Greetings from Canada

ThomCrow

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a freelance artist from NB. I've been lingering around the forums for a while and finally made an account to post with.
I started playing uke a year and a few months ago and have loved every moment of it. I'm not very good yet but it brings me a smile every time I pick one up to play.

I used to play trombone back in high school but fell out of music as they forced us to choose between music or art and I went for the later. Of course I'm kicking myself now for not continuing in my own time and I've completely forgotten any music theory I learned :p
I didn't end up thinking about learning a new instrument again until I saw a few of Aldrine's videos on YT and fell in love with the ukulele sound.

After picking up a cheap $30 uke, realized pretty quickly that I made a mistake and got the best sounding one I could find at the local shop here, a $200 gretch. It wasn't the most stellar experience since the employees there seemed to consider ukes to be toys and didn't offer any setup for it. So it doesn't have the greatest intonation, but I'm guessing that's to be expected from a lower end uke?
I've been saving up for something nicer to replace it. (which I would love some buying advice on and I'll make a post in the buying board at some point)

I've been learning very casually over the last year and I really want to improve how I practice going forward.
I don't have any photos to share but I've recorded a couple things on my phone :p
This is an attempt at Steven Law's version of the Eva opening
Anyway this is long enough for nobody to want to read!
Cheers and greetings! :)

Welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing the very excellent video. I love the percussive technique.

Hi Thom ~ Welcome to the UU from another fellow Canadian. Originally from Halifax, I now live in Oregon. But I have very fond memories of the years I lived in Salisbury, NB, during the late ‘70’s and early ’80’s. In fact, I’ve occasionally thought about relocating back to the Moncton area. While it’s not likely to happen now, the idea still provides me with good daydreams.

In any case, it’s great to have you here on the UU Forum. It’s a good place to hang out - lots of friendly, supportive people.
(BTW, your ukulele playing is well past the “not very good yet” stage. :) )

Welcome! Impressive playing... you obviously have some music skills as your phrasing is excellent.

When you are ready, you will find a whole lot of advice on what to purchase. One way that helps is to not limit yourself to only one.

Hello all! I'm a freelance artist from NB. I've been lingering around the forums for a while and finally made an account to post with.
I started playing uke a year and a few months ago and have loved every moment of it. I'm not very good yet but it brings me a smile every time I pick one up to play.

I used to play trombone back in high school but fell out of music as they forced us to choose between music or art and I went for the later. Of course I'm kicking myself now for not continuing in my own time and I've completely forgotten any music theory I learned :p
I didn't end up thinking about learning a new instrument again until I saw a few of Aldrine's videos on YT and fell in love with the ukulele sound.

After picking up a cheap $30 uke, realized pretty quickly that I made a mistake and got the best sounding one I could find at the local shop here, a $200 gretch. It wasn't the most stellar experience since the employees there seemed to consider ukes to be toys and didn't offer any setup for it. So it doesn't have the greatest intonation, but I'm guessing that's to be expected from a lower end uke?
I've been saving up for something nicer to replace it. (which I would love some buying advice on and I'll make a post in the buying board at some point)

I've been learning very casually over the last year and I really want to improve how I practice going forward.
I don't have any photos to share but I've recorded a couple things on my phone :p
This is an attempt at Steven Law's version of the Eva opening
Anyway this is long enough for nobody to want to read!
Cheers and greetings! :)
Nice playing. Pretty impressive for only a year. Salutations.

Welcome to UU, Thom!
That's a great clip. It's clear that you're having a superb time playing your uke. Enjoy the conversations on here!

Welcome from another Canadian. Your playing is wonderful, you still have music in your fingers. I started out with a Gretsch tenor ukulele as well, after about a year other ukuleles just started showing up and staying.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, very confidence boosting! Glad to hear I'm doing alright with my playing XD
I really want to start learning more about theory and find out if there's a better way to think about the fret board in general. Rules for playing around chords. Right now I'm just figuring out everything by ear(or tabs) but I doubt that's the best method :p

Awesome! Welcome to UU...

I also started on an inexpensive ukulele, and then began moving up. My favorites are my Ponos... lots of value for the money. I got both of mine (a tenor and a baritone) used, and I love them both.

What fun!

I really want to start learning more about theory and find out if there's a better way to think about the fret board in general. Rules for playing around chords.
Check out the Uke Syllabus for Beginners by a Beginner at the top of the Beginners Forum. It will give you an excellent overview.
"Music Theory for Ukulele" by David Shipway is a good book for theory pertaining to Ukulele.
Brad Bordessa offers a short workshop on his website: “Street theory” the music theory skills that average, working musicians use to understand music and communicate with each other. He offers deeper courses as well.

Welcome Thom! You are progressing very well, loved the video.

Check out the Uke Syllabus for Beginners by a Beginner at the top of the Beginners Forum. It will give you an excellent overview.
"Music Theory for Ukulele" by David Shipway is a good book for theory pertaining to Ukulele.
Brad Bordessa offers a short workshop on his website: “Street theory” the music theory skills that average, working musicians use to understand music and communicate with each other. He offers deeper courses as well.
Thanks Kenn I'll check those out!

Hello from the UK!

Greetings from a fellow Canuck! I'm on the opposite coast, on Vancouver Island. Nice playing, well done for just a year, wow. I have found the crew here are very welcoming (as you've already discovered!) and informative and willing to share. There's so much already on the forum to discover. Enjoy!

Greetings from a fellow Canuck! I'm on the opposite coast, on Vancouver Island. Nice playing, well done for just a year, wow. I have found the crew here are very welcoming (as you've already discovered!) and informative and willing to share. There's so much already on the forum to discover. Enjoy!
Hi Ploverwing! Thanks :) For sure I wasn't expecting this amount of response honestly. I'm a bit shy and was pretty nervous to post at first but everyone's replies have put my nerves at ease.
It's been a long time since I've used a forum and I'm not actually sure if it's normal etiquette to reply directly to everyone or not XD But I appreciate all of the welcomes and compliments.
I've got a fire to keep learning!! Looking forward to combing the forums! 😤

Top Bottom