Happy medium in singing and strumming

Kimosabe

Generally I strum my uke with my index finger/thumb and sing along and all is fine in the world. Sometimes I use a pick and wow--it sounds so much better/stronger/louder. BUT it's hard to compete with the louder volume with my singing. Is there a happy medium? Strum lighter?! Bottom line--sure would be nice to use a pick and sing at the same time.

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Try using a felt pick instead of a plastic one. Amazon has felt picks & leather picks, as well. Both play louder than fingers usually do, but not so loudly as a plastic pick. Of course, you also could try a thin gauge plastic pick -- softer volume but a bit of a flap sound when strumming. OR you could teach yourself to use a lighter stroke when using a plastic pick.

Jan D

Kimosabe, you might want to try the Wedgie Rubber Picks. They are available in 3 levels of stiffness, and you can buy a sample pack containing one of each. I find them very comfortable to hold, and they produce a softer sound than nylon picks do.

clear

Generally I strum my uke with my index finger/thumb and sing along and all is fine in the world. Sometimes I use a pick and wow--it sounds so much better/stronger/louder. BUT it's hard to compete with the louder volume with my singing. Is there a happy medium? Strum lighter?! Bottom line--sure would be nice to use a pick and sing at the same time.

You can strum lighter, sing louder, put the mic closer to your mouth, hold the pick angled a bit differently, or any other combination of things.

bsfloyd

If you’re using a tear drop style pick, you can use one the rounded corners instead of the more common playing tip. A more rounded corner will give you a slightly quieter attack.

Rllink

You can strum lighter, sing louder, put the mic closer to your mouth, hold the pick angled a bit differently, or any other combination of things.

This. I don't use a pick with ukulele, just fingers. But I'm a singer and with guitar I use a pick. It took a lot of practice to get a light enough strum with the pick to sing over it. No tricks, just a loose wrist and a soft delicate strum will do it. You just have to try.