Hard Cases

I measured the internal measurements of my Kamoa tenor FG case for you:
Total length: 715mm
Body max length: 345mm
Upper bout width: 184mm
Lower bout width: 242mm
Note that these are the max dimensions.

Thank you for that. I need about 250mm. Bah! Humbug.

I e-mailed Ameritage and here are the internal dimensions for their stock ukulele case:

- Upper bout width: 7-1/8”
- Lower bout width: 9-1/4”
- Depth: 2-7/8”
- Total length: 27-3/4”

Since most of the questions are for MBU & LFDM, here are the pics of how they fit. For the new model cases, they also include a cushion to fit smaller tenors. The MBU is not small but looks small inside the case. However, the cushion keeps the uke snug and doesn't move around.

Thank you kindly for that. That's the ABS or Fibreglass Crossrock case? Looks like I'll be going for the Crossrock at this point thanks to your input.

Hullo.

I was loking at the Crossrock ABS case, but have seen reviews on it being cheaply built with gaps here and there or clips that don't line up.

Any and all ideas and thoughts welcome.

That has been precisely my finding as an owner of the 2013 version of the Crossrock ABS case, soprano size, just like you link on the Elderly website (I got mine from Elderly, in fact, on sale for $75). Not recommended.

Since most of the questions are for MBU & LFDM, here are the pics of how they fit. For the new model cases, they also include a cushion to fit smaller tenors. The MBU is not small but looks small inside the case. However, the cushion keeps the uke snug and doesn't move around.

I also included a pic of the case after it fell out of the trunk of an SUV...there was no damage to the uke.

Thanks for the photos. Is this a Crossrock case? If so, what modelname/number? I have a Kamoa case and have been looking for a replacement fiberglass case that's light and has backpack straps like the Kamoa case but has more room for storage (tuner, strap, spare strings) than the Kamoa case has.

Thanks for the photos. Is this a Crossrock case? If so, what modelname/number? I have a Kamoa case and have been looking for a replacement fiberglass case that's light and has backpack straps like the Kamoa case but has more room for storage (tuner, strap, spare strings) than the Kamoa case has.

Here's a quick review. The storage can hold a snark tuner but not much more. I would personally get mine at Hawaii Music Supply since Andrew can tell you if it's the old model or the 2014 model. This is the fiberglass case and not the ABS case. http://www.theukulelesite.com/crossrock-1000-case.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LM-nsMJ8U&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Here's a quick review. The storage can hold a snark tuner but not much more. I would personally get mine at Hawaii Music Supply since Andrew can tell you if it's the old model or the 2014 model. This is the fiberglass case and not the ABS case. http://www.theukulelesite.com/crossrock-1000-case.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LM-nsMJ8U&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for doing the review on the case, it was very informative. I bought one (in black) yesterday on Amazon through Fato Music -- I absolutely would have gone to HMS but had a bunch of Amazon credit. I really like that extra padding piece that you can put in for smaller tenor ukes, and even though the storage compartment is small, it is still better than nothing (which the Kamoa has).

I probably will still predominantly use my Kamoa case -- only because I really like its turquoise color -- but otherwise I think the Crossrock would be my main case to use when traveling. Thanks again for the review...

That has been precisely my finding as an owner of the 2013 version of the Crossrock ABS case, soprano size, just like you link on the Elderly website (I got mine from Elderly, in fact, on sale for $75). Not recommended.

Thank you for the feedback. Their fibreglass case seems more promising, but it's been taken off their website and few people have it in stock. Not a good sign for that one either :\

Last edited:
I use a 1000 series for mine though it's not a snug fit all around, it's snug in the right places and when closed can't move inside the case. But Brad at Live Ukulele details how his MB didn't work in one with the cutaway and I could see that making all the difference.

I can't see how that could be the case (pun intended). I use identical molds for my standard shaped and cutaways. The only difference is that the cutaway has a bite taken out of the upper bout. I'll have to talk to Brad about this.
Good styling is great to have in a case but it shouldn't trump function. What I like most about the Oahu cases is their strength and durability. I can stand on my case with my uke inside, and know that it won't be harmed. With the exception of the Ameritage, I wouldn't try this with most of the other cases mentioned here. Then again, there are probably better places to stand anyway.

I can't see how that could be the case (pun intended). I use identical molds for my standard shaped and cutaways. The only difference is that the cutaway has a bite taken out of the upper bout. I'll have to talk to Brad about this.
Good styling is great to have in a case but it shouldn't trump function. What I like most about the Oahu cases is their strength and durability. I can stand on my case with my uke inside, and know that it won't be harmed. With the exception of the Ameritage, I wouldn't try this with most of the other cases mentioned here. Then again, there are probably better places to stand anyway.

For a short drive, I keep it in the Oahu case but when you travel with lots of luggage and kids, lightweight and a strap is paramount.

Random update:

I found out why the CrossRock cases are increasingly difficult to find. Here's their new ABS zippered case, with "password lock" or "TSA lock", available in the "coming months":

product image.jpg

Product image2.jpg

Top Bottom