Gig Bag Suggestions?

tm3

Reaction score
Seeking input on a gig bag. I'm familiar with, and like, Gator Case for around $25-30 but just wondering what else might be competitive, especially if a better deal.

I've already returned one "bargain" case ($12) from Amazon that was junk.

Thanks!

When a uke arrives in a gig baq, I replace the bag with a traditional hard case. I don't even like the zippered hard cases. There are good cases available for $25 - $35, for general use. For something more demanding, I like the Crossrock cases. I have a pile of gig bags gathering dust. I'll probably sell them with their appropriate ukes, if that day ever comes.

I have a very nice Kinsman padded case for one of my guitars, got that in a good deal, its a well padded case. I'm sure they do uke cases too.

My ukes stay in hard cases in my office, but I carry them to jams, church, etc. in padded gig bags most of the time. I look for ones with decent sized pockets on the front for extra gear (tuner, capo, pens & pencils, car keys, misc. stuff). HMS has some new ones by Sonoma/Kala? That have 2 front pockets. They are more in the $50-$60 range.

I've got a Cordoba gig bac, that came with the Cordoba soprano. That is the current home for my 1920s Stella Banjo Uke, which rarely leaves the building. (I'm not worried about it, it just has no intonation above 5th fret, with the frets directly in the neck.) The only other gig bags I will use are Reunion Blues Continental. I haven't run into any other gig bags under $90 I'd trust my instruments in.

Everything else lives in a Hard Shell Case. I don't even care for the polyfoam cases.

-Kurt​

Hard case

I typically leave the house with two or three instruments dangling off my body so I retired my hard cases long ago (my back and shoulders thanked me for that!). The ProTec gig bags are very protective and a good value for the bucks. Plus, the dense foam is great insulation for hot days riding in car trunks. My hard cases—wood ones anyway—tended to heat up much faster than soft cases.

Last edited:
I have this case for my concert. Very heavily padded

Sdace2A.jpg

Lots of good suggestions for me to look into. Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I haven't shopped a whole lot for gig bags, but I recently bought a TGI ABS (plastic) case.
I wanted something I can sling over my shoulder with more comfort than a hard case, but with better protection than a gig bag.
It looks good and seems to protect my uke snugly, but the hinges for the strap makes a horrible noise. I am not sure about my verdict yet.
I dont have that many ukes that didnt come with a case, and for those I have I am not going to look for a bargain to. jeg honest. I will look for the case that I like the best, (within reason of course).
If I have a $500 uke, I dont mind spending 100-150 on a case that completes the experience of getting my uke out.

Seeking input on a gig bag. I'm familiar with, and like, Gator Case for around $25-30 but just wondering what else might be competitive, especially if a better deal.

I've already returned one "bargain" case ($12) from Amazon that was junk.

Thanks!

Maybe I’ve missed something here but you don’t seem to have defined the degree of protection that you’re looking for and the fragility of the instrument to be protected isn’t mentioned either. The (red letter) TGI bags mentioned by someone else work fine for me, but I don’t think that they’re available outside of the U.K. and they offer limited impact / crush protection. I haven’t found a need for hard cases at all but YMMV; based on my experience of damage I might risk a 1000 pound Uke in a gig bag but there’s a point at which a case becomes more worthwhile. It all depends on where the Uke is being taken and how carefully it will be looked after.

Ukes are quite robust and particularly so the laminate ones. I’ve yet to damage a Uke or hear of one damaged within a gig bag: an unattended Uke falling off of a table or being sat on is more likely to result in damage. When I go on holiday I pack my Uke in a thin gig bag within my main bag and pack clothes around it, that seems to work just fine for me.

Last edited:
The first post dates from November 2019. I wonder what TM3 ended up with for the soft case?

I ended up with a Martin gig bag that I really like. Suits the purpose, seems well made, and until I open it up and prove otherwise folks think that I have a high quality Uke!

I ended up with a Martin gig bag that I really like. Suits the purpose, seems well made, and until I open it up and prove otherwise folks think that I have a high quality Uke!
Haha. Awesome.

I was going to suggest Kaces too...but yeah..old thread. Glad you found something you're happy with.

Top Bottom