Greetings from North Wales, UK

mikef

Reaction score
Well hello UU! I'm a musician/singer-songwriter of many years currently residing in North Wales. I have recently discovered this amazing little instrument and following in the footsteps of so many others, I am completely hooked. The versatility and portability have completely won me over.

I've been playing a few months now and have already gleaned lots of useful tips lurking on UU but I thought it was time to stand up and be counted (indeed in a sudden moment of bravery I've even entered this weeks contest!).

I play a Tanglewood TU1CE which I think is a wonderful first instrument. Acoustically it sounds great and when plugged into my wee acoustic amp it has a lovely warm tone. I'm extremely pleased with it although I confess I'm already in the market for an "office uke"... just so I've got one on hand in inspiration strikes while I'm working!

So there it is... and thanks for having me! xx

hello mate and welcome aboard and well done for entering the seasons comp, loved the view from your window, anyway look forward to seeing you around the forum, all the nest from me :)

Hi and welcome from me too, it's great to have you with us! I noticed you'd done a video, looking forward to watching it as I catch up on them all! I share your appreciation of Tanglewoods - I love mine too! I think it's so good, I'm not in the market for another concert uke!

Welcome to UU. Sounds like you got bit by the uke bug. Beware, you may get strong urges to buy large number of ukuleles.

Creoso a UU - Berni ydw i. And that's about where my Welsh breaks down.

Hi Mike,

I used to live in Ffynnongroew. And my brother still lives in Prestatyn. Whereabouts are you?

I'm in usually sunny Catalonia, but the rain seems to have come out in sympathy with you, in NW, because it started pouring down as you began to sing on your video. Great job BTW - my favourite of this season. You've got a great "post-modernist" voice there! I look forward to hearing more from you on the Seasons and the Forum.

Hwl Fawr Berni (Barbablanca)

Verrill, pertyvb

I used to live in Ffynnongroew. And my brother still lives in Prestatyn. Whereabouts are you?

Just outside Mold.

I'm afraid my Welsh is exhausted at...
"ga i paned o de os gwelwch yn dda" / "can I have a cup of tea please"
... which oddly I think covers me in most situations.

Thank you all very much for your welcoming messages. Now... office uke... office uke...

Indeed welcome - one get's the urge so bad to buy another am up to 3 with another
on order to be built, and ukelele takes one over completely
this is why i wrote the Ukelele Blues song. hahahahahaha but it's all good and fun
even in the midst of fingers that never quite get over the pain one just can't put it
down. Glad to see you here. Just wish everyone weren't so far from where i live.
Cheers.

Welcome to UU. Sounds like you got bit by the uke bug. Beware, you may get strong urges to buy large number of ukuleles.

Just wish everyone weren't so far from where i live.

Well that's the beauty of wonderful forums like this. You can meet some lovely people with a common interest from all over the world, make some great friends and who knows when fate may strive to put you in the same place at the same time for a singalong and cup of strawberry-kiwi tea :)

Check out YouTube for the Snowdonia Ukulele Gatherings
of 2011 & 2012.Plenty of good stuff to see,and they were
both cracking events!
So you have no excuse not to go to NEXT years one when
it takes place! Also,you are in reach of the Bangor Ukulele
Club,run by two good players and ukuleleists that I have
met a few times!
Welcome aboard matey!

Check out YouTube for the Snowdonia Ukulele Gatherings
of 2011 & 2012.Plenty of good stuff to see,and they were
both cracking events!
So you have no excuse not to go to NEXT years one when
it takes place! Also,you are in reach of the Bangor Ukulele
Club,run by two good players and ukuleleists that I have
met a few times!
Welcome aboard matey!

Thank you kindly.
I'm not too far from Chester and The Wirral as well so there are a number of groups "in range"... I will hopefully find time to pop along soon. The Snowdonia Uke Gatherings look great, that will definitely be on my radar next year for sure!

Hi Mike,

just thought you might like to know that the links on your website don't work on Google Chrome, only on Explorer. :(

Liked Sci-Fi Movie - now listening to the heavy thump of Tremendous Dynamite.

just thought you might like to know that the links on your website don't work on Google Chrome, only on Explorer. :(

The social/stream/buy icons or stuff in the grey box at the bottom?
Hmmmm strange anyway, they seem fine here in Chrome at this end... I will double check everythting :)

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I used to live in Pantymwyn, just outside Mold. My dad still lives there, so I get to the area occasionally.

Is there a pub session near you? I might be able to drop in for a jam sometime...

Is there a pub session near you? I might be able to drop in for a jam sometime...

Hi Rick. I'm not aware of any dedicated uke nights this side of Chester. There's an acoustic open mic night in Holywell I know that I'm sure would be uke friendly. Having said that, my local pub is very music friendly. I know the landlord well and I'm sure he'd have no problem in letting us have our own uke jam and pint night if you're in the area... so just let me know :)

Welcome along mike. Good to have you on board. Great first entry to the seasons looking forward to many more from you :)

Top Bottom