Have you ever been on the prowl for a certain uke? That style, shape, wood, look, sound.. Thee exact one you want. And it turns into years...

Not really - some day I'll get a high end uke for regular GCEA tuning, but not for a few years. No need for one right now, only 3 of my 80 or so original songs are in that tuning.

I would not say no to one of those Flight blue aqua ukes. Those are devastatingly beautiful, just looking at them gives me an adrenaline rush.

I know what I am looking for.
I am now trying to figure out what 5-string instrument Frankue plays in his videos. I intend to use the 5th string (somewhat) as would a banjo player.

I am now trying to figure out what 5-string instrument Frankue plays in his videos. I intend to use the 5th string (somewhat) as would a banjo player.

I think Frankue built those 'ukulele himself, but I could be mistaken. Check out his "Presentacion" thread here on UU.

Not really - some day I'll get a high end uke for regular GCEA tuning, but not for a few years. No need for one right now, only 3 of my 80 or so original songs are in that tuning.
Do you not like or have any desire to play other people's music in GCEA or other conventional tunings?

Do you not like or have any desire to play other people's music in GCEA or other conventional tunings?
I'm not anti GCEA! It's just that I ran across my own atypical tuning by accident - the uke arrived and I forgot to tune it before playing, and I played it for a year before it came out that I was playing on a very abnormal tuning. My only exposure to ukuleles was a teen girl playing an original song called 'My Darling My Baby' on Reddit that had a dark tint to the chords, so I just plain didn't know my own music was anything out of the ordinary.

So, the majority of my music is in D4 Bb3 C4 F4 tuning.

I'm not fussed about covers. I have a head full of my own songs demanding to be played...not really fussed about learning covers.

I'm not fussed about covers. I have a head full of my own songs demanding to be played...not really fussed about learning covers.
Seems a shame to cut yourself off from the entire history of recorded music! Plus singing and playing with others! :) There's a lot of fun and joy to be had there!

Seems a shame to cut yourself off from the entire history of recorded music! Plus singing and playing with others! :) There's a lot of fun and joy to be had there!
Yes but at the same time it would be a bit silly to force myself to learn things I'm not really interested in playing. The whole point of the uke for me is that I enjoy playing it for fun! If I change my mind, all those tabs and song sheets will still be out there.

I've done covers sometimes but in other contexts. I have a few old Youtube channels where I sing Slavic folk songs, but I'm leery of sharing those - I was in my mid 20s and my voice was still almost...stuck in adolescence then. Crackly, jittery, just nope.

I think I will always regret not getting a “ Le Noir “ built by Pete Howlett.

Top Bottom