Gotoh UPT Planetary tuners

Edspyhill05

Reaction score
Very basic question about Gotoh UPT planetary tuners.

Am I correct that there are not Left and Right tuners? Once installed I would just turn the the tuners which ever way to take up the string on the "inside" of the post?

Those of you who use friction or banjo type tuners, is there a set way to tune strings to pitch?

Very basic question about Gotoh UPT planetary tuners.

Am I correct that there are not Left and Right tuners? Once installed I would just turn the the tuners which ever way to take up the string on the "inside" of the post?

Those of you who use friction or banjo type tuners, is there a set way to tune strings to pitch?
Hi Ed, I see that E.T. answered your first question. I'd like to chime in on your second question, regarding friction tuners, but I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're asking there. Could you clarify? Thanks!

Hi again, Ed, for what it's worth, here's a copy of some thoughts I offered a couple of years ago to fellow Forum member "Fuzzbass"...

"Fuzz, what I generally do with the frictions, as a preliminary, is to try to get a feel for an optimal "tightness" of the four adjustment screws. I'll take my screwdriver, slowly turn counter-clockwise to loosen each screw just to the threshold where the peg wants to start rotating backwards by itself, and then give the screw just enough of a clockwise turn to keep the peg from starting that backwards rotation; once you have all four pegs at that "almost-too-loose" threshold, go back and give each adjustment screw a little more of a clockwise turn, just to the point where it's clear that each peg will hold firmly. After a while, you'll be able to feel the sensation of having each adjustment screw tightened to approximately equal tightness. Sometimes I'll come back and re-check just to see if the resistance seems about equal on each screw when I apply the screwdriver; if one screw turns too easily compared to the others, I'll give it a little extra boost (tighter). You want the pegs to be a little tight (firm) to turn, but not ridiculously so. Then, as for doing your actual tuning of the uke, I've had good luck beginning with a slight "reverse" turn of the peg to flatten the note first, which seems to provide a nice pivot from which to then give it a "forward" turn to slowly bring it up to the desired pitch. Often the friction pegs can be tricky to fine-tune from their "resting" position, so that initial little pivot (with the slight flattening) comes in handy. It's definitely an inexact science, but after a while you'll kind of develop your own personal approach!"

Top Bottom