Going on up- I'm looking at tenors in the Anuenue moonbird quality and price region. Mass market or consider luthier built?

Not sure, Tim, where you got the $600 under the MB price

Oops, a typo, should have been $300, as I noted in my previous post. I'd noted elsewhere that you could get the Master Pono and have enough left over for one of the Anuenue Color series. Those are sub-$200, so I wasn't thinking it was miles apart. Just enough lower that you could get the Pono Master and a really fun Anuenue uke too. 😁 (Baz has bought two of them iirc!)

Glad you caught it! As I also mentioned, I also came away loving the MB even more than I'd intended to -- especially notable because I'd considered it a Holy Grail uke going in-- so really no disrespect intended!

Sound is so so subjective. If I had none and had to choose between the 3 K Brands and the moonbird I would pick the Koaloha KTM first. You just cant go wrong with a Koaloha. I have played a cedar bird, moon bird and a UT3. Between the 3 the UT3 to me is probably a better comparison to the 3K Brands and stands out against the other 2 birds. But it’s not cheap. I personally find the birds too bright sounding. Sting tension seems higher too, but that could be due the the strings they use. Some may like this more. It’s all subjective. I have also played a few Kanilea. One was a redwood top with the D sound hole. I can’t remember the model right now. I think the birds sound wise are probably closer to the Kanilea than the other 2 Brands. Kamaka on the other hand has its own unique Hawaiian sound, which over time grows on you. Whichever one you pick they are all great ukes and you’ll love them. The Koaloha Opios are much cheaper and really worth every penny imo.

Well, since you have and love the AMM3, as I do, you would probably be pleased with the Moonbird. I wanted one, but didn'really want to spend that much money on it. I was fortunate enough to find a lightly used one on our Marketplace. So that scratched that itch. I don't know if you have any of the Hawaiian brands, but I just want to add that myKoAloha KTM-00 is another of my favorite ukes. It's comfortable, easy to play, and has a beautifully warm, bubbly tone. Another uke that just makes me happy to play besides my AMM3.

Last edited:
I have also played a few Kanilea. One was a redwood top with the D sound hole.

I went to the Kanile'a store at Ala Moana just before Christmas (a proper story for another day), but ooh la la, the D sound hole is my new jam! I played a dozen models, easy, maybe a dozen and a half, including the 2022 Platinum, but nothing caught my ears and eyes like the D series!

I tried two super tenors, both an all-koa and koa topped with the most gorgeous piece of rainbow cedar that I've ever seen, and both blew me away. Among the things that jumped out at me was the volume from both the front and the soundport. When I first auditioned a bunch of ukes with side soundports at my summer visit to HMS, they struck me as...okay. Nice, but no biggie. I felt like the D-series soundports were blowing my hair back like that dude in the Maxell tape ad from the 70s. LOL My heart beat faster, and I started sweating, in a good way. LOL

And it happens that just a few hours ago, Kalei posted a sound sample of a custom super tenor D series model with bearclaw spruce on top of koa back and sides. Jaw-dropping.

Admittedly not in the same price range as the MoonBirds and Master Series ukes, but something D-related is officially my new holy grail. Life circumstances put a new uke like this a couple of years out at least, but dreams are nice. 😊

I went to the Kanile'a store at Ala Moana just before Christmas (a proper story for another day), but ooh la la, the D sound hole is my new jam! I played a dozen models, easy, maybe a dozen and a half, including the 2022 Platinum, but nothing caught my ears and eyes like the D series!

I tried two super tenors, both an all-koa and koa topped with the most gorgeous piece of rainbow cedar that I've ever seen, and both blew me away. Among the things that jumped out at me was the volume from both the front and the soundport. When I first auditioned a bunch of ukes with side soundports at my summer visit to HMS, they struck me as...okay. Nice, but no biggie. I felt like the D-series soundports were blowing my hair back like that dude in the Maxell tape ad from the 70s. LOL My heart beat faster, and I started sweating, in a good way. LOL

And it happens that just a few hours ago, Kalei posted a sound sample of a custom super tenor D series model with bearclaw spruce on top of koa back and sides. Jaw-dropping.

Admittedly not in the same price range as the MoonBirds and Master Series ukes, but something D-related is officially my new holy grail. Life circumstances put a new uke like this a couple of years out at least, but dreams are nice. 😊

Before we get back on the rails, I'm gonna jump in to agree with this!! I was at the Windward Mall location yesterday and played everything I could get my hands on. It was near closing, I was the only one in the store, and the clerk must've felt my ukeaholism, so she went to the back and busted out the three new custom models for me!! (Another story for another time). All that said, the DK-T was thousands cheaper and sounded just as nice or better!.. in my amateur opinion, of course.

To bring us back down to earth and on the OP topic, I'd have to agree with many points already made (ie, I'm no help). It's really a matter of your sound preference! I will add Romero Creations into the mix, if you dig the low G, classical type feel. I'd say, not as bright or loud as a KoAloha or as shimmery as aNueNue, but very well balanced and clean sound.

He does have a new "Classic" line that has the reverse fan bracing and French polish on some unique wood sets that might be a step closer to a luthier built uke... those are going for $2k.

TUS has some cedar top TTs right now that might be worth a listen! There's a grand tenor, for all the low end you can get!

For that low end growl, the Blackbird Farallon is a beast.

I can also vouch for a cedar top KoAloha! All the volume of KoAloha with a bit more warmth. I love mine! It's one that I don't think I'd ever sell.

I think you're gonna be stoked no matter what. Looking forward to your future NUD!

As far as luthier built ukes go, this Compass Rose was posted in the "Please, somebody buy this" thread (can we start normalizing PSBT?). Is there a nicer luthier built uke at this price point available anywhere?

I don't think anyone ever finds their "One and only" uke. Keep an eye on the used market and sometimes you can find a good deal. I found a uke I really was in love with for half price of what they are new and it was less than 2 years old and in perfect condition.

Sound is so so subjective. If I had none and had to choose between the 3 K Brands and the moonbird I would pick the Koaloha KTM first. You just cant go wrong with a Koaloha. I have played a cedar bird, moon bird and a UT3. Between the 3 the UT3 to me is probably a better comparison to the 3K Brands and stands out against the other 2 birds. But it’s not cheap. I personally find the birds too bright sounding. Sting tension seems higher too, but that could be due the the strings they use. Some may like this more. It’s all subjective. I have also played a few Kanilea. One was a redwood top with the D sound hole. I can’t remember the model right now. I think the birds sound wise are probably closer to the Kanilea than the other 2 Brands. Kamaka on the other hand has its own unique Hawaiian sound, which over time grows on you. Whichever one you pick they are all great ukes and you’ll love them. The Koaloha Opios are much cheaper and really worth every penny imo.
"Birds sounds are too bright"- I've noticed that and thought it was just my ears. That's the one thing that I don't like about the bird series albeit the cedar bird sounds more mellow than the moon bird- by video that is, through headphones. The new Singer series seem bright as well. I was wondering about Kanilea- I don't recall seeing a lot about them here...I guess it's probably because I'm late to the ukulele party ;)
Kamaka is a serious choice for me but I have to resolve the fact that a $2k Kamaka looks exactly like my $60 Aklot...except it sounds better. The fancy schmancy Kamakas are beyond my price point for now ;D
Of course now there's Barron river ukes to consider...

"Birds sounds are too bright"- I've noticed that and thought it was just my ears. That's the one thing that I don't like about the bird series albeit the cedar bird sounds more mellow than the moon bird- by video that is, through headphones. The new Singer series seem bright as well. I was wondering about Kanilea- I don't recall seeing a lot about them here...I guess it's probably because I'm late to the ukulele party ;)
Kamaka is a serious choice for me but I have to resolve the fact that a $2k Kamaka looks exactly like my $60 Aklot...except it sounds better. The fancy schmancy Kamakas are beyond my price point for now ;D
Of course now there's Barron river ukes to consider...
I think lots of ukes have a low-end resonance that microphones - even good ones - can't really pick up that well. ANueNue are no exception. I thought the UC3K Koa Bird concert I bought sounded much brighter via video than it did in my hands. It has some high-end of course but above all the mids and lows shine the most. It's wonderfully full and warm sounding. A Moon Bird sounds definitely brighter with the spruce top but even they have a wonderful low-end tone to them. Even my Moon Bird soprano sounds nice and warm compared to many other sopranos or even concerts. I wouldn't worry about the sound of a Moon Bird unless you dislike the brightness and punch of a spruce top.

I think lots of ukes have a low-end resonance that microphones - even good ones - can't really pick up that well. ANueNue are no exception. I thought the UC3K Koa Bird concert I bought sounded much brighter via video than it did in my hands. It has some high-end of course but above all the mids and lows shine the most. It's wonderfully full and warm sounding. A Moon Bird sounds definitely brighter with the spruce top but even they have a wonderful low-end tone to them. Even my Moon Bird soprano sounds nice and warm compared to many other sopranos or even concerts. I wouldn't worry about the sound of a Moon Bird unless you dislike the brightness and punch of a spruce top.
My favorite uke is my AMM3 with low g. I do prefer lower tones and in an ideal world I would find a ukulele somewhere between a concert and my AMM3 low g- not too high on the ends but not as low as low g. I own a sparkly jangly loud aNueNue UC10 and it fulfills all my concert needs and then some. I think if I purchase a "bird" it will either be a koa or the cedar because I find spruce a little to bright.

I don't think anyone ever finds their "One and only" uke. Keep an eye on the used market and sometimes you can find a good deal. I found a uke I really was in love with for half price of what they are new and it was less than 2 years old and in perfect condition.
I had been thinking about starting a thread with the header "One and only", and asking if people have found one. Just never got around to it.

IA with checking the used market for good deals.

I saw in the Barron River thread that you liked those. Not sure where you are located, but the price for those of us in the US is very reasonable for a custom ukulele. Not sure if that fits your price limits, though - but worth checking out, in case you can manage it. Advantages of a true custom build are being able to specify nut width, choice of bridge style, pick wood or wood combination that appeals to you, and have it built for you.

Of course, I've never played a BR yet, but they sure seem like they'll be great. Time will tell as I wait my turn.

We're lucky to have so many options available these days. Enjoy the hunt, and enjoy whatever ukulele you decide to try.

Edit to add:
I think LoPrinzi might fit your price range. If that neck works for you, that might be an option to consider.

Last edited:
I had been thinking about starting a thread with the header "One and only", and asking if people have found one. Just never got around to it.

IA with checking the used market for good deals.
I have been wanting to do the same thing but start too many topics as it is and don't want to wear my welcome out around here. I am really curious if anybody has found one.

Hey! TUS now has one cedar bird tenor with a tiny string ding for only $1,248. FYI
( Warning: shameless self-promotion.)
I think you can't wrong with an Ohana TK-80 unless you're a professional or really want to treat yourself to a more top-of-the-line instrument. And, who doesn't? They sound great and they are easy and fun to play. And, that's why we do play, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom