getting this ukulele tattoo today!!

that's pretty cool, must hurt, lots of blood on left. ouch.

no strings. unless super thin like thread width, would distract. plus, can always add in a year or two if people say, hey, where's your strings

That's looking great! I'm in the no strings camp. Strings are not going to look right unless they are dead-straight...and I think the neck of the uke has been more freehand/organically shaped. If you put in freehand strings then everybody (well, players, anyway) are subconsciously going to be thinking "why are the strings slack". If you put them in ruler-straight as strings under tension are then it is going to emphasize the free-form of the tree and neck and be, I think, distracting.''

In short, the entire tattoo is very flowing and organic...anything severely straight is going to pop out and grab all the attention. Sometimes less is more...

John

You don't need the strings. If you add strings, it will just make the neck and headstock look more complicated, and right now you have a nice contrast between uke and tree. If you want to be able to see the uke, then keep that simple vs. complicated and light vs dark contrast.

–Lori

I know a guy who had his big toenails removed and a line tattoo'd in each nail bed and then the toenails put back. Absolutely true. Why? Because he decided to get a few tattoo's in the most painful places to help him deal with the loss of his father. I think the other locations were shin and ankle, but I was so traumatized by seeing his toe and hearing the story, the rest is a blur. I guess we all have our ways of dealing with things...

Oooh got a funny feeling on my big toe reading that!

That looks incredible! I'm also in the no strings camp.

I'm a Tattooist....ide say do the strings in 'white'...they wont show up as solid lines but will show up as a light shine.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the string ideas!! We did another session yesterday... 6 or so hours :). He'll be doing more layering of the green summer part next week and working on the fall colors! image.jpgimage.jpg. I love how it's coming along :)

Thanks, guys! I'm really excited.... It's tons of fun!! Hopefully we'll be done after. 2 more sessions!

Oh..I get it now, the tree is going to be spring,summer,fall,winter - very, very cool.

It's looking great.

John

Very impressive. Yes I'd rock a t-shirt with that on the back. It'd be my ode to you and I'd explain your story to everyone who asked about what the ukulele means to this beautiful stranger somewhere in the midwest. Very cool.

My artist is super busy right now, but he said he'd be willing to draw up the design for a t-shirt ( would have to be less detailed). So that's cool :). He probably wouldn't be upset if someone else used his design (loosely) to do the same, though :)

Top Bottom