Grover 6B tuners on Fluke

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Put a set of Grover 6B tuners on my concert Fluke. The stock 2B Grovers still worked, but with no washers, had a major grind when turning, not user friendly. Even before stringing this uke, I can feel that the 6B set is silky smooth, with washers on both sides. The posts are a tad longer, and after I put the first one on, I thought the tuner opposite it wasn't going to fit, but it finally did. The only snafu was when I dropped one of the tiny cone shaped washers. It couldn't just fall on the floor, no, it had to fall down into a floor grate for the forced hot air heating duct in the floor. Arrgghh! After a half hour of reaching in that tiny space, I finally found it, along with 20 years of other assorted dust and trash. Lesson learned.

These are a drop in replacement, no drilling required. They stick out a bit longer, but look good to me. Got them thru a Sweetwater sale for $17.00 shipped on eBay.

20171116_104817.jpg
20171116_103002.jpg

I didn't even know there was a 6B. I put some 4B on a Fluke years ago and it made a nice difference...I guess the 6B should be even better. I think I remember wondering if the posts would fit too.
Once I figured out I could get geared Grovers on a Fluke, that's what I did with the last couple of products I had of theirs. I wonder why they don't just ship with the higher quality Grover friction pegs. I doubt there would be THAT much of a price difference when buying in the bulk number they do.

Those look really nice. It makes that much of a difference, huh? Perhaps I'll upgrade mine as well.

Thanks for sharing! I may replace the tuners on my Fluke and Firefly.

Are these better than the peghed tuner upgrades?

OK, I just bought 6Bs for my Flea ...

When you say drop in replacement, the 2Bs have a cone washer and the 6Bs have a fluted front washer, but, no drilling? I saw in a different post that you could spilt your headstock if your tried to force them.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this.

I think I like the 4Bs a little bit better than the 6Bs - shorter profile.

Only other difference I see is the cone washer instead of the flat one on the back ...

But 4Bs appear to be
gone from the catalog.

And I already bought the 6Bs.

Last edited:
No, the Pegheads are geared, 4x the cost, plus installation probably requires reaming. The Grover 6B tuners are drop-in replacements. Would I like Pegheads? Sure, but not worth the cost and trouble for me. YMMV.

Maybe you’d like Pegheds better—but maybe not. I personally would choose the Grover 6B. But definitely not the 2. This is a good idea, and if I ever buy a Flea I’ll do it.

I too wonder why they don’t use a better-quality peg. The money they make on up selling has got to be the reason

I have pegheds on a pretty expensive soprano - the thing I like least about it.

2Bs on a $200 - $500 ukulele? WTF?

I think the tuners look pretty good, and function is what it is all about. I ordered my Fluke with the geared peghead tuners but it's nice to know there are options for those that don't or if you buy second hand.

I purchased fluke many years ago with stock friction tuners. I could not live with them! I ordered pegheds and the Fluke became a useful instrument. I ordered stock to keep cost down. In retrospect I likely should have gotten wooden fretboard but I’m still OK with the poly fretboard. Installation was simple. Purchased a $25 reamer, and install was fast and easy. Key is remove very little material and test fit as you go.

I’d like to see MFC offer better stock tuners for the money. As said above, there are much better friction pegs, available, Grover open back would fit and pegheds work well! For cost difference if I could have gotten Grover open back geared tuners from get go for the small increase, I’d have done it. The Pegheds work like a champ and I don’t regret doing it! Friction has never been appealing to me, mind you the 2B that come with MFC are pretty weak. Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom