Getting rid of light over spray

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Almost done with my current build, I decided I didn't like the finish on the peg head, so I loosely wrapped the uke in butcher's paper and resprayed the peg head. I find that on one side of the uke on the waist it's a little bit bumpy now from over spray. I plan on just polishing it out when I polish the peg head, maybe starting at 1000 grit, 1500, 2000, medium polishing compound and then fine. All very lightly, though, as I don't want to polish through. Referring to the over spray area here, not the peg head. That'll get a more complete workup. Is there another way I should be approaching this? Thanks.

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
o·ver·spray
/ˈōvərˌsprā/

noun
  1. excess paint or other liquid which spreads or blows beyond an area being sprayed.
;)

Surely someone here has had to deal with this before?

BradDonaldson

Hey Matt, I suspect that most people are a bit hesitant to answer because this can be iffy. Most of the time, a light sanding is all you need, but sometimes those over spray droplets can burn deep into the existing finish, carrying impurities and are a bitch to get rid of. Good luck.
Brad

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Thanks Brad. It came right out, started at 1200, 1500, 2000, then medium and fine polishing compounds, all with a light touch.