Greetings From The Great Lakes

InTuneWithUke

Reaction score
Quick hello from a middle aged dad in the Upper Midwest. I've been playing ukulele for just under a year and it's been one of the best decisions I've made. Haven't progressed as much as I would like but I've enjoyed the journey so far. Practice time is at a premium with two kids under the age of six, but lately I've been working on creating a dedicated space in my house to have a more structured routine. I've run across this site numerous times in the past when looking for information and have been following more closely lately. Figured I might as well join in and contribute when/where I can.

I have four ukes in my humble collection with a fifth in the pipeline. Started my journey with a Gretsch G9100 soprano that I picked up second hand just to test the waters. Slightly older style with friction pegs instead of geared tuners. Then jumped in the deep end and reached out to a luthier to commission a custom concert in mango. Material has been sourced and I am currently waiting in queue. Next was a Rebel Creme Brulee soprano that I absolutely adore. Finally, picked up an Enya Nova U soprano and a Nova U Pro tenor to have something low maintenance and kid friendly. Kids have shown an interest in playing so maybe one day I'll get to jam with them. Can't imagine it getting better than that.

Aside from ukulele other interests include sports, travel, craft beer, bourbon, whisk(e)y, vintage outerwear, and Golden Age Americana. I collect vintage hats and am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have enough to wear a different one every week and could have bought a K-brand ukulele. I also have a more manageable collection of leather jackets and Goodyear welt footwear. Sounds like a lot when I type it out, but I've been slowly working on buying quality built and/or older things second hand to try to reduce my carbon footprint and live more sustainably. With proper care the items should last the rest of my life and outlive me.

Anyway, I guess this wasn't that quick, so I'll wrap this up by saying I'm glad to be here! :)

Welcome to UU, InTuneWithUke!
Sounds like you're off to a great start to your ukulele journey. A dedicated space might be what you need to fully enjoy your custom once it's ready. Keep your Enyas around the family room, and play your kids songs they like. Hopefully they'll indeed join in and sing along.

Quick hello from a middle aged dad in the Upper Midwest. I've been playing ukulele for just under a year and it's been one of the best decisions I've made. Haven't progressed as much as I would like but I've enjoyed the journey so far. Practice time is at a premium with two kids under the age of six, but lately I've been working on creating a dedicated space in my house to have a more structured routine. I've run across this site numerous times in the past when looking for information and have been following more closely lately. Figured I might as well join in and contribute when/where I can.

I have four ukes in my humble collection with a fifth in the pipeline. Started my journey with a Gretsch G9100 soprano that I picked up second hand just to test the waters. Slightly older style with friction pegs instead of geared tuners. Then jumped in the deep end and reached out to a luthier to commission a custom concert in mango. Material has been sourced and I am currently waiting in queue. Next was a Rebel Creme Brulee soprano that I absolutely adore. Finally, picked up an Enya Nova U soprano and a Nova U Pro tenor to have something low maintenance and kid friendly. Kids have shown an interest in playing so maybe one day I'll get to jam with them. Can't imagine it getting better than that.

Aside from ukulele other interests include sports, travel, craft beer, bourbon, whisk(e)y, vintage outerwear, and Golden Age Americana. I collect vintage hats and am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have enough to wear a different one every week and could have bought a K-brand ukulele. I also have a more manageable collection of leather jackets and Goodyear welt footwear. Sounds like a lot when I type it out, but I've been slowly working on buying quality built and/or older things second hand to try to reduce my carbon footprint and live more sustainably. With proper care the items should last the rest of my life and outlive me.

Anyway, I guess this wasn't that quick, so I'll wrap this up by saying I'm glad to be here! :)
Welcome! Greetings from an even older dad in the Deep (North American) South (GA). I've been playing uke only 8 months, and spent at least half of that on setup and upgrades to my one and only uke (high-G soprano), which started as a DIY kit Christmas gift. I'm on my 2nd week with a new set of Fremont Black Line strings which are far better than the Martin M600's I originally installed in place of the horrible nylon garbage that came with the kit. Enough about me. I agree that getting to jam with your kids is priceless. My eldest will turn 29 week after next. Kermit said it best: "Time's fun when you're having flies."

Greetings! Thanks so much for joining the conversation! I've found such a lot of help and encouragement here on this forum, I hope you enjoy your ukulele journey.

My daughter (12) just decided to pick up the ukulele, and yes, there's a lot of fun in that (when the mood strikes her).

Welcome to UU, InTuneWithUke!
Sounds like you're off to a great start to your ukulele journey. A dedicated space might be what you need to fully enjoy your custom once it's ready. Keep your Enyas around the family room, and play your kids songs they like. Hopefully they'll indeed join in and sing along.
The space is still a work in progress, but getting there. My oldest just upgraded from his toddler bed to a twin size, and in order to make room an oversized chair in the bedroom had to be relocated to the "study." Unfortunately the study had become a collection room for many of my hats, so this necessary rearrangement has motivated me to develop a more organized and dedicated space.

Greetings from the other side of the Great Lakes, Western New York.
Originally a Yooper from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but now living in northern Indiana. Only time I've been to NY was a family trip to see Niagara Falls when I was about my son's age.

Welcome! Greetings from an even older dad in the Deep (North American) South (GA). I've been playing uke only 8 months, and spent at least half of that on setup and upgrades to my one and only uke (high-G soprano), which started as a DIY kit Christmas gift. I'm on my 2nd week with a new set of Fremont Black Line strings which are far better than the Martin M600's I originally installed in place of the horrible nylon garbage that came with the kit. Enough about me. I agree that getting to jam with your kids is priceless. My eldest will turn 29 week after next. Kermit said it best: "Time's fun when you're having flies."
I picked up a pack of the M600s a while back but haven't gathered the gumption to swap out any strings yet. Been thinking of putting them on the Gretsch the past couple weeks. The Rebel has Uke Logic soft tension that work well in my opinion, but I'm wanting to try several brands/varieties.

Greetings! Thanks so much for joining the conversation! I've found such a lot of help and encouragement here on this forum, I hope you enjoy your ukulele journey.

My daughter (12) just decided to pick up the ukulele, and yes, there's a lot of fun in that (when the mood strikes her).
Definitely seems like a very welcoming community. I might not have much to offer but I figured I could at least try to contribute occasionally instead of just lurking and taking.

Last edited:
Hello from across the pond! Enjoy your journey, any musical instrument is worth the time, effort, and love that you put into it!

Hi InTuneWithUke. Welcome to the UU Forum from a Mid-Western Wisconsonite. Near La Crosse and the Mississippi River.

You're off to a great start. Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I hear those Novas can double as booster seats in a pinch... have you tried this yet?
Not yet, but I guess I can recycle the stack of old phone books now!

Hello from across the pond! Enjoy your journey, any musical instrument is worth the time, effort, and love that you put into it!
I used to play saxophone up through university, but haven't played music since then more than 15 years ago. Came to a realization that I missed it. Also, backpacked through parts of Europe for six weeks after graduating. Visited Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, England, and Scotland. Quite lovely over there across the pond.

Hi InTuneWith Uke. Welcome to the UU Forum from a Mid-Western Wisconsonite. Near La Crosse and the Mississippi River.

You're off to a great start. Enjoy the journey.
Good to hear from another Midwesterner. Closest I've been to La Crosse is Wisconsin Dells and MSP, and my wife's best friend lives in Madison so I've been there several times. I also have multiple extended family members in Green Bay.

Welcome InTuneWithUke!
Thanks, glad to be here!

Glad you're getting into the uke! I just started in mid 2021 and I'm more than addicted. Sounds like we have a similar collecting bug with some similar interests. I have a tons of hats, but not any of the vintage nature. I just ordered a bespoke hat from a Japanese maker now living in England... it's got a rolled brim, made of various bits of harris tweed. I'm trying to narrow my collection to a few that I love, since I'm also hoping to travel more. I did a couple month road trip around the US with only a few bags (and just a couple hats). It made me realize how much at home I don't really need. I guess that didn't really stop me from missing my ukes and other things.

I've also recently got into fine leather shoes during the last couple years, with my share of Trickers, Aldens, and Florshiems. There was a time before I got into the HMS podcast that I was watching hours of shoe building, repair, and shine videos. If you're into it and haven't seen the videos from Bedo's Leatherworks, you might enjoy 'em.

What's considered Golden Age Americana?

Glad you're getting into the uke! I just started in mid 2021 and I'm more than addicted. Sounds like we have a similar collecting bug with some similar interests. I have a tons of hats, but not any of the vintage nature. I just ordered a bespoke hat from a Japanese maker now living in England... it's got a rolled brim, made of various bits of harris tweed. I'm trying to narrow my collection to a few that I love, since I'm also hoping to travel more. I did a couple month road trip around the US with only a few bags (and just a couple hats). It made me realize how much at home I don't really need. I guess that didn't really stop me from missing my ukes and other things.

I've also recently got into fine leather shoes during the last couple years, with my share of Trickers, Aldens, and Florshiems. There was a time before I got into the HMS podcast that I was watching hours of shoe building, repair, and shine videos. If you're into it and haven't seen the videos from Bedo's Leatherworks, you might enjoy 'em.

What's considered Golden Age Americana?
I'm part of another forum that focuses on that era, roughly 1920s-30s, though the content has extended a decade or two in both directions, along with modern repro heritage brands (a lot of them are Japanese actually). The forum membership is a bit more than 1/3 the size of this one, but is more active based on number of posts, so it's a diehard group. We geek out over things like ad copy and artwork from old Sears mail order catalogs, zippers, textile weight, military issued items, etc. You'd fit right in with Harris Tweed and your shoe choices (I went for AE since it's closer to me in WI.)

My intro post kind of makes me sound like a hoarder, but compared to many of the members there I'm just a minnow. As much as I like the idea of being a steward of old things and use them in today's throw away society at the end of the day I'm still just accumulating stuff. At least with music I can create something. When I backpacked through Europe it was initially challenging but then liberating to have everything I needed carried in my backpack. It was a definitely a reverse culture shock when I returned home and had all this "crap." Obviously I'm in a different place in my life now with a house, wife, and kids. But sometimes I still wish I was 25 and carrying everything in a backpack. And with a ukulele now too.

Howdy Intune..., I'm also within walking distance of one of the Great Lakes. I'm on the north shore of Lake Ontario.
Something else we have in common is the hat collection. Mine's not huge, but a dozen or more (I don't count baseball caps.)
I also have two kids, but they are forty years older than yours and have a kid each of their own.
Welcome to a group that's given me a lot of pleasure and ukulele knowledge.

Howdy Intune..., I'm also within walking distance of one of the Great Lakes. I'm on the north shore of Lake Ontario.
Something else we have in common is the hat collection. Mine's not huge, but a dozen or more (I don't count baseball caps.)
I also have two kids, but they are forty years older than yours and have a kid each of their own.
Welcome to a group that's given me a lot of pleasure and ukulele knowledge.
Nice boater in your recent SOTU post!

Welcome to UU, InTuneWithUke and a big hello from Chicago! My Great Lake is Michigan.
Before kids (and COVID) I used to try to get over to Chicago once or twice a year. Hop the South Shore train and go downtown to Millenium Station. Always enjoyed going to the Blues Festival.

Greetings from the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, surrounded by beautiful Lake Superior! 😊 The Great Lakes immediately caught my eye…What area of the Great Lakes are you from?

Top Bottom