Good Amazon Deal , New Islander Mango Concert $163.55

DJ Mango

Reaction score
DELETED BY ORIGINAL POSTER

Last edited:
Sweet Jesus, I really wish people would stop recommending Amazon!
I'm not really recommending Amazon , I'm recommending Islander .
I don't know anywhere on Oahu where you can buy an Islander set-up by the dealer .
TUS does not stock them regularly .
I contacted a mainland dealer for a uke with set up (not this one) and shipping was $65 .
So this Islander would be $314 vs. $163 .
I thought it was a good deal .
Sorry ; I won't post Amazon links anymore and will delete the original post later .

Kaimuki, you have nothing to apologize for. There is nothing wrong about buying from Amazon. It's not a good idea for beginners who know nothing about Ukuleles. It's a buyers beware marketplace, and there is a lot of junk out there. But, if you are someone who knows what they want, and you see the item on Amazon for a good price, there is no reason not to buy it there. "Well, what about setups? you say. Well, an experienced and knowledgeable Uke player should know how to do that for him/herself. I do. It wasn't hard to figure out, and the all the necessary tools are readily available ....... wait for it ....... on Amazon! So, go figure.

......and only one left in stock. Probably just trying to get rid of the last one.

Kaimuki, you have nothing to apologize for. There is nothing wrong about buying from Amazon. It's not a good idea for beginners who know nothing about Ukuleles. It's a buyers beware marketplace, and there is a lot of junk out there. But, if you are someone who knows what they want, and you see the item on Amazon for a good price, there is no reason not to buy it there. "Well, what about setups? you say. Well, an experienced and knowledgeable Uke player should know how to do that for him/herself. I do. It wasn't hard to figure out, and the all the necessary tools are readily available ....... wait for it ....... on Amazon! So, go figure.
VegasGeorge ,
I understood the OP's objection as support your local music shop or an independent music shop .
Or don't buy a ukulele without set-up . Or all of the above .

I just noticed that The Ukulele Site posted an Islander AC-4 to their website today .
If that was a model I wanted , I would pay the $15 higher than Amazon price , plus the shipping , vs. free from Amazon .
And order the $40 Full Set-Up .

I'm not really recommending Amazon , I'm recommending Islander .
I don't know anywhere on Oahu where you can buy an Islander set-up by the dealer .
TUS does not stock them regularly .
I contacted a mainland dealer for a uke with set up (not this one) and shipping was $65 .
So this Islander would be $314 vs. $163 .
I thought it was a good deal .
Sorry ; I won't post Amazon links anymore and will delete the original post later .
Not everyone cares about Amazon posts and some are glad to see it. Those who aren’t are welcome to not buy.

I also am not a big fan of Amazon (for many reasons), but should we be policing people's values and behavior here unless it does direct harm to the recipient? Example, I am Jewish and am deeply sensitive to the oppressive of Jews, and am not a fan of "Jesus" being invoked in forums like this (i.e. your exclamation, "Sweet Jesus.") Should I be policing you for this? Of course not, it is your right, your values, your language, your life. IMHO. Regardless of my feelings, it is your right, just as it is the right of someone to buy from Amazon. Should you wish to put forth an educated perspective, fine, but your post does not do that, it seems designed to control another adults behavior (that, sadly, millions engage in daily).

DELETED BY ORIGINAL POSTER
I wish you hadn’t deleted that post, now I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

Because I don’t like many of Amazon’s business practices I normally will not buy from them and I won’t encourage others to buy from them either. However if they have what I want at some knock-down price then I’m happy to utilise them and hope that they make no or minimal profit on the transaction - ideally a loss.

Yes, so do I but I’m thinking that the OP felt that he was being helpful. Helpful is normally good and loads of folk (mostly misguidedly IMHO) use Amazon a lot. :unsure: I don’t find your comment controlling, perhaps I’m just insensitive or perhaps I’m correct in thinking that you were expressing a desire rather than giving a direction - though I accept that someone else might think otherwise. If I’d been the OP then I’d have let you air your own opinion, thought about it, moved on and let other folk make their own choices. You have your own way of doing things, the joy that you have brought to this places should surely mean a bit of tolerance towards you too and an understanding of the way that you express yourself.

Last edited:
If one argues that posts guiding people to Amazon should be ignored by those who dislike Amazon; then it follows that posts that disparage Amazon should be ignored by those who like, or are neutral towards Amazon. Nickie expressed dislike reflexively, it seems. Why not ignore it? instead of wishing it was a thesis proposal for a dissertation on the negative impact of Amazon on certain aspects of the economy? [Crossing that out because it sounds hostile, which I didn't intend.]

Last edited:
If one argues that posts guiding people to Amazon should be ignored by those who dislike Amazon; then it follows that posts that disparage Amazon should be ignored by those who like, or are neutral towards Amazon. Nickie expressed dislike reflexively, it seems. Why not ignore it instead of wishing it was a thesis proposal for a dissertation on the negative impact of Amazon on certain aspects of the economy?
Wait, what are the rules again?

No one should ever say anything that could possibly offend anybody.

Good luck!

I just noticed that The Ukulele Site posted an Islander AC-4 to their website today .
If that was a model I wanted , I would pay the $15 higher than Amazon price , plus the shipping , vs. free from Amazon .
Me too. Much better end results, I'm sure.

For the month of November , TUS is offering their $40 Full Set-UP for FREE on uke purchase of $149 and up .

Top Bottom