Headstock dropping

I'm surprised that Lori didn't mention it, but, if you use one of her straps and hook it to your bicep or belt, your Head should stay up--no problem. Check out her adverts. I made a couple of my own and they work well.

This is the answer to your problem! :eek:ld:

I'm surprised that Lori didn't mention it, but, if you use one of her straps and hook it to your bicep or belt, your Head should stay up--no problem. Check out her adverts. I made a couple of my own and they work well.

This is the answer to your problem! :eek:ld:

Hi Down Up Dick. Thanks for the support. For a baritone, the Uke Leash half strap approach will work for sitting, but the baritone might be too big for standing. A full strap would be better in that case. Of course, there are Uke Leash Guitar Style Straps for those ukes.

–Lori

I would have liked to use the button but it's not gonna fly with the balance like this. I'm gonna try the leather strap and some kind of counter wt at the jack (like a strap lock). If that doesn't do the trick, it's gonna have to go to the headstock. I don't like it tied by the nut, as I feel like it's too close to my fretting hand, but I always wondered if between the tuners would affect the tuning (rubbing and moving the tuners, esp. friction ones).
Headstock strap can be positioned so it doesn't interfere with the tuning keys. See photo from Uke Leash manual. In my experience, this has worked very well on both types of tuners.
ukeleash_hang_tag_HS.jpg
–Lori

Yes it does. I have made several Uke straps with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043FFEQI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 by measuring to me and then hole punching each end and then cutting a slit just long enough to still have a secure hole. My Ukes do not slip around because one side of the leather is raw. One Uke strap made this way is cheap, comfortable and light as a feather. I seriously could make these up and sell them but I would rather share the idea with the our Uke friends here.

WOW, does this work! I have a Tandy Leather Store right around the corner. The saddle strings were on sale for $4. 5 minutes to measure, punch and slice. No more head drop! GREAT IDEA!!! Thanks for sharing.

Yes it does. I have made several Uke straps with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043FFEQI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 by measuring to me and then hole punching each end and then cutting a slit just long enough to still have a secure hole. My Ukes do not slip around because one side of the leather is raw. One Uke strap made this way is cheap, comfortable and light as a feather. I seriously could make these up and sell them but I would rather share the idea with the our Uke friends here.

Ebay is another good source of this type of material. Search for "leather strapping" or something similar and you will find plenty in various widths and thicknesses.

I have some cotton straps with music designs that I got from a UK ebay seller (she also has ones with ukuleles on them) and I was looking for something to make a headstock attachment instead of the length of bootlaces supplied. Something a bit like this. These are sold for guitars and I wanted some to fit my ukes so I thought I would make my own.

Last edited:
Headstock strap can be positioned so it doesn't interfere with the tuning keys. See photo from Uke Leash manual. In my experience, this has worked very well on both types of tuners.
View attachment 86823
–Lori

I use Lori's guitar style uke leash and it works great. It is attached to my headstock and the balance is treat on all my ukes. It doesn't irritate me, not slide-y and not too grabby. Just right!!!!

I got a uBass as a gift and have ordered a slightly thicker strap for that. Excited to see how it feels.

Darn it, but is anyone else bothered by their headstock dropping when using their strap? One of my baris has an end pin and then a strap button on the underside of the heel. The strap rotates around my neck and the headstock drops toward the ground as soon as I let go. I would wish it would be more balanced. I find it distracting enough to move the strap to tie at the headstock for better balance. Anyone else experiencing this?
I was playing sitting and strapless (supporting uke in my lap) for the most part but am trying to use a strap to be able to play standing and also to give my left hand more freedom of movement.
Is this imbalance a Bari thing or do smaller ukes have this too?

One benefit of the Mobius Strap over standard guitar-type straps is that it holds the neck in a stable playing position without the use of either hand. In fact, it depends on the weight of the neck to balance properly!

Top Bottom