Guitalele

JnApple

Have my Yamaha guitalele strung up with Ernie Ball 80/20 acoustic strings and it sounds fantastic. Have been trying to map out better sounds than pretzel fingering or dead string chords that plague instruments. A D G C E A tuning so just have to account for extra bass strings. Anyone else have a six stringer?

Jim Hanks

Yes, I have three guitaleles. They are in different tunings but I think of them all as ADGCEA

I trust you have the nylon core version of those strings and not the steel core. If they are steel core, get them off immediately. How did you use the ball ends on the GL1?

JnApple

Brass and nylon, had my guy at Music Go Round put them on. It gives it a darker, deeper tone. Albert Collins use to capo his guitar at fifth fret but got darker and deeper sounds on his, but most humans can barely do what he could. Will be using that and the charango as textures on songs with ukulele as rhythm and lead. The bass dotara ( two stringer ) as bass and the gopichand ( one string ) as percussion.

Jim Hanks

Should be good then. I have a flatwound steel and nylon set on my baritone guilele tuned a step down (G to G). Gives a nice warm sound. One tenor is in B-to-b with flourocarbons and is quite bright. The other is C#-to-C#with a mix of flats and flouros - kind of in the middle.

I'd love to hear a sound sample of the brass/nylon

JnApple

Real soon. It might not be recognized chords but it shows the range. Your tunings sound awesome I am sure.

Jim Yates

Brass and nylon, had my guy at Music Go Round put them on. It gives it a darker, deeper tone. Albert Collins use to capo his guitar at fifth fret but got darker and deeper sounds on his, but most humans can barely do what he could. Will be using that and the charango as textures on songs with ukulele as rhythm and lead. The bass dotara ( two stringer ) as bass and the gopichand ( one string ) as percussion.

Albert also had his guitar tuned (usually) to open F minor (F-C-F-Ab-C-F). He sometimes capoed as high as the seventh fret and I have seen a photo of him capoed at the ninth.

Albert collins capo.jpg

Last edited:

JnApple

Even without the alternative tuning, he still blows me away with his sound.