Harping Again (?)

Down Up Dick

Lotta good times in a Special 20, Staredge. Keep at it, you’ll be glad you did.

Down Up Dick

I’m still goin’ through my harps and harp stuff. Today I checked out my minor tuned harps. I played the harmonic ones okay, but I had to dig into my harp binder to figure out the natural minor ones. I’m still not sure how I usta play em. I’ll hafta read some more about them.

I really like the sound of minor keyed tunes. I always have a good time playing them.

Last edited:

Down Up Dick

I played my Hohner Echo tremolo harp today and had a lotta fun with it. It sounds good with folk tunes, gospel and maybe a little Bach. It’s really fun to play. I’d like a bigger one, but they’re too expensive now. I have two in C and the Echo is in G. I guess that’s enough. I usta have another one with two sides - C and G, but I gave it away to someone, maybe my son. I really liked it and played it a lot.

Down Up Dick

Tried my natural minor (Cm) harp tonight, but the session wasn’t entirely successful. It did okay with “Pretty Polly” and “Ghost Riders . . “, but I had problems trying to remember any more pieces that would fit the natural minor. I really prefer “harmonic minor” harps I guess. I have two of each, but I’m much more familiar with the harmonic ones.

Maybe, with a few more sessions, I’ll remember more tunes that will fit or something, but I still enjoyed tonight’s session.

Jim Yates

Today I checked my harps and made sure they were all playable. I also rearranged them in their cases according to their type and key. I played some too. It sure feels good.

Does anyone ever use a harp holder when playing a uke or guitar? I have one, but I’ve never used it. I just thought I‘d give it a try.
I use one on occasion. I really miss being able to use my hands though. It just isn't quite the same. Here's an old Hoagy Carmichael song I did for the Seasons Of The Ukulele. This is just first position, but it really suffers without the use of my hands. I have bent the old Elton harp holder that I bought in the early sixties right after I discovered Jimmy Reed. I have also added lock washers.

Down Up Dick

Wow! Jim, that was great. I’m a big fan of Ol’ Hoagy. One of my favorite pieces is Lazy Bones, but I like many of his others too. I guess I like the old times. I don’t seem to fit in now-a-days.