Handpan

Lideruke

Reaction score
I've been daydreaming again of owning some of these, even one of these:

They're called hanghang, a relatively new instrument out of Switzerland. Extremely difficult to get and very expensive. Other companies in other countries have made similar instruments, known generally as handpans. Sometimes I think of selling my uke collection to get one!

Last edited:
Kinda like a Jamaican Kettle Drum except inverted and played with your fingers..............COOL.............

Yeah I want one too, found them a while back on youtube. Some times they come up on ebay but not cheap.

I like this guy

Dante is great!
I prefer the scale for his hang in his Reminiscence video, though.
And yes, hanghang are very expensive on ebay! There are other handpans that are a lot less expensive, but most start in the $2000 range. There are some of somewhat lesser quality starting around $1200, same price as a really good uke.

I always wanted some steel drums. Reminds me of an upside down steel drum. Would love to hear Yellow bird played on one.

The British jazz group The Portico Quartet have been using these for quite a few years.

I've never seem those before either. Thanks for posting. I like the sound and it doesn't look like they need to be humidified! Cool!

Haha literally 2 days ago I was thinking I need to post a thread about this glad to see someone else knows about them. Have you ever played one? I always wanted to try one out but I looked them up and the only one I could find was like 10g. I really like this guy seems to really love the instrument and I personally think he's the best http://youtu.be/9oVbCp-WGWY

I tried a Hapi drum once which is a sort of cheaper, smaller and lighter alternative. Didn't buy it because I thought it was too limited in possibilities. A real Hang is something else!

Nice job, PanMan! It's sounding terrific. These are exciting times for the Handpan community. Lots of new makers emerging!
BIGDB, I have played one. I owned a Halo. Terrific instrument. I wasn't ready for it, so I passed it on. I still regret it....
I really like Daniel Waples, too!

Top Bottom