Hawaiian Kine Recipes

Kanaka916

Super Moderator
Staff member
K den, since Stan decided to post a recipe, ukuleledaveey suggested a recipe thread and as diverse as the UU is, I thought it would be a good idea to share recipes. This is Stan's if anybody didn't see the original post. Nice thing 'bout this marinade, you can use it with everything . . .

Stan's Huli Huli Sauce
This is a marinade recipe, so don’t be fussy about measuring. Jus’ do ‘em to taste.

The recipe is enough for about three chickens, split in half. You can use chicken pieces if that’s what you have. Marinate your chicken for at least a half-hour.

1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sherry
1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1-2-more pieces ginger root, crushed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Worchestershire sauce to taste
Sriracha or Asian chili paste (or red pepper flakes) to taste
Squeeze a lemon in if you've got one

Brush the chicken with the remaining marinade while cooking over a grill. And don't forget to huli the chicken.

So simple and so tasty
T's So Easy Shoyu Chicken:

1 tray chicken thighs and drum sticks
2 cup soy sauce
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
4 pieces garlic, crushed
2 pieces ginger, crushed
1 stack green onion, diced (optional) garnish

Put all six ingredients into a large pot and let it cook together for 30-40 minutes then serve with your favorite sides.

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Howzit Bruddah Danny...
SHOYU CHICKEN
3 lb. fryer chicken
Shoyu Sauce
1 cup shoyu (Asian soy sauce)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoon honey
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce (can be found in the Asian food section in your local market)
1 whole star anise (mashed)
Garnish: Chinese parsley and green onions
Steam chicken for 30 minutes. In a frying pan combine ingredients for sauce and let simmer for 15 minutes. Place chicken in sauce and simmer chicken for 5 minutes on each side till chicken is well coated with sauce. Chop chicken and arrange on platter. Garnish with Chinese parsley and green onions. Makes about 6 servings.
MACADAMIA NUT CRUSTED COCONUT SHRIMP
1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 pound cleaned and deveined shrimp
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup crushed macadamia nuts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil. Place flour in a small bowl. Dredge shrimp in flour, then dip into coconut milk and roll in crushed macadamia nuts. Place in baking dish and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through. Serve 3 shrimp on a bed of rice topped with orange lime sauce. Makes 4 servings
CHICKEN LONG RICE
2-3 pounds chicken thighs
3 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
1 can sliced mushrooms
1" piece of fresh ginger (crushed)
1 teaspoon Hawaiian salt, sea salt, or Kosher salt
1 clove crushed garlic
4 bundles long rice (soak in warm water till soft)
2 cubes chicken bouillon
Place chicken thighs in a soup pot then cover with water and canned chicken broth. Add crushed ginger, salt, crushed garlic, mushrooms and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil then simmer 45minutes or until tender. Allow to cool, then bone and shred chicken. Reserve broth. Cut long rice in 4 inch lengths, add to broth then boil for 15 minutes. Add shredded chicken. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, or soy sauce. Makes about 12 servings.
HAUPIA (coconut pudding desert)
12 ounces chilled coconut milk
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
1/2 cup + 2 T. cornstarch
Combine all ingredients in saucepan and stir over medium heat until thickened. Lower heat and cook for ten minutes, stirring constantly to avoid lumping or burning. Pout into 8x8 inch dish and chill until set. Cut haupia into squares & serve. Serves 8-10 people.
MACADAMIA NUT CREAM PIE
1 1/3 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
5 teaspoons cornstarch
2 egg whites
1 9 inch baking pie shell
1 cup heavy cream, sweetened and whipped, or use a container of real whipped cream in a can
In a saucepan combine 1 cup of the milk, 1/4 cup of the sugar, 1/4 cup of the nuts, the salt and the vanilla; scald. Mix the remaining 1/3 cup milk with egg and cornstarch. Thoroughly stir some of hot mixture into egg mixture; return all to saucepan. Cook 5 more minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Cool 1 hour. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form then fold carefully into cooled mixture. Pour into pie shell and chill. Before serving top with sweetened whipped cream or can of whipped cream and remaining 1/4 cup nuts. Makes 8 servings

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
NO forget da hawaiian cocktails for this hot summers get togethers with family and friends...:) the last recipe is for the big parties..LOL
NO forget the hawaiian coctails girl...
MAI TAI
There are a lot of variations on this basic recipe for a Hawaiian favorite. A word to the wise, don’t have one mai tai after another, with almost 4oz. of liquor and that fruity flavor you might be dancing a hula to the pounding in your head!
2 oz. light rum
1 oz. Triple sec orange liquor
1 tbsp. Orgest almond liquor or almond flavored syrup
1 tbsp. Grenadine
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 dash 151prf. rum or dark rum (optional)
Shake ingredients (except the dark rum) and strain into a large glass about 1/3 full with crushed ice. Decorate with a maraschino cherry speared to a wedge of fresh pineapple. Top with a dash of dark rum for that reddish color, or for sure inebriation 151 proof rum. Put an orchid in each drink for the full Hawaiian
CHI-CHI
1 1/2 oz vodka (non-alcoholic chi-chi omit the vodka)
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz cream of coconut
1 slice pineapple
1 cherry
Blend vodka, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut with one cup of ice in an electric blender at a high speed. Pour into a wineglass, decorate with the slice of pineapple and the cherry, and serve.
BLUE HAWAII
1 oz light rum
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz Blue Curacao
1 oz Cream of coconut
1 slice pineapple
1 cherry
Blend light rum, blue curacao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut with one cup of ice in an electric blender at high speed. Pour contents into a highball glass. Decorate with the slice of pineapple and a cherry
LUAU PUNCH
1 gallon pineapple juice
6 ounces lime juice
2 quarts vodka
2 quarts 7UP or Sierra Mist
1 quart brandy
1 quart tonic
Ice cubes to chill
Mix all ingredients in a large punch bowl.

ukuleledaveey

Thanks guys really appreciate this, can't wait to try some of these, and I will post my chicken and pumpkin curry soon,have a great week guys

Kanaka916

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll try it tomorrow and let you know:)

You ever have Kirstie's Kookies here? I've been trying to copy those. I'm getting close!
So, did it meet your expectations? Where's da samples?

Trinimon

Woah, food! Now we're talking! Bruddah Stan, you gonna have to cook for me when next I'm in Oahu! haha

anybody get one simple kulolo recipe? my lo`i finally get enough kalo for poi and kulolo.

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Just a bump for those who haven't seen this. It's prime grilling time of year here

A friend came back from Oahu and brought some Li Hing Mui back for me. My taste buds were transported back to 3rd grade! Might have to keep it up with some Huli Huli this weekend.

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
No but I did learn the trick of dropping one in beer. Something you don't learn in the 3rd grade!

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
or putting one in a half lemon....my mouth watering now..lol