club that would accept him as a member!
I'm recently retired to a quiet village community on the Central Coast of NSW.
The town of Woy Woy has been the butt of many jokes over the years, made famous by the mirth of Spike Milligan at the name. Spike's mother lived here and there's a small bridge named after him.
My dad played uke occasionally and taught me how to play Little Brown Jug when I was about 7 years old. I tinkered fruitlessly with acoustic guitar for a long time but when I was 57 a friend urged me to join a ukulele social group. I picked up a uke in a music store and even after 50 years I could easily rattle off Little Brown Jug.
I was immediately hooked and remain so.
I look forward to expanding my uke horizons here, as a Woy Woy boy.
Cheers.

Welcome, Woywoy! We must be twins ..... Little Brown Jug was the first ever uke song I ever played as well, back in the late 60s ..... and like you, I didn't play uke again til I found one in a 2nd hand shop in 2010! Like you I tuned it up then & there & played Little Brown Jug - and bought it! LOL I still have it - and about 10 others :eek:

If you ever head north, give me a yell - we have a great group singing & playing out of Forster, just north of you ..... tho we'll be having our 'summer break' from Mid Dec til the end of Jan!!

I have a song base of thousands ..... so if you are ever looking for one & can't find it - chances are, I may have it! We have some great Aussie Xmas ones too ..... we prefer them to 'snow ones'! :)

cheers

Roberta

Put Forster Jumping Fleas into Youtube & some of our vids should come up (Vimeo as well)

Welcome to UU mate!
I love the name of your town!

Hi Roberta,
Thanks for the warm welcome and what a happy coincidence. Indeed, I know of your Jumping Fleas because I met one of your friendly members very recently - briefly at a barbecue while on holiday at Lord Howe Island. I'm afraid my doddery brain has forgotten her name - Elizabeth? Elaine? -but she borrowed my uke to serenade me with your cheery club song! I will indeed look you up when next I'm in your neighbourhood, thanks.

What an amazing coincidence!

That would have been Janelle!! Her & husband Brian (who plays our Cajon) are highly valued members of our group! They were there to celebrate their 50th wedding Anniversary - as they had honeymooned there!

I understand the weather was a bit dodgy tho - they were delayed from leaving for 2 days!! I didn't hear too many complaints tho! LOL

Look forward to catching up with you!!

cheerio

Roberta

Hello WoyWoy, great intro story.
Welcome to the forum.
Congratulation on taking up the ukulele again after so long, and for living in one of the most
awesome places in the world, surfing, fishing, sailing, and sunshine.

Top Bottom