Getting Darker progressions from the Ukulele

aehalt

Reaction score
I have recently bought a dynamic mic ans plan to record some arrangements. What has me intrigued as of late is exploring a set of chords that have me looking for a darker side to the ukulele to explore.

Using F min (1013) and ....(0111) I can get a nice little turn around going that creates a darker feel to it. A more dissonant and tension creating progression. I would love if anyone had tips to explore this a little further. I've been seeking minor, diminished, and augmented chords to accompany the chords listed above but i haven't found a match yet.

Help using the circle of fifths would also be appreciated(how to use it if I'm not choosing majors, and my goal is to go dark with it)... Thanks for your patience and understanding. It's hard to achieve it on my own(uke is so bright) but with a little help from you guys I can take over!

try 4432 with your f min. Its like a g chord but with your ring finger on the top two strings on the fourth fret. Sorry don't know what the chord is called. Once you get the chord try moving it up or down the frets to match whatever your playing with. Let me know what you come up with. Im gonna record something I been workin on. Let me know what you think. Ill post a link in a min.

http://youtu.be/yZhFKEKLhx4

Last edited:
http://autochords.com/#creepy:B::min This site will generate chord progressions. Drop-down menu will help you choose the genre you are aiming for, including "creepy stuff". Hope that helps. Do you have a general understanding of the circle of fifths?

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/circleprogressions.html

This site might have some good information on cycles and how to move.

Another thing I like to do is think of a song that gives me the vibe I'm going for and look at the chords for that song.

I'm sure the veteran UU members have much better information than my rusty mind can offer! I'll be excited to see what is posted in this thread.

Attached are a couple of chord charts that might initially surprise you, but hear me out. Yes, they're both sappy ballads. But they both have some dark and interesting chord progressions, which is less surprising when you find out they both have their roots in classical music.

Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic" is based on an excerpt of Frédéric Chopin's Prelude in C Minor, Opus 28, Number 20. The intro of the song is pretty much a direct copy of Chopin's piece, but it works nicely.

And Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" is based on the second movement (Adagio Sostenuto) of Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Opus 18.

Before you write these off as cheesy, pick up a uke and strum through the chord changes. In my opinion, there are some really cool harmonic movements in these tunes, and they flow surprisingly well on a uke.

Hope this is helpful - enjoy!

Attachments

• Could It Be Magic.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 18
  • All By Myself.pdf
    3.3 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom